ACN Latitudes Forums

5htp

Guest Jennifer

What is Ginko Biloba? Is it Ginger?

Just read some posts in brain talk.. (from luke's mom, etc) Oh, some are so scary! Since the symptoms start off so very similar (same motor and vocal and squeakings and shoutings) , one does not know what its path is going to be. TS is so complex and unpredictable!

Thanks to vitamins and supplements, we have some good options.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

No Ginko and ginger are not from the same plant.

Ginko Biloba is a tree and the herb made from it's seeds is known to be helpful with memory and concentration

Here is a bit of background on it

http://community.healthgate.com/GetContent...d=/tnp/pg000624

The good news with TS is that so many cases get better not worse with age, and that good diet, supplements and environmental optimization can often keep the disorder from being too disruptive.

yes, there will always be the waxing and waning, and some tics are more noticeable than others, but overall, with knowledge and understanding...there is a lot more hope available now than in the past! :)

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar, one basic doubt. Is it necessary that one gives supplements for TS on long term or can they be abruptly stopped once symptoms improve. for example, in your son's case, do you make it a point to give them EVERY DAY or do you give some gap during waning at times. Moreover since he is in his teens and in most cases, TS is likely to remit on its own, did you ever want to try to stop the supplements for a while.

One more thing, any idea why tics tend to increase from the evenings to bed time??

did your son's OCD symptoms involve fears too? How did you discuss about tics to him at first.. I am yet to discuss on that to my son and want to have an open discussion with him .. He is just 9.5 and am thinking how to broach the topic since he keeps changing the subject when ever I start it..

thanks in advance for your advice.

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

Here's the information I promised you: website for the magnets which I guess are actually called diodes is drjack@forthe.net and the number for floradix is 1-800-498-3610. I read your post to Chemar and it seems like the increase in tics in the evening is probably due to tiredness and fatigue, their nervous systems are so senstive. Our son started with severe tics when he was about 6 1/2 our doctor advised us to ignore them unless he came to us with the problem. Bringing attention to them causes more stress. When he brought them up he referred to them as habits, we simply told him that everyone has some habits, some more and some less and not to worry. We explained the nutritional things we were doing and how they would help improve his overall health. We didn't want to label him because we feared that the symptoms may become psycological as well. He has improved drammatically and has been tic fee for about 3 months now. We still have a few mood and OCD issues from time to time. I asked my doctor the same question if he would have to be on his supplements for th rest of his life and he feels that due to his young age when we intervened his chances of healing and this being a non issue when he is older are pretty good. Not only are supplements impportant, but also a detoxification program are essential. Things like heavy metals and pollutants etc. disturb the body's energy flow which in turn can result in disorders.

The best of luck to you,

Jennifer

Guest Guest_efgh

Jennifer, thanks for your useful/wise reply. will call floradix. what are the supplements that your son is on now? Are you going to an alternative physician for advice?? How did you go about the detoxification program? Would require more info on that and the tests involved.

thanks again for your time/reply.

Guest Guest_efgh

Jennifer, correct me if I have understood it wrong. You said body bio magnesium and floradix too for that matter come in an ionic form which means its not compounded with taurate or glycinate, etc.. Its plain magnesium... Have I got it right? If so, do you give taurine separately for your son as an additional supplement since "taurate" seems to more important for tics and calmness as such. I like the floradix becos its in a liquid form and is fully natural. Planning to order it today upon getting your tips. Floradix also has a Calcium drink and since I do not give milk to my son (assuming that tics are more due to milk!) I want to compensate with floradix Calcium drink. Do you think floradix (calcium and magnesium) is a good brand and it helps and has no artificial flavours? What is the dosage that I should be starting with? Since it does not have the taurine in it, I was not so sure to straight away start with it..

Guest Guest_efgh

Jennifer,

In one of the posts I read about a special oil which caused a miraculous improvement of your son's tics. I used to give flax oil 1 tspn twice a day to my son . It helped for the first two months with regard to his motor tics. But once he started having his vocal tics, I dont think its helping. also, I noticed that he is losing some weight ever since I started him on flax oil. May be its common or because , he is not on dairy, artificial stuff or sugary/fatty stuff. I am wondering if I continue with this flax oil or if I should switch over to the body bio oil that you are mentioning. What is this oil and how is it different from the normal flax oil? Do you just give the body bio oil plain to your son? How much and when do you give that? Sorry for so many questions.

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

The minerals from floradix are not ionic and I can't remember what form they are- the minerals from body bio are ionic which is liquid form- the magnesium is magnesium chloride. Body Bio offers a mineral taste test kit. Certain minerals have been scientifically proven to have a bad flavor if not needed by the body or no flavor if needed. Even before our son started having tics he was very intense and moody so he's been on a cal/mag and zinc liquid supplement that I bought at our health food store for a long time, yet when we did the taste test everything tasted like water to him- when I did it all the minerals had a bad flavor. Whithin a month of supplementation all the minerals had a distinct taste . I still test him every couple of weeks as the balance can change. And so far I haven't needed to give them to him.

The flax oil we get is from Body Bio- it also has sunflower oil in it. Flax oil is pretty tricky it needs to be cold pressed, procesed in an oxygen free environment and kept in a dark bottle or the properties are ruined and can actually be damaging to the body. Body Bio's oil has a higher ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 it is 4:1- which is concurrent with other info I've read about fatty acids. The oil from Body Bio has no preservatives in it- infact it will only last for 6 weeks and must be refrigerated. If you don't think you can consume it all in 6 weeks you can freeze half of it. They also offer a complete blood chemistry panel and a fatty acid test -67 different fatty acids. The fatty acid test is done through John Hopkin's. A complete report is provided with supplement and dietary intstructions. We are getting ready to do the test- I've been wanting to do it since about August, but had to wait for our doctor to get the chance to look into it, but hopefully we'll get it done before Christmas. If this is something that interests you , you can call the company and get a list of doctors in your area that have used them. As far as the oil goes, it needs to be consumed with protein- he generally has eggs and bacon for brekfast so iIgive a tblsp. after breakfast and then at dinner as well. We first started with 1/2 tbsp. and have been gradually increasing. I keep a waterbottle on hand so he can wash it right down.

