ACN Latitudes Forums

Zinc, copper, B6 and pyroluria question

Can someone explain the role of zinc and B6 in pyroluria. I'm thinking of getting ds tested for this(and probably dh, too). I read that if you have pyroluria that you shouldn't have copper. Is that true? How do you avoid an element like copper anyway?

Also, I have heard of some kids getting over 50 mg of B6. Is that safe? How much does your child get?

I currently give ds 10 mg of B6 a day(it is in his neuroscience supplement combined with some other aminos) but couldn't find supplements that were small doses. Most of them were 50 or 100 mg of B6, I'm concerned about giving him too much B6. Bonnie's vitamins have 50 mg so I'd be giving him a total of 60 mg if I started him on Bonnie's and gave him the recommended dosage for his weight.

Thanks,

Bonnie

My child gets 25 mg B6 in Country Life's "Basic-B caps". Took me a long time to find a vitamin supplement with only 25 mg, which I was comfortable with for the long term.

You will need to search the site for explanations on pyroluria, but baically the disorder causes zinc and B6 deficiencies. Harmless, non-invasive urine test. I personally think it is a secondary disorder related to other immune issues and maybe oxidative stress, but still if you have it, good to correct the deficiencies.

We still do 50 mg zinc/dose. But my son is a teen and only takes vitamins 3 days a week now if I am lucky. We test annually for deficiencies (Spectracell FIA 5000 blood test) to make sure his cell levels are okay for all his vitamins. I never did do Bonnie's vitamins, instead did a customized program with our doctor and had the vitamins compounded at Village Green Pharmacy (need doc's signature) for fewer capsules. (kept calcium/mag/fishoils separate.)

Don't check in very often here...good luck!

Claire

Can someone explain the role of zinc and B6 in pyroluria. I'm thinking of getting ds tested for this(and probably dh, too). I read that if you have pyroluria that you shouldn't have copper. Is that true? How do you avoid an element like copper anyway?

Also, I have heard of some kids getting over 50 mg of B6. Is that safe? How much does your child get?

I currently give ds 10 mg of B6 a day(it is in his neuroscience supplement combined with some other aminos) but couldn't find supplements that were small doses. Most of them were 50 or 100 mg of B6, I'm concerned about giving him too much B6. Bonnie's vitamins have 50 mg so I'd be giving him a total of 60 mg if I started him on Bonnie's and gave him the recommended dosage for his weight.

Thanks,

Bonnie

We got the Pyroluria diagnosis through a urine test last summer when Tigger was still waxing and waning a bit. We discovered his food allergies shortly after and began an elimination diet. He had his vits compounded at that time and a long time after we changed his diet I noticed that the vits were too much for him on a daily basis. I kept the pyroluria vits on a shelf and just used basic supps for overall health and 'maintenance'-- B vitamins, fish oil, magnesium, and methionine or GABA at night. Having said that, the doc told us that stress is a trigger for pyroluria and that it can flare up from time to time. We recently went on holidays to visit family overseas and Tigger had a flare up (sleeplessness, fingernail biting). He is currently tic free except for the occasional nail biting. I am giving him the pyroluria vits again (a half dose of the original prescription) and that has eased it off again. His diet remains consistent.