ACN Latitudes Forums

Epsom Salt Baths

Hello

Well first I must say for a few days I was so excited. My ds (10) was tic free and I was so happy. for the past 7 years he tics everyday...changing from on to another and recently getting more severe. We had him to the doctor and he said he had complex tic disorder...suggested fish oil or flax seed along with the the B6, Natural calm, and grape seed extract pill We give him each day. He also suggested the melatonin 3mg which really relaxed some tics but found he had no energy to play ball and being a pitcher he needs the speed so we stopped it for a bit. The other day I gave him a half a tablet and the next day my husband took him out for ball practice and again no energy. We will try this again when his season is over for baseball is a big part of him. But as i said the past few days it was none other then his usual tapping his hand on his leg, which is not as obvious as his head shaking, nodding, neck jerking and other hand expressions. I took him for a cranial sacral therapy treatment on monday which I had scheduled for weeks and hated to cancel, figured it would be helping him hitting his leg... Monday night we had a little head jerking...we were home tuesday and he played some gamecube and watched some tv...that night all started again. He was on the Fishoil/falxseed oil mixture vitamin for about a week...not sure if that could be the effect of them or not. When he first started them, the tics did slow down.

My real question to you all is I read of the Epson salt baths... how do you give these, about how much salt should you use, and do you fill the tub so their body is completely covered (silly I know) not sure if they should be covered all except head... How long do you usually have them sit in them. And how often do you do them, nightly or as needed.

Thanks for any help

Mary

Mary,

Just run a normal tub and add about 2 cups of the salt. The point is to absorb it transdermally, so it wouldn't really matter if he absorbs through his upper or lower body. Aim for a 20 minute soak. I noticed you give him Natural Calm. You might want to reduce or eliminate it on the nights he has the baths because it would, in effect, be doubling his magnesium intake.

If he is not a good "soaker" because he gets bored, I found a secret weapon -- pomegranate. Cut one in half and give it to him; its like a rubix cube. It will keep him busy and entertained for half an hour. (Also a very good source of b6.) Pomegranates can stain anything in a five-foot radius, so the bathtub is a great place to eat them.

Tami

Hi Mary

sometimes we will just do a footbath of epsom too. I put 1 cup in the footbath with as warm as comfy warm water and soak for 30 min. one can sit and read or whatever for that time while just letting the magnesium sulfate salts do its thing.

another thing is not to rinse off till morning. my son now takes his shower first to clean and then soaks in the epsom salts tub before bed . very very relaxing to tics and psyche, and helps him sleep. he also finds it soothing to those achy parts that having tics brings.

Hello

Well first I must say for a few days I was so excited. My ds (10) was tic free and I was so happy. for the past 7 years he tics everyday...changing from on to another and recently getting more severe. We had him to the doctor and he said he had complex tic disorder...suggested fish oil or flax seed along with the the B6, Natural calm, and grape seed extract pill We give him each day. He also suggested the melatonin 3mg which really relaxed some tics but found he had no energy to play ball and being a pitcher he needs the speed so we stopped it for a bit. The other day I gave him a half a tablet and the next day my husband took him out for ball practice and again no energy. We will try this again when his season is over for baseball is a big part of him. But as i said the past few days it was none other then his usual tapping his hand on his leg, which is not as obvious as his head shaking, nodding, neck jerking and other hand expressions. I took him for a cranial sacral therapy treatment on monday which I had scheduled for weeks and hated to cancel, figured it would be helping him hitting his leg... Monday night we had a little head jerking...we were home tuesday and he played some gamecube and watched some tv...that night all started again. He was on the Fishoil/falxseed oil mixture vitamin for about a week...not sure if that could be the effect of them or not. When he first started them, the tics did slow down.

My real question to you all is I read of the Epson salt baths... how do you give these, about how much salt should you use, and do you fill the tub so their body is completely covered (silly I know) not sure if they should be covered all except head... How long do you usually have them sit in them. And how often do you do them, nightly or as needed.

Thanks for any help

Mary

Just wanted to add that some people(my ds included) tic more when on fish oil supplements. Flaxseed oil doesn't seem to bother him that much!

Also, I know that some people make a cream out of the epsom salts and mix them(I'm sure a search on this site will provide you with more info). I have a hard time getting my ds to stay in the tub for 20 mins so I thought about making the cream. I do the baths about every other day or as needed. Almost always after he's been swimming that day b/c I think chlorine triggers tics for him.

Bonnie

making your own Epsom salts cream is easy

Mix 1/2 cup epsom salts into warm water in a small bowl, using as little water as possible, just enough to get it to dissolve, and then mix it into any cream of your choice. (mrs D recommended aquaphor or eucerin)

Great thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the foot soak...I know he will do that sitting down reading a book or watching a baseball game :lol: Also will try and make the cream... do you just rub some in certain places... i know he has the most on his arms not staying still...

Actually with the fish oil/flax seed oil combination pill stopped some of the head bopping and shaking that was happening. He is doing much better yesterday and today...just arms gong but head is still... Funny he hasn't played video games since Tuesday... thinking that might have helped triggered something...