As far as the detox info. goes I'll get back to yo later on that I'll have to get my info. together so I'm sure I haven't omitted anything. We are working with a doctor, however, a lot of the info. I have brought to him. We have been fortunate enough to have an open-minded doctor who doesn't mind patient involvement!!!

I have found a lot of very valuable info. on www.mercola.com- he is an awesome natural doctor with info. on just about every topic. You can sign up for his free newsletters. If you look at the dr. forums on this sight - go to Dr. Jaqueline McCandless and you'll see one of the last posts from a parent was on renegade fatty acids... there is a little info on Body Bio and fatty acids.

I'll try to get the other info. to you today.

Jennifer

You are a wealth of such good information Jennifer! Thanks :)

There is so much to learn and to blend into our children's individual make-up and needs.....it is just so great to all be able to share and grow as we seek to help those we love to live well with TS+

I SO agree with the excellent website of Dr Mercola

http://www.mercola.com

Also, a great resource for anyone wanting to look up general supplement and lots of natural info is at iHERB

iHerb http://www.iherb.com/

especially their HEALTH ENCYCLOPEDIA

http://www.iherb.com/health.html

Guest Guest_efgh

Jennifer.

Hats off to you. What a valuable piece of info. I am learning SO much in the process. thanks a ton. Regarding Magnesium, since you are giving Magnesium Chloride, are you giving Taurine separately? If so, how much dosage.

I came across a product from Udo's Choice (www.florahealth.com) in our health stores. its a perfect oil milxture they say. its omega 3 : omega 6: omega 9 in the ratio 2:1:1

It contains flax oil, sun flower oil, sesame oil , trigylceride, soya lecithin etc. Can you advice me on the above ratio of the different omegas? I heard its a good mix.

checked with floradix company. thanks for the phone number which you gave. the magnesium floradix drink they have is magnesium citrate and calcium floradix drink is calcium gluconate. Dont know if its ideal for tics since Bonnie was specific about magnesium taurate. That is why, I was asking you if you give taurine separately along with Magnesium chloride that you mentioned.

Just checked www.mercola.com. awesome site.

thanks and would continue to wait for your more valuable inputs.

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

I haven't ever tried giving our son any Taurine- so I'm not much help there. As far as the oil goes Body Bio's is 4:1 of omega 6 to 3 it also has a small amount of 9's. Flax oil like I said needs to be cold pressed- some of them are chemically expressed or expeller pressed (this last ones generates enough heat to destroy the properties). The one from Body bio is also totally organic and has no preservatives. Another test that may be good is an amino acid blood test that way you know exactly which ones they are low in. We plan to do this one as well.

A lot of the latest fatty acid research has stemmed from ASD- the disorder that afflicticted the boy in the movie "Lorenzo's Oil" if you haven't allready seen it I would incourage you to, it's an awesome movie of faith and inspiration.

If you get onto Dr.Mercola's website and type in Dr. Patricia Kane in his search engine you'll be able to get more info. on the oil (she is one of the Dr.s at Body bio).

Chemar,

Thanks to you too for all of your awesome info. It's great to have parents out there who take the time to share their info. and experiences. You'r so good at responding to all of the posts. Great job!!

Jennifer

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar and Jennifer

Thanks for your replies.

Jennifer,

Can you please tell me the supplement details/dosages that you give your son on a daily basis? tks a lot for your kind/valuable information.

Chemar,

I have looked into that site lifesatwitch a few weeks back. really a good one with a good Q and A section too. As Jennifer rightly mentioned, you are tooo good in responding to queries. That is a big trait!

Guest Guest_efgh

Jennifer,

You can please check the link http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/inte...lect/r79802.asp

and advise me. the ratio it claims as ideal is 2:1 of omega 3 :6. wheareas the oil that you are mentioning has 4 times more of omega 6.

Udo's Choice® Ultimate Oil Blend® - Liquid / Capsules

An ideal 2:1 ratio of omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids, proven by research to benefit cardiovascular health, enhance stamina and energy, and improve general health and well-being. Certified Organic.

Grassroots Solution:

Developed for people who want one product that gives them all of the good fats they need, without any of the bad fats they should avoid.

Ingested in adequate amounts and in the optimal ratio, such as is found in Ultimate Oil Blend, EFAs have been shown to improve energy, stamina, performance sleeping patterns, concentration, mood and skin appearance

Guest Guest_efgh

Jennifer

I visited the web site bodybio.com - but I don't see any listing of their products though there is a hyper link "products and services". It takes us to only their fatty acid reports. where can I actually see their products listing?

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

I got on their website and couldn't find anything either. I got most of my info. from Dr.Mercola's website- type in Dr. Patricia Kane in his search engine and you'll get a very detailed article on the reasoning behind the higher omega 6's. Also you can call them at 1-888-320-8338 for a very complete info. packet as well as pamphlets on their products. You can also talk to them over the phone and ask them questions. And then you can e-mail them questions at custservice@bodybio.com.

To make a long story short they have found that most patients with neurological issues have depressed omega 6's, by supplementing with high amounts of omega 3's you can actually do more damage. In this book I was reading it was saying that the body converts omega 6's 1/4 slower than omega 3's.. so it stands to reason that if they are allready depressed the 6's need to be higher to restore the balance.

Hope this was of help,

Jennifer