ACN Latitudes Forums

Asperger Young Adulthood Insight Needed

Hello. This is my first post and I hope it will lead to some frank discusions.

I am the adoptive mother. There is little anyone can do to convince me our daughter does not have some form of Asperger Syndrome. To make a long story shorter, she has been going thru testing since April. We have confirmed a genius IQ, anxiety disorder, OCD tendencies, sensory issues, defiant behaviors, etc. We are working with an OT, psychologist, on behavior modification and entering into some neurological reorganization therapy. Phew.

Love her to bits. And more than anything we want her to feel that we love, respect and ACCEPT her above everything. We are just hoping to help her and us regulate our lives so that we can can continue to grow together and not be forced apart by many of her difficulties and/or our stress at trying to maintain a daily level of "calm".

Our daughter means the WORLD to us. My husband and I grew up receiving little to no "acceptance" of the people we truly are. We have always tried to go the other direction with our example and our care of our daughter.

I am a writer of sorts. (A screenwriter that is.) Mostly, I edit other people's scripts and thus, "write". However, I have decided to write an 'Ode to my daughter. And my central character will be much like her. But instead of focusing on inabilities I want to focus on how people with AS turn their difficulties into daily facets of strength or at least function that helps them achieve (move forward) and live life (good and bad).

I'm hoping some of you might be able to shed some light on your feelings as you enter(ed) your early 20's. Both in relating to your family and relating to social relationships. It's hard to find a lot about this type of thing. Which makes me believe a movie could foster more dicussion, research, groups, whatever.

I am most interested in ways that you felt different, wrong, and/or shunned vs. ways that you felt unconditional acceptance.

Please do not email me direct. I will check this board. And I ask for no names, dates, places, etc. Just your thoughts, feelings, suggestions, concerns, critisisms, etc.

Hopefully, as one person posts, it will lead to someone else's ideas and create a "flow" of sorts.

Much, much thanks. (And for any of you who care to hear it - there are parents out here in the world who really do adore you no matter what and want only what makes you happy and healthy.)

:angry:

HI,

Maybe our experience will help you a bit.

Our last child has autism, and later diagnosed with TS, severe PANDAS, all the difference that can cause people, ie. friends and even family members, ie cousins, to shy away from him and you as a family...rejection is the word.

We found acceptance of new friends that are now our family thru the organization of Special Olympics/USA.

Kids/ people with disabilities ages 8 to 60 are on many teams of sport, even bowling, riding, etc....the coaches and parents are all very weathered and experienced , having raised their kid with the disability, so we are all on the same page..having been there and done that.

Everyone accepts each other, all are friends. There is no making fun of each other, etc.

Instead of the rejection of lonliness and oneness, now there are a multitude of friends, and usually see each other at school,

church, shopping, get invited to birthday parties, graduations, prom dates and even some romance blooms...to group homes, or On My Own group...private group adults live in appts with supervision, etc.

Friendships and love gives life meaning, acceptance, and purpose for all involved.

Try it and see.

Happy Trails,

Mustang Carole