ACN Latitudes Forums

3-D Brain scans..Are they worth it?

Well we are in month 19 of PANDAS and there seems to be no relief..DAN! Dr suggested 3-D scan to see inflammation etc..I had considered this along time ago when we didn't know what was wrong..Has anyone ever done this? It's about $3200.00 If it does show alot then it could be helpful in treatment?? not sure what to do?? My son is full of OCD & spacey and we've had 2 IVIGS with no improvement at all! THANKS..Sarah

Well, that's a whole lot of cash! Will the course of treatment be different if inflammation shows up? It seems like you're already doing a lot, treatmentwise. For me, I think I'd rather try a course of antiinflammatories and see if it helps. I believe Susan Swedo is doing a trial of minocycline (but on regressive autism subjects, with LP's that indicate inflammation) to see if there is symptom resolution with that. 'course there is always the insurance company wanting a clear dx that would warrent the treatment, but even out of pocket, it would be cheaper than 3D MRI.

I feel your desperation and sympathize, though. I sure have thrown away large chunks of money, trying to find answers and more importantly, relief.

Well we are in month 19 of PANDAS and there seems to be no relief..DAN! Dr suggested 3-D scan to see inflammation etc..I had considered this along time ago when we didn't know what was wrong..Has anyone ever done this? It's about $3200.00 If it does show alot then it could be helpful in treatment?? not sure what to do?? My son is full of OCD & spacey and we've had 2 IVIGS with no improvement at all! THANKS..Sarah

Sarah is your son on antibiotics daily? If not, I would stop all the testing and give it a try. It may take a few weeks, but it helped my son greatly!