ACN Latitudes Forums

Sudden tic increase after snack

Overall, my son has been improving and we continue to reduce his medication (slowly) as well as follow a mostly GF diet, and eliminate all artificial ingredients and preservatives. Every time I look at him, I think to myself - Wow! he has come so far.

Yesterday he came home from camp and had a snack. Almost immediately after eating, he complained of stomach ache followed by an almost immediate increase in tics (in his case, hand clapping). His snack consisted or two small plums (not organic this time), a bite of a fig (which I am not even sure he swallowed because he did not like it), and a small homemade chocolate chip cookie. He has had plums before without any reaction I can identify. The fig was new. The cookies I have made before. The only difference with this cookie was that I used a different combo of GF flour - specifically Goya enriched rice flour (I had been using a different, more grainy rice flour that no one in my house liked, potato starch and tapioca flour.) In my more recent recipies, I had been using potato starch alone and omitting rice flour and tapioca flour all together.

Can anyone give any advice on what he may have reacted to? His tics remain worse today.

Thanks for your help.

Debbie

wow...it does sound like an allergic reaction to figs maybe? or that some ingredient in your new flour mix triggered him. Fig allergies are not uncommon.

hope it settles quickly for him. have you done a detoxing soak in epsom salts tub? that may help some

Debbie,

No time to respond properly, but all are VERY high in oxalate. You can Google it, or look at Great Plains Labs' site. They have some info on it as they test for it. Basically, nuts and berries are big offenders (along with chocholate, wine, raisins and plums. (I think figs are in the plum family?) Maybe it is a much more specific allergy ... maybe just that family of fruits (plums, figs, raisins, grapes?)

The tummy ache is the first sign for my son he ate something with peanut, he blows up a short time later. Really sounds like an allergy. Is your son allergic to almonds? I think plums are in that same family, not for sure though. Something about the pits looking like almonds.

Good luck,

CP

Thank you everyone for your replies. He is not allergic to almonds and I will definately explore the oxalate issue. In the meantime, no more plums or figs for him! He seems to be doing better this morning, although the true test will be when I see him later in the day.