ACN Latitudes Forums

Braces are on!

CSP

Hi all,

I know some of you all are wondering about braces. Just thought I would tell you how it went.

Spacers went on last week, he was in pain but we did not see any waxing out of the norm for him. By Sat he was doing very well and was able to eat just about anything. Yesterday he was excited/nervous and we did hear a lot more vocals.

Apt. was this morning at 9:00, she said he did very well and she had no problems with his tics. As soon as he got in the car he kind-of let them all out, but not really as bad as I was expecting. So far he is not in any pain and has calmed down to his normal tic. He is opening his mouth wide, so I'm not sure if that is going to be a new tic or if he is just getting used to the feeling of the braces against his cheeks. He said he did not like the sour stuff she put in his mouth, I'm guessing that is the cement.

I'll keep you all posted on how he does for the next few days. He is going camping with his dad, and then to a National's game, so I have to see part could be excitement. (have not told him about the tickets to the game yet, he can't handle pro-ball games without a huge trigger.)

Oh! And one more thing because he still has baby teeth he does not have a full set of braces. We have to have 4 more teeth pulled, then she will move the teeth so that he then can have 4 more adult teeth pulled. By the time we are done with this child he will have had 15 teeth pulled. :huh:

Prayers are welcome,

CP

Hi, How old is your son? I have trouble keeping track of everyone's kids and their ages! :huh:

We have been told that ds(9) needs braces but I've been putting it off. He'll probably need some baby teeth pulled, as well.

Right now we're again in the throes of OCD/anxiety so I keep putting of the braces until he seems more emotionally stable(if that ever happens!).

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Bonnie

Bonnie,

He is 14 1/2 yo I would have waited until he was 18, but some of his adult teeth just won't come down until some teeth are moved. I was thinking maybe it was not helping the TS to have these teeth lodged up there.

Good luck with what you decide, I know how hard and scarry that is.

CP

Bonnie,

He is 14 1/2 yo I would have waited until he was 18, but some of his adult teeth just won't come down until some teeth are moved. I was thinking maybe it was not helping the TS to have these teeth lodged up there.

Good luck with what you decide, I know how hard and scarry that is.

CP

I need to get my 12 year old in to the dentist. He has some baby teeth still. I wonder how TS will affect the visit.

I'm glad things went well for your son. That's a lot of teeth!

Hi, hh, good to hear from you again.

My son was not affected at all by the teeth being removed.

He has done better the rest of today then I have seen in weeks. I came home from work tonight and it was the first thing my husband said.

I don't know for sure h.h. but I was starting to think he was going to have to have his adult teeth cut at the gum and pulled down.

The x-ray of his teeth is so bad, it had me praying about this 6 months ago.

It also seem to me that because his teeth are so packed in their it took a very long time for the adult teeth to find room and squeeze in that I thought that could be why we don't see much waning.

Have you had an x-ray of your son's teeth? That may help with how soon you decide to get started.

Good luck and keep us posted. I would love to hear how your son does with the teeth issues.

CP

Grayhound, did you feel the braces triggered any new or more tic?

I hope you are one of those lucky ones too, LIKE ME :) First time I told my son I did not have wisdom teeth, not even in any x-rays, he said to me, "OH! That's why you can't spell." :lol: Wisdom... must have been one of his vocabulary words that week. :lol:

Ok, does anyone know of a good pain killer I could give him?

CP

I had braces and I remember there was ferrocious pain the evening of or day after having the braces tightened, just accidentally touching my upper teeth to the lower ones would send a shooting pain. It was very short-lived, maybe 6 hours per month.

I never took anything for it, but I definitely remember going on a self-imposed "tonsillectomy diet" -- popsicles, ice cream, smoothies, crushed ice. Whether in conjunction with pain killers or not, I say keep it numb for a day.

Tami

Grayhound, did you feel the braces triggered any new or more tic?

I don't think they affected my tics at all.

I had braces and I remember there was ferrocious pain the evening of or day after having the braces tightened, just accidentally touching my upper teeth to the lower ones would send a shooting pain. It was very short-lived, maybe 6 hours per month.

Six hours? Mine lasted a few days after each tightening. OUCH. My teeth felt like they were going to fall out. I can partly imagine the pain now. Biting the softest things would hurt A LOT :lol:

But as I said, I personally feel it was worth it :lol:

Hi again,

Son is still doing very well. Husband said he was in some pain the day after but they had so much fun camping he either forgot about it, or the pain was not that bad and did not last long. Husband said he was wading in the river up to his chest and they caught about 60 fish. Fishing is new to my son so the whole thing just may have kept his mind off the braces. Plus my husband said him and his friend had fun putting frogs in the lady's restroom. I just love how my husband encourages the little gentlemen in my son. :lol:

He does seem to be wanting to brush his teeth a lot I don't know if that is going to be an OCD thing or just something new and will wear off soon.

So good news still.

CP