ACN Latitudes Forums

taste buds

Hello, everyone, I haven't posted in a while. I wonder if anyone had experienced their children complaining that their food taste funny? My daughter has been complaining for the past couple of days that her taste buds are off, that the food tastes spicy or different, yet I taste it and it is ok. (No, it's not me:)). Just wonder what it means. Her tics have been more pronounced too. Thanks everyone!

My son does this. It started within a month of his first tic showing up and comes and goes. For him it was apples and apple juice. He used to eat an entire apple for a snack and then all of the sudden couldn't eat more than a bite. At the same time he quit sucking his thumb cold turkey because it didn't taste good anymore. I was shocked because he was/is a confirmed thumb sucker. I checked and discovered he wasn't even sucking it at night so I know it really must have tasted bad to him. With a week of all of this, major tantrums over nothing started, about one a week, and then the eye blinking tic came on full force. (We thought at the time the tantrums and maybe even the tics were due to the fact that without his thumb he was having trouble comforting himself/calming himself down.) After about a month of really bad tics he gradually started sucking his thumb again and the tics all but disappeared. He still gets these taste aversions periodically to apples, apple juice and his thumb but I haven't observed his tics increasing with it. He had been basically tic free for 6 months until recently and exploded with tics again - still trying to determine the triggers and discussing PANDAS with his pediatrician.

Heather

my son gets this and he calls it "funny tastebuds" :)

comes and goes with different things

I have always considered it part of his sensory integration dysfunction, which seems to occur in so many kids with neurological issues