ACN Latitudes Forums

Resources for Long-Term Suffers of OCD

I have suffered with OCD from childhood--in fact over 40 years. In my youth, society was not aware of mental illnesses, (no internet); it was not until my 40s that I found out that there was even another single person with OCD in the whole world. Actually I was in my late thirties before it was known that OCD has a biological cause. Before this time therapists went down useless roads using parental upbringing, hidden sexual abuse, and other meaningless (Freudian) concepts. Needless to say, no one was ever cured or even helped during this period.

Now I that I am aware of this disease, I want to get some fulfillment out of my life. Unlike the younger suffers who got the rest of their life to realize their goals, even if there were a magic pill that would cure OCD I still have to live with the effects of all these years. It is like an alcoholic who has lost jobs, ruined their credit and developed cirrhoses of the liver. Even when they are cured and never take another drink they have to live with no references for employment, bad credit and health problems.

I was wondering if there are agencies US, state (I am in NC) and private organizations to help one with educational and employment issues. Most of the mental health agencies deal with the better known disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar.

I wish they would change the name of OCD to something else. I cringe after when I inform someone I have OCD they thing, or say: "Oh that's nothing, just being a perfectionist is no big problem, just a character foible. If you met my roommate and saw how she wants our apartment to be tidy--now there's OCD." I keep telling people the colloquial use of OCD has at best only a superficially resemblance to the medical (DSM-V) use of the term.

So if anyone knows of any resources please contact me.