ACN Latitudes Forums

GABA

CSP

C.P.,

No time now, but briefly, it is my understanding that both excitatory (dopamine) and inhibitory (GABA) neurotransmitters are synthesized from glutamine. GABA in its allready synthesized form is an inhibitory neurochemical.

Tami

C.P.,

No time now, but briefly, it is my understanding that both excitatory (dopamine) and inhibitory (GABA) neurotransmitters are synthesized from glutamine. GABA in its allready synthesized form is an inhibitory neurochemical.

Tami

This is good to know! I keep thinking of putting ds on GABA b/c he's ticcing at a high frequency after I gave him Theanine the other day. This particular tic just won't go away yet and I'm hoping the naturo gives me the OK to give him the GABA.

Chemar mentioned that Theanine is dopaminergenic so that might explain the tic trigger and I was hoping that GABA wouldn't do the same!

yes, GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter

from Wiki

Synthesis

Organisms synthesize GABA from glutamate using the enzyme L-glutamic acid decarboxylase and pyridoxal phosphate as a cofactor. It is worth noting that this process converts the principal excitatory neurotransmitter (glutamate) into the principal inhibitory one (GABA).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA