ACN Latitudes Forums

No Such Thing as PANDAS

. My concern with seeing Dr. Murphy, albeit she was at the forfront of PANDAS research, is that she is a psychiatrist and does prescribe Tennex, this drug is for High Blood pressure in adults and is used for children with ADHD.

I'm willing to see Dr. Murphy, but would like a more permenant solution to this than drugs.

Again, any information I can get is much appreciated.

Linda

Hi again Linda

dr Murphy never mentioned tennex to us...perhaps because she did not feel my son was PANDAS? but she did keep him on antipsychotics and SSRI as I mentioned before and like you, (although I realized there was no "permanent solution" for genetic TS at this time,) yet I was seeking an alternative to a life on strong prescription meds.

I dont know anything about tennex but I do know that my husband had a horrible reaction from clonidine (made him psychotic). he was given it after a steroid burst for herniated disc induced a massive waxing of his TS tics---steroids are contra-indicated for Tourette as they can intensify tics. Anyway he stopped taking the clonidine after a week because the side effects were so horrendous and he is keeping the tics somewhat controlled with Natural Calm and other supps, altho they are still much elevated than they were pre steroid burst, But the clonidine experience made him determined that he too would not take any more rx meds for his tics

I do so agree that wherever possible and especially with kids and their developing brains, one wants to try to avoid these strong meds, especially long term. I am hoping some of the parents with more recent experience with dr Murphy than mine might have more info on her current protocol for PANDAS dx and treatment.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic