ACN Latitudes Forums

5htp

Guest Jennifer

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

efgh,

About the only oil that is safe at high temperatures is coconut oil- all the other oils break down and disrupt the fatty acid chain in the body when they are heated to certain temperatures. So in essence we should not be cooking with those oils. And we go back to how it is very important how they are processed, if any heat is used or chemicals (which is usually the case) you've got rancid oil. I think I allready mentioned the book "Fsts that Heal and Fats that Kill" by Udo Erasmus..among other things he has a list of oils and at what tmeperature they start breaking down- it's worth reading.

Jennifer

Chemar, I got the 5HTP small capsules and the St. John's wort (liquid). Can you suggest strengths for when my son is ready? He may be close, bribery in the works! With your qualified that I should see a doctor (I am working on this one very hard!!)

He is 75 pounds and 10 years old.

St. John's in the am, and 5HTP in the pm? Did the 5HTP make your son sleepy during the day? Any side effects from either. Remember, he doesn't have tics now, but sometimes he REALLY can't sleep and he has been having some fears lately--they didn't completely go away after his last bout with tonsilitis. :(

ClairE

Chemar/Jennifer

Jennifer, I believe that you deal with some OCD tendencies in your child also, so if you have info on helpful supplements too, that would be great. Were the fatty acids most helpful for tics or did they help with the OCD type symptoms also. Thanks for the input on the bodybio oil with protein--I never read about that.

Anybody have a child with irrational fears that were helped by certain supplements?

Chemar, guess what? The 5HTP capsule was tiny and he wouldn't take it, so we dissolved the contents in a little bit of water. The taste really was okay! The St. John's worts drops (for the morning) taste like strong tea or alcohol to me--we will see how that goes. I am still worried about 50 mg at his weight though, since I don't know the proportions by weight.

Claire

Guest Guest_efgh

Claire

Does your son have trouble starting to sleep or does he even have problems once he has gone to sleep?

Jennifer/Chemar and ALL,

My son has lost some 6 pounds this year. He eats good natural food , is active , has a reasonably good appetite, and is healthy but is not gaining weight. He is becoming very tall though. He has been growing a lot heightwise but losing weight. could it be due to tics? Or could it be due to flax oil? He is 9.5 years old and is 63 pounds (he was 69 pounds last year this time). any tips? could it be due to the fact that i dont give him sugar, chocolates, very less dairy, etc...Or is it a part of detoxification??? worrying about this I have lost some 15 pounds (that is a good sign though!!!)

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

Have you mentioned the weight loss to the doctor? Our son has not experienced any weight loss, he has actually gained. His appetite is much better than it used to be. Does your son have a healthy appetite? If he eats real good and is losing weight I would mention it to his doctor.

Sam-e is an amino acid which raises serotonin levels. It also aids in liver detoxification and reduces joint inflamation. In pill form it must be taken on an empty stomach and cannot be crushed- it is not a very stable amino acid and needs to be absorbed through the small intestine before stomach acids get to it. I found a spray form that is absorbed in the moutb by Maxam neutraceuticals there website is www.maxamlabs.com. It seems kind of expensive, but it goes a long way.

I don't think Body Bio has an ionic form of calcium. I just rely on milk for his calcium intake.

Jennifer

Guest Jennifer

Claire,

I haven't notice an improvement of OCD tendencies with the oil. The OCD tendency is something that started surfacing when he was about 2. I would imagine that if that area of the brain is to heal it will probably be the last. He didn't really develop full blown tics until he was about 6 1/2 allthough some minor ones started when he was about 3 1/2. I tried eliminating all of his supplements,but minerals and the oil and the OCD came back. The best thing I've found for him seems to be a combination of inositol and b-3.

The irrational fears are probably anxiety related. Serotonin plays a big part in all of that. Gaba is supposed to be good for anxiety and 5-htp is supposed to be calming as well, for most people.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, thanks.

I noticed you said you hadn't done the 5htp yet. Do you mind noting why? (I didn't get why it being higher up the protein chain or whatever was a factor--maybe I misunderstood.) I couldn't find any bad side effects listed, but I only did it once and stopped--made me too nervous without a doctor--Chemar did it under a doctor's watch.

Claire

Guest Jennifer

Claire,

I did try 5-htp with our son, but it wired him.. Interestingly some info. that I came across mentioned that it can have that effect on some people. 5 -htp is higher up on the amino acid chain of precursers to serotonin. We have gone back to useing sam-e which is also an amino acid precurser to serotonin.

Jennifer