We did have a mri done on him and everything came back fine.... which was great. Someone told me I should still go see a neurologist to be sure... not sure if i should or not. Doctor did suggest a very mild pill to give him...have the name at home, but he said they usually use it to treat high blood pressure it was a very low dosage of like .01 or .03 I think...

Mary

Hi

if that pill is clonidine then IMHO stay far away from it! My husband has TS and a doc put him on clonidine for very high and erratic blood pressure and to help tics that had intensified after an auto accident

I was very against it but he agreed to do a trial and it made him totally psychotic. he said he felt there was a "purple ooze " running down one side of his brain and he began obsessing over the tiniest things and building up anger and resentment for things from the past etc. It was very scary and it stopped as soon as we began the careful down titrating of dose to withdraw him from the drug.

I have heard others say clonidine has helped them, and I am open minded that for some medications are of benefit. But honestly, and especially for a child, I would personally try everything possible and unless the tics are downright dangerous or seriously interfering with quality of life, I would urge caution and careful consideration, with knowledge of side effects beyond just the "oh side effects are rare" approach that most docs will give :lol:

sorry this is one of my deep concerns as not only have I seen my TS husband have bad drug reactions, but my son went thru severe and disabling experiences with the tic and OCD meds that were tried on him and now is doing so well, med free, that I feel it I have to always urge people to investigate carefully before just trying these brain drugs on kids with developing brains. :)

re the Epsom salts creme....yes, we find rubbing it in the area being most tic impacted is very good.

Oral magnesium really is the fastest way to get the calming effect IMO, but the baths and creme are invaluable compliments :)

I will check and see what the name was...don't think that was it. Will be doing a lot of checking before considering it for my son :)

Okay another silly question...how much cream do you add to the 1/2 epson salt mix???

Mary

Hi

if that pill is clonidine then IMHO stay far away from it! My husband has TS and a doc put him on clonidine for very high and erratic blood pressure and to help tics that had intensified after an auto accident

I was very against it but he agreed to do a trial and it made him totally psychotic. he said he felt there was a "purple ooze " running down one side of his brain and he began obsessing over the tiniest things and building up anger and resentment for things from the past etc. It was very scary and it stopped as soon as we began the careful down titrating of dose to withdraw him from the drug.

I have heard others say clonidine has helped them, and I am open minded that for some medications are of benefit. But honestly, and especially for a child, I would personally try everything possible and unless the tics are downright dangerous or seriously interfering with quality of life, I would urge caution and careful consideration, with knowledge of side effects beyond just the "oh side effects are rare" approach that most docs will give :lol:

sorry this is one of my deep concerns as not only have I seen my TS husband have bad drug reactions, but my son went thru severe and disabling experiences with the tic and OCD meds that were tried on him and now is doing so well, med free, that I feel it I have to always urge people to investigate carefully before just trying these brain drugs on kids with developing brains. :)

re the Epsom salts creme....yes, we find rubbing it in the area being most tic impacted is very good.

Oral magnesium really is the fastest way to get the calming effect IMO, but the baths and creme are invaluable compliments :)

how much cream do you add to the 1/2 epson salt mix???

Mary

I use about a cup of creme for 1/2 cup epsom. I blend it into a tub of calendula creme, but really any pure cream is fine to use as long as you keep the water level down when dissolving the salt. The aquaphor cream can absorb liquid so is good for that but I dont know what all is has in it

The drug is catapres I will have to check this out....and ask if anyone else heard of it. The doctor said the biggest side effect is fatique. I too am leary about giving drugs to my son... I don't mind the vitamins...but don't like perscriptions too much

Mary

Great thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the foot soak...I know he will do that sitting down reading a book or watching a baseball game :lol: Also will try and make the cream... do you just rub some in certain places... i know he has the most on his arms not staying still...

Actually with the fish oil/flax seed oil combination pill stopped some of the head bopping and shaking that was happening. He is doing much better yesterday and today...just arms gong but head is still... Funny he hasn't played video games since Tuesday... thinking that might have helped triggered something...

We did have a mri done on him and everything came back fine.... which was great. Someone told me I should still go see a neurologist to be sure... not sure if i should or not. Doctor did suggest a very mild pill to give him...have the name at home, but he said they usually use it to treat high blood pressure it was a very low dosage of like .01 or .03 I think...

Mary

after posting i was doing some internet searches and found that out... He will definetely not be going on it. The doctor told me the only big side effect is fatique... i saw more that i would not want. My ds is on a b6 vitamin and I found a B complex stress formula at iherb.com that the doctor said is a good mixture of the vitamins. I think i read here that b vitamins are good for tics. Knocking on wood but these last few days have been great for him...just mild arm movements and some sniffing...but great...funny thing he hasn't played his video games doe 5 days... not sure if that is the culprit but I can say I am happy :lol:

Mary

Hi Mary

yes catapres IS clonidine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!