ACN Latitudes Forums

Tic free after trips?

We have traveled twice this summer and both times my son slowly improved to the point that by the time we got home his tics were gone. We just returned from our second trip and my sons face is completely calm - before he had constant blinking that later switched to different sorts of facial grimacing that were always there. His head nodding also stopped. I am dreading its all going to come back now that we are home.

I was able to stay on his diet while we were gone- the only thing I did different on both trips was he had organic wheat bread every day( I usually limit this) because we were visiting relatives and we were eating hamburgers, sandwiches etc. Am I crazy or could the wheat actually be helping him in some way?

The other thought I always have lingering in my mind is could we have a mold problem in my house. We bought our house new 10 years ago and over the years we have had a problem with our upstairs bathroom toilet overflowing and then the water leaks through the ceiling and down to the kitchen entrance/hallway. We've never had it fixed and it happens a couple of times a year. I know its expensive to test and treat for mold so have put it off. I have not seen any visible mold in our house. Does anyone know if the test kits you get at Lowes are reliable to tell if we have a problem?

Any other ideas? Thanks everyone, Mary

We have traveled twice this summer and both times my son slowly improved to the point that by the time we got home his tics were gone. We just returned from our second trip and my sons face is completely calm - before he had constant blinking that later switched to different sorts of facial grimacing that were always there. His head nodding also stopped. I am dreading its all going to come back now that we are home.

I was able to stay on his diet while we were gone- the only thing I did different on both trips was he had organic wheat bread every day( I usually limit this) because we were visiting relatives and we were eating hamburgers, sandwiches etc. Am I crazy or could the wheat actually be helping him in some way?

The other thought I always have lingering in my mind is could we have a mold problem in my house. We bought our house new 10 years ago and over the years we have had a problem with our upstairs bathroom toilet overflowing and then the water leaks through the ceiling and down to the kitchen entrance/hallway. We've never had it fixed and it happens a couple of times a year. I know its expensive to test and treat for mold so have put it off. I have not seen any visible mold in our house. Does anyone know if the test kits you get at Lowes are reliable to tell if we have a problem?

Another thought is whether he had greatly reduced video game/computer playing and/or TV watching while gone, or whether they had LCD screens instead of the CRT screens.

Claire

You can do a search on the web for a home test kit for mold(not sure what kind of success you'll have but it's worth a shot!). I've been wondering the same thing about my house. Although, my ds tics while we're on vacation I do think I should test for mold b/c I have developed some chemical sensitivities in the past few years since moving to this house. Let us know if you find anything!

Bonnie

Mary,

We are experiencing a nice waning as well, <_< and I have mentioned that I always felt early summer was a better time for us here, so maybe it is just the time of year, but I cannot rule out the power of prayer either!

What you say about the wheat is not crazy, for I too have seen things to be okay even when I give bread (wheat), in other words, keeping wheat and gluten out has not necessarily been better times for us either.

Faith

environmental toxins and allergens can be major tic triggers and where I can see why a photosensitive child may also tic less when removed from the "screens" flicker, i really would do the mold test if you suspect it, and also consider whether formaldehyde (in wood and new carpet) any recently painted rooms?, buildup of toxic stuff in air vents, pesticide residues etc could be triggers

as my son has always done fine on wheat I cant address that, but if he isnt gluten intolerant wheat should be good for him I think

Thanks for your replies!

Although he probably did watch less TV both homes have LCD screens so that should be ok right? I always try to limit video games - he doesn't get to play too often.

My husband reminded me that we also have a leak from our air conditioner as well as the toilet so he reluctantly is looking into having this mold issue checked out. I will let everyone know how this goes.

Some ticcing creeping back in today - praying it stays mild. Thanks everyone.

Typically when we travel long distances for a week trip my son seems worse in his behaviors. He is not good when out of his normal routines and away from his belongings. In fact last year he got so bad on the car trip home that he had to stop constantly to urinate and he was so hyper. It has made traveling very hard over the years. He would get so emotional and not listen and be hyper! So last year I gave him Dramimine for in the car. DON"T ever give this if your kid has a tendency to get tics. I didn't think of the relation but it made his tics get so much worse. He slept in the car but was horrible for several weeks afterwards with tics and emotional stuff. I think it really messed him up. I am glad you had a good trip. I hope it is not mold in your house.

I know I have contacted people about doing air quality samples in my home. It typically ran about $500. They said they would do about three to determine if there was mold. You can contact a local realtor as they should know who to call to get air samples. I remember speaking with someone who does this and he said to put 2 different air filters on the air conditioning vents (can't find in my notes which ones) and it would cut down by 90% anything that was in the air. Would it be possible to stay in a motel for a few days and maybe this would determine if it was your house or area? Or stay with a friend or relative in town? Just some ideas. I am not sure how accurate the testing from Lowe's would be.

michele,

thanks for the info re dramimine- I have always had to give that to my older daughter who gets carsick easily on trips. I wonder what it was in the dramimine that caused your son to react like that! I am really trying to avoid giving my son any kinds of medications now because he seems so sensitive to any kind of supplement/medicine. He has a croupy cough now at night and I don't know what to give him. I gave him a childrens homeopathic cough syrup last night and he woke up twice with night terrors - I don't know if the medicine caused it but I'm not going to try it again tonight!

bmom,

We had an insurance adjuster come out today and he looked at the damage from the toilet leak and he said he honestly doesn't think we have mold. We have a 2000.00 deductible we would have to pay before insurance would cover any damage done and they also only pay up to 2500.00 for mold removal. He also said you have to be careful which company you use because some are just a scam. I don't know where we'll go from here. Are you talking about the hepa filters you put on the vents? We just changed ours today and I think we have not been changing them enough so maybe that will help.

Also my husband is still wondering about the mosquito truck that comes by at night and sprays the neighborhood. How safe is that?

Mary,

I was worried about mold in a couple of closets and I found a product on the internet. I bought it at Home Depot to avoid shipping. It is supposed to be environmentally friendly and very effective. Their endorsements are impressive, and apparently, their salespeople actually lick it to prove how safe and non-toxic it is. It is called Concrobium. Go to their website and look at it. I bought the larger size ($40) and have a ton left; the small one was about $25. You may be able to get some peace of mind for $25 and an hour of your time. I still don't feel like it was a waste of time or money.

Tami

Typically when we travel long distances for a week trip my son seems worse in his behaviors. He is not good when out of his normal routines and away from his belongings. In fact last year he got so bad on the car trip home that he had to stop constantly to urinate and he was so hyper. It has made traveling very hard over the years. He would get so emotional and not listen and be hyper! So last year I gave him Dramimine for in the car. DON"T ever give this if your kid has a tendency to get tics. I didn't think of the relation but it made his tics get so much worse. He slept in the car but was horrible for several weeks afterwards with tics and emotional stuff. I think it really messed him up. I am glad you had a good trip. I hope it is not mold in your house.

Its probably because dramamine blocks acetylcholine, which is the nerve to muscle neurotransmitter, and must be balanced with dopamine and serotonin in the basal ganglia.

Hello

Can't comment on your original questions but re the cough... I have read recent research that did a blind and placebo controlled study on DM (dextromorphin sp?) cough syrup and buckwheat honey and the buckwheat honey won. Parents and children reported much less coughing and night wakings using the honey than those using the DM cough syrup.

I can't rememer precise dosage but something along the lines of 2 tsp before bed. You could google it.. worth a try and not meds at least.

Dut