ACN Latitudes Forums

5htp

Guest Jennifer

Guest Jennifer

Just curious to know what the best brand of 5htp is or at least some of the brands that you parents have had succes with. I was using a particular brand, but I'm not sure about somw of the other ingredients in it.

Thanks,

Jennifer

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest_efgh

Jennifer, in one of the posts I had seen you mentioning about floradix as a calcium/magnesium supplement for TS. Heard its helpful and natural. Can you let me know if you use the calcium drink and magnesium drink separately or have it in one bottle. also what compound of calcium/magnesium is being used. i cant make out from the reading label.. is it magnesium oxide or taurate or what?

thanks for your patient reply

Chemar,

Well I talked to my son about 5HTP again and bottom line, I have decided not to push it (again like your son and video games). I can restrict computer but I can't 'force' him to swallow--or should I say I won't. So I am dropping this for now, and won't try again until/unless the next time.

Fortunately, now that the movie exposure and recent strep are past, he has no symptoms again--no more experiments--I want another 6 months to a year of peace (I can't completely avoid strep).

Claire

Hi Claire

I loved what someone posted about:

Something is either proven or not yet proven, but, just because it is not yet proven , does NOT make it false!

and someone else wisely posted:

"information keeps coming in, so keep an open mind"

Good advice IMO

If your son is calmer, i think you are very wise not to stress him into taking pills when he doesnt want to.

But, at least you know about it now in case it is needed.

The Natrol ones are great because they are really small capsules.

God Bless and goodnight :wub:

Guest Guest_efgh

any link between tomato ketch up and tics... generally the tomato ketch up available in mcdonalds, etc , does it have artificial stuff. please advise.

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about your mineral question. I'm not using the Fooradix brand anymore so I need to call the store that carries it to get the info. you were asking about. We have switched to an ionic form of minerals from Body Bio. They seem to work much faster and the absorption rate seems to be better. As far as ketchup goes I don't know the exact ingredients, but sometimes even though there is nothing else added, just the pesticides etc. used aren't good. Be very carefull of the label "flavors" that can mean anyting such as MSG, Nutrasweet. Msg is under many names I've got a good website that lists all the ingredients it can be in, I'll send it to you in my next post (I have to look for it).

Jennifer

Chemar,

Thanks for the comment on Natrol capsules being small. I will check them out. How long did it take for your own son to feel better from them? I am sure it varies. Knowing that the strep medicine would clear his fears in 2-3 days during his recent strep-induced fears helped him deal with it.

Claire

ps, as I mentioned I edited my last post. I agree with all that you said, and I love both of those quotes!

Guest Guest_efgh

Thanks Jennifer for your reply. What form of magnesium do those Body bio products have (is it magnesium taurate or what). When I checked floradix, its just mentioned "magnesium" and no mention on the compound.

Morning all :wub:

Claire, the 5HTP effect was pretty instantaneous for my son.

He was in SEVERE mode when he started it and the difference within a few days was dramatic.

He had been on the minimal dose(only one third of the suggested daily dose (300mg=.9mg standardised hypericin) of SJW each morning for about 2 weeks before the physician okd adding the 50 mg 5HTP at night.

efgh

we only used the magnets provided by my son's therapist, so i cant help you much on where to find them. Perhaps Jennifer has some resources there.

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

The minerals from body bio are an ionic form, they have not been chelated with any amino acids which is what magnesiun taurate is... magnesium and the amino acid taurine. Ionic minerals are in liquid form and are much more bioavailable to your cells. You can call them toll free at 1-888-320-8338 for a free information packet which is excellent. Also, the minerals are administered in drops so they are easy and they last a long time. The recommended amount for magnesium is 10 drops. One 4 oz. mineral is about 10$, but it lasts a long time!

As far as the magnetsgo I have some friends that own a health food store and know where to get them they are also the ones who carry Floradix so I'll send you the info as soon as their store opens and I can talk to them.

Jennifer :)

Guest jennifer

Chemar,

Is the 5-htp from natrol straight 5-htp or are there other ingredients? I was reading some info about 5-htp and how when you take it there is a certain chemical reaction that takes place which spikes the serotonin in the blood, but it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. It went on to say how in Europe they take something else with it to prevent the reaction and get it to cross the blood brain barrier. Have you read anything like that?

Thanks,

jennifer

Guest Jennifer

Chemar,

I was just reading your post on Brain Talk regarding vaccines. We know that a lot of our son's problems started with his vaccines. There is an article you may find interesting on Yahoo News: "Study finds no link between vaccines, Autism" Monday, Nov. 3. in this article they admit that in one study group there was a higher incidence of tics.

I know he has allready had his shots and I don't want to worry you needlessly, but it is good to have the complete picture so if there is an aggravation in symptoms later on you might have some other possible leads to go on.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

Yup! Vaccines are scary and I do believe the ones my son had to have (both for middle school and for his mission trip to Nicaragua) probably have contributed to a slight upswing in vocal tics since June. But, thankfully it has been mild enough not to be a problem...and the benefit of his being allowed to go on that life-changing trip have far outweighed the slight tic increase.

As to the Natrol 5HTP, it has rice powder, silica, gelatin and the magnesium stearate.

I wish it had none of the above, but it was a lot better than many of the other brands we looked at, and is at least free of the really yuck stuff.