ACN Latitudes Forums

flax

Guest Guest_efgh

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar

Any idea if flax oil causes weight loss ? My son who has been on it for the past three months seems to be losing a couple of kgs.. Could it be due to flax.. Chemar, your formula for your son contains flax.. Did you notice this too.

One more thing, any idea why generally motor tics precede vocal tics.. and is it the normal pattern for vocal tics to start with mild sounds, then become loud and then become words or phrases?? If they start uttering words or phrases , does that mean things are getting bad?? was the pattern the same with your son? worried since my son's vocal tics seem to be on the rise these days.

Flax aids in digestion, but i dont know about actual weight loss.

As to the tics, efgh, you will find that the nature of TS is that tics KEEP CHANGING and they come and go all the time.

This waxing and waning is very characteristic of TS.

To answer your question from another thread...yes, touching and repeating are very common tics too.

I can sense that you are very anxious and concerned and i really want to encourage you to take a deep breath and try to relax.

Most tics stay mild and in numerous cases they even disappear after a while.

If this is TS, you are going to have to learn to accept it. By doing so, you will spare yourself a lot of anxiety and stress.

Yes! There are many things you can do to make things more manageable, like the good diet, careful environment, correct supplements and especially, minimal stress and anxiety.

But, if it is TS, there is as yet no known absolute cure.

For both my son and our whole family, our biggest breakthru came when we learned to accept the fact that he had TS, and started letting the mild symptoms be. We have actually come to find many of my son's motor and vocal tics to be rather endearing, and they are just part of him.

Even his friends dont even notice the mild tics anymore.

I truly think you will be so much better equipped to deal with all this if you can get clear diagnosis...whether PANDAS or simply tic disorder or actual TS or whatever....once you know what you are dealing with, you can then have a baseline of what is happening and how best to treat it.

My thoughts and prayers are with you because I sure have been in the place you are now, and i fully understand why you feel so overwhelmed.

Just try your best to relax...and remember....there is much reason for hope as I can testify!

Goodnight :)

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar,

thanks a lot Chemar for your WARM AND SOOTHING WORDS. you are really too kind and helpful. Its very rare for someone to be so kind and concerned in this ever busy world!!!

Reg. diagnosis, our doctor says that its prudent to wait and watch for a year or so since the symptoms began. he says with or without the official diagnosis of TS, the approach is the same as long as the tics don't interfere with the day to day life of the child. he says calling it TS or not is just a label and it does not change the way we are going to deal with the problem. I feel bad to push the doctor further. Reg. pandas, he is still not aware of this and somehow I dont know or dont think my son would belong to that category since his symptoms are the same during sore throat, before or later. the only curiousity that i have is that none of us in the family have even the slightest symptom of tics .. But one thing, I underwent a lot of mental/official stress during my pregnancy and my child was prematuredly born by a month and I did not breast feed him at all. Feeling so damn guilty if that could have been the cause. and he was on a lot of asthma drugs during his childhood. may be that could be the cause.. anyway, there is no use in trying to analyse the cause. we have to move forward and try to make things better .. we can;t change the past. it feels so good to be in touch with you all .. again "a million thanks" for your time, valuable inputs and soothing words. as you rightly said, prayers can mean a lot at such difficult times. difficult to see such an intelligent and "good" child go through all this. just hoping and praying that things settle down better pretty soon. I seem to be losing a lot of weight in this "worrying" process.

his tics are very minimal during the day and becomes more prominent at around 6 pm till bed time in the evening.. is it a common phenomenon too?

by the way, I have started on the multivit 3 days back.. planning to start on bonnie's supplement soon but trying hard to convince my son since he is so choosy about food and I am sure he cant swallow them.. planning to probably start on 1/8 of the dose initially. moreover he has been on "no milk" since a month just as a trial. probably reduced calcium is aggravating his tics???? dont know..

Guest Guest_efgh

TS is assumed to be a rare disorder. (the frequency is something like 1 in 2500 or so).. but from what we read in the forums, etc somehow it appears that its so very common. aren't the statistics contradicting to the actual figures?? or does that mean that more and more people are having this problem these days??

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar and Jennifer

when it comes to the word additives its often misleading and sometimes relative..

Just got a mixed fruit juice called "vitafit" and its ingredients as in the label are : fruit juice concentrate, fruit pulp, vitamin a, b1, b2, b6, b12, c, e, biotin, folic acide, ciacin and pantothenic acid and it says 100 percent fruit juice. How do I make out if it contains any artificial/offending stuff since its not explicitly mentioned. I often have a tough time figuring it out. mostly I give everything made at home from the scratch or only fresh fruits to my son. But wanted to get your advice on this since once in a while I would like to give such stuff since its full of vitamins but am not sure if its "pure".

Nancy

you mentioned in place of milk, you give Orange juice and rice milk to your son. Is it freshly prepared orange juice or ready made one?

thanks again for your replies.

Hi

Your juice sounds good to me.

It is when they say things like "natural flavors" or other nondescript items like that that i am cautious....but your juice sems to be only fruit and added vits

It is confusing sometimes and hey! stuff will slip thru....but as long as your basuc diet is good, the occasional slip isnt going to be major drastic, unless the product is LOADED with it.

Here is a real simple place to learn a bit more about the essential fatty acids like the flax, fish etc

http://home.howstuffworks.com/fat4.htm

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar, but natural flavours are harmless, aren't they?? for example the paprika flavour in organic paprika flavoured (red pepper) chips etc which mentions that its natural is harmless.

It depends on what they mean by natural flavors...if they identify them ok...

but I have seen labels claiming to be "all natural" or "natural flavors" and they are manufacturing their flavor...or some other ingredient ....eg strawberry natural flavor is misleading......is it flavored with real strawberry or is it an inert ingredient made to taste like real strawberry?

I tend to go by the motto of:

The shorter the list of ingredients on the label, the more likely (tho not certainly) that it is a healthier product.

I know one can go overboard with this, but I have just learned to be an additive watchdog. It is one of the fastest ways to set off tics when some nasty substance creeps in unidentified.

I guess the answer is to vigilent but not fanatic :)