ACN Latitudes Forums

Avoiding additives and other food triggers

Claire

I know that some like Jeff have successfully tried the Feingold diet for their kids, but the information is buried somewhere, and I am hoping that this will make it easier to spot.

I am really committed to eliminating additives and preservatives, and have signed up to get Feingold materials, but here is my dilemma.

So some questions:

I have read enough about Aspartame to stay away, but what about other artificial or natural sweeteners, e.g. Sucralose, Manitol, Sorbitol, Saccharin and Stevia? Does anyone here have anecdotal experience, or know of studies on these? We have diabetes in our family, and I have never thought my son did well with a lot of sugar anyway. So we do smoothies, but he won't eat them without a sweetener.

GUM

In particular I am looking for a safe, no color added, no sugar added GUM--e.g. recently when has still been trying to distract himself from biting his lip' tic from that bad idea I had to try out a movie with dark sunglasses! With his braces, so chewing on sugary gum (even without artificial colors) is just a bad idea.

Any ideas on brands or sources--particularly over the internet vs your own local store which I may not have here. Whole foods has no such gum. Trident has sorbitol but also has artificial flavors! My internet search came up dry, but then I don't even know what sweeteners are okay--given his lip biting, I can't wait for to see if Feingold has something listed.

Thanks--Claire

Chemar and Claire,

Can you please let me know and explain about Candidla.. (to do with yeast?). what is that test basically?

Also, want to know if yeast products can increase tics.(like bread, etc). Is it better to avoid yeast for tics?

One more thing, did you all try out allergy test for tics? which is more authentic - blood allergy testing or the skin prick test? I had done a skin prick test for my son a couple of years ago. would the allergies remain the same or is a re-test necessary ???

If I need to post a question to Dr Robbins, what is the procedure? I tried to do that and it said "sorry" ...

thanks

one more question. I guess its better to give fish oil along with the flax oil that I am giving my son. Which is better , fish oil or fish (omega ) capsules? Heard fish oil is not so pure and authentic all the time and hence capsules may be better? any views/suggestions on this please. since I am already giving flax oil, from convenience point of view , fish oil may be better since I need to just mix it with this oil and give...

Claire

ALL artificial sweeteners are IMO bad. Sucralose(Splenda) is in fact CHLORINATED sugar(and we have had many discussions on chlorine as a tic trigger!)

Stevia is not artificial, and so ok, but it is very strong and my family does not like the taste.

We use pure Turbinado sugar, maple syrup and honey for sweetening.

Cant help with the gum, but a health store may know.

efgh

Candida albicans, the yeast parasite, is different from Brewers Yeast used in bread etc(which is actually very healthy)

Yeast (candida a) overgrowth usually occurs after frequent or longterm antibiotic use, or excessive use of sugar and/or alcohol.

You can have a blood test done to see if it is a problem, and then follow dietary guidelines with either prescription meds or alternative Caprylic Acid to get rid of it.

Candida, like all parasites and infections, can be a tic trigger.

It is not related to bread and what you are calling yeast foods......rather it is a fungus that lives internally, often in the digestive system,

and feeds off sugars.

The bigger problem that some find with breads is the GLUTEN content, which some people find to be a tic trigger.

We had skin testing and radiogenic work done to identify allergens.

Dr Robbins thread is a closed one (for reading only) but you can direct questions for him via Sheila I think

Chemar,

on and off, i give my son a drink called probiotic bifidus which

contains

skimmed milk, cream, invert sugar syrup, oligofructose, fruit juice

concentrate, fruit sugar, grape sugar, vitamin and aroma.. its considered

quite natural and healthy.. do you see any artificial sweeteners or flavours in this?

Would wait for your input reg. fish oil/capsule .

Chemar

as regards this stmt "Candida albicans, the yeast parasite, is different from Brewers Yeast used in bread etc(which is actually very healthy)"

Can you please let me know if the yeast in bread is healthy or have i understood it wrong??

I am stunned by the amount of knowledge that you have gathered with regard to nutrition, triggers etc. your son is too lucky to have you..

Yes, the yeast in bread is BREWERS YEAST which is healthy and very rich in B vitamins. Many people (including my family) take Brewers yeast supplement tablets for overall health.

As to the probiotic drink you mention...I am not sure what "aroma" is, nor "oligofructose" nor "invert sugar syrup"... so I cant make any comment on those, but the rest looks good.