ACN Latitudes Forums

televison

Ok I heard the electronics can cause tics? Never heard of this until I was doing some research on this forum. Anyone know anything about this? Does this mean no more electronics or to just greatly reduce them? I honestly usually fall asleep with the television on like everyday. Its just a habbit I have where I absolutely need something on preferbally the television to fall asleep? Well any info on this would be great. Thank and have a great night. Back to English Essay. ^_^

Ok I heard the electronics can cause tics? Never heard of this until I was doing some research on this forum. Anyone know anything about this? Does this mean no more electronics or to just greatly reduce them? I honestly usually fall asleep with the television on like everyday. Its just a habbit I have where I absolutely need something on preferbally the television to fall asleep? Well any info on this would be great. Thank and have a great night. Back to English Essay. ^_^

Some people have reported that activities requiring intense concentration like playing video games (and therefore looking at the TV) actually reduce tics.

I haven't really noticed any correlation. I have two LCD monitors at my computer and sometimes when I've been using them for awhile (which is most of the time, lol), my blinking tics get really bad, I'm talking like a hard blink every 5-10 seconds. Other times it's not bad at all. Same thing with watching TV.

If it does cause a reaction, I would guess that it has more to do with the refresh rate or the frequency of the images on the screen rather than the electronics themselves. Keep in mind that's entirely a guess and isn't backed up with any research or scientific thought.

edit - I believe I remember reading something here about someone having better results when switching from CRT (the old kind of TV/monitors) to LCD (the new flat kind). Again I haven't noticed a difference.

photosensitive people can tic more from light flicker on CRT screens, movies, fluorescent lighting etc

many people with TS have sensory integration dysfunction (ie hypersensitive senses) and electronic sounds can impact their tics too. My son is reactive to high treble (even background noise in electronics) as well as base boom, and those microphone squeeeeeeeks can set his tics off too

our integrative doc also suggested using a cotton filled futon bed rather than coiled springs as my son's sensitivity to electro-magnetic fields would be minimized by removing metals from his bed

photosensitive people can tic more from light flicker on CRT screens, movies, fluorescent lighting etc

many people with TS have sensory integration dysfunction (ie hypersensitive senses) and electronic sounds can impact their tics too. My son is reactive to high treble (even background noise in electronics) as well as base boom, and those microphone squeeeeeeeks can set his tics off too

our integrative doc also suggested using a cotton filled futon bed rather than coiled springs as my son's sensitivity to electro-magnetic fields would be minimized by removing metals from his bed

Um I have a magnetic matress. Is that bad?

I think the magnetic thing depends on who you are and what makes you 'tic'. Chemar's son is very reactive to a lot of stuff. He doesn't even eat with metal utensils b/c he is sensitive to metals. Her son is also VERY reactive to chlorine and they filter all their water to remove chlorine and her ds does not swim in pools that are chlorine treated. Everyone is different, that's what makes this so hard for us. What works(or doesn't work) for one person may/may not work for another. It's all trial and error. I still have NO idea what makes my son wax and wane with his tics but at least I've found a supplement that helps his OCD. It's all part of your detective process!

I think the magnetic thing depends on who you are and what makes you 'tic'. Chemar's son is very reactive to a lot of stuff. He doesn't even eat with metal utensils b/c he is sensitive to metals. Her son is also VERY reactive to chlorine and they filter all their water to remove chlorine and her ds does not swim in pools that are chlorine treated. Everyone is different, that's what makes this so hard for us. What works(or doesn't work) for one person may/may not work for another. It's all trial and error. I still have NO idea what makes my son wax and wane with his tics but at least I've found a supplement that helps his OCD. It's all part of your detective process!

Ok I understand that. Just making sure the magnetic matress wasn't hurting me. It supposed to help withs tics and I hope it is not to sure thoe.