ACN Latitudes Forums

IEP Questions

glad you have found helpful stuff on TSA website Brink! ^_^

another very comprehensive site is Tourette Syndrome Plus

http://www.tourettesyndrome.net

ps lurker....thanks for your comment and I sure do hope no one thought I was in any way coming down on CP for my emphasis on the smart/IEP issue....CP is one of the kindest and most caring members we have and I absolutely read her comment "in context" and so was making mine on the issue and not against her

(((((((CSP))))))))) :huh:

I have to agree with lurker. I can see that what was meant about "being too smart for IEP" was referring to the objection of the "system" to readily give out this plan to students who seem to pull decent marks, not her own feelings. I have clearly seen that in our school, students who have issues are not being referred for services simply because they are not struggling with passing subjects. It is usually those who are struggling with learning that are referred for testing, but even tho there may be other issues, behavioral or otherwise, as long as they get the marks, the school does not seem to want to offer any help.

So brink, you will probably have to present a written diagnosis and possibly go thru the process of testing in order to see if he qualifies for an IEP. If not (meaning there are no learning disabilities) then the diagnosis should be enough for him to qualify for the 504, which will be accomodations that he may need in order to level the playing field due to any issues such as the ocd that may slow him down in school. That is how we did it. And before that (third grade) it was never suggested he be tested, for he seemed to be "holding his own academically" as they told me, and so 504 was not suggested until my son's teacher of this year was more proactive on his behalf and was instrumental on getting the ball rolling for him.

Faith

My heart dropped at the thought my post was discrimintory, as that was not how I ment it to sound.

But, lurker, you picked me up, because yes I was only stating how my son was denied the IEP.

Thank you, Tami

My heart dropped at the thought my post was discrimintory, as that was not how I ment it to sound.

But, lurker, you picked me up, because yes I was only stating how my son was denied the IEP.

Thank you, Tami

I'm sorry if I caused any bad feelings, it was not my intent to make anybody feel bad. I know you didn't mean it that way...you're not that kind of person. I just thought it needed a little clarification. Maybe I'm overly sensitive.

:huh: peglem

this sure is a board where all of us can understand deep feelings on many things.

We've all been affected deeply by the things that have happened with our kids, and we care deeply about the issues surrounding them ....

so its ok.

sometimes we dont know or remember each others full stories, and nuances of words can take on personal meanings. ^_^

we are all on this learning curve together and it really is such a blessing to have all of you to learn along with.It's wonderful that we can use the ups and downs of our own experiences to maybe shine a light for someone else to be helped on a path that will benefit them.

I sure appreciate all of you and this place soooooo very much ^_^

I am confused on this so please forgive me, We have an IDEA in the state of Ohio. He received an IEP for OT under the IDEA. How do I get him accomodations for the tourettes? Will it need to be written into his IEP? I guess he is up for reevaluation since we requested the full testing in the spring? How do you get the school to give you these accomodations if he doesn't qualify based on his IQ? What kind of accomodations do I need to ask for?

All forgiven peglem,

It is hard to sit in a huge conference room with 16 eyes all staring at you, throwing their PHD's at you.

God Bless,

CP

Michele

usually the 504 plan provides those accommodations but it can be built into the IEP too

try those links to the TSA educational advocacy section that I left for Brink as they have a lot of good stuff there

My son had accommodations for everything from the OCD/tics that affect his handwriting to being able to keep healthy candy in his mouth to suck on (helps with vocal tics) and everything in between!

Chemar,

Did you come up with the accomodations or did they? I have been studying the TSA links and the tourettes syndrome plus pages. Do we need these accomodations written in. Did you leave it up to the teacher or were they in writing via the 504 plan or IEP? I think going to the resource room for a break or extra help is a good one. How do you get them to agree with you on these things? Did you have trouble pursuading them when he did not have an academic need? It is all related because if they are distracted and having tics they don't stay on task but if they are not failing it is hard to get services. His principal is saying lots of kids coming in to first grade will have issues that have not been identified yet and have not seen as many Dr's as Andrew has. I will have TSA come to the meetings if needed. Did you ever bring in advocates? I don't think the school is used to dealing with tourettes and they are comparing it to aspergers students in examples she uses.

Michele

Michele

usually the 504 plan provides those accommodations but it can be built into the IEP too

try those links to the TSA educational advocacy section that I left for Brink as they have a lot of good stuff there

My son had accommodations for everything from the OCD/tics that affect his handwriting to being able to keep healthy candy in his mouth to suck on (helps with vocal tics) and everything in between!

Hi Michele

I got our doc to write a letter supporting all the accommodations that my son felt he needed. You really have to be proactive and go in with the list of things needed. I didnt have the probelms I hear many having as the school nurse was clued up on Tourette and then, when we needed extra accomodations re the Crohn's, again they knew what I was talking about

if they dont know about TS, I would suggest you order the brochures for education that TSA provides. they really have a lot of good resources

re the academic accommodations...once again I got the educational psychologist (private but fully accredited by the schools here) to write a full supporting letter of what he needed and why

we had no problems at all getting it all added.

I ensured that all his teachers as well as the district school nurse and the special ed administrator were all there for each meeting

I never needed an advocate because we got what we asked for without problems, but I know others who have successfully used them

again, it has nothing to do with their grades and everything to do with their ENTITLEMENT under IDEA. Its the LAW!!! and you have that 100% on your side!

Thanks Chemar. You are such a great advocate for our kids. It really helps to talk to those who have been there and had success with the system. I sometimes wonder where I'd be if I hadn't found this wonderful place to chat with others going through similar situations. Blessings to all.

Michele

Hi Michele

I got our doc to write a letter supporting all the accommodations that my son felt he needed. You really have to be proactive and go in with the list of things needed. I didnt have the probelms I hear many having as the school nurse was clued up on Tourette and then, when we needed extra accomodations re the Crohn's, again they knew what I was talking about

if they dont know about TS, I would suggest you order the brochures for education that TSA provides. they really have a lot of good resources

re the academic accommodations...once again I got the educational psychologist (private but fully accredited by the schools here) to write a full supporting letter of what he needed and why

we had no problems at all getting it all added.

I ensured that all his teachers as well as the district school nurse and the special ed administrator were all there for each meeting

I never needed an advocate because we got what we asked for without problems, but I know others who have successfully used them

again, it has nothing to do with their grades and everything to do with their ENTITLEMENT under IDEA. Its the LAW!!! and you have that 100% on your side!

the TSA really is a wealth of information. I havent always agreed with the meds first philosophy, but they did have Sheila do a talk here locally in Central Florida about Latitudes, ACN and her book, (my son and I did a little support testimony for her :) and they really have so much useful information available, both on the website, as downloadables or by mail order brochures and help guides for everything from helping others understand what TS is, to stuff for very young kids to understand as well we to educate educators on Tourette <_<

http://www.tsa-usa.org

Tourette Syndrome Association, Inc.

42-40 Bell Boulevard, Bayside NY 11361

phone 718-224-2999

also the Latitudes/ACN tourette/tics info pages

http://www.latitudes.org/tics_tourettes.htm

and the learning disabilities info

http://www.latitudes.org/learning_problems.htm

Glad to be able to help. I started advocating for my son from pre-K for the central auditory processing problems LOL so I sure learned a lot along the way to where we are now ^_^ #1 rule is to politely but firmly be VERY proactive, and dont hesitate to ask for a full meeting with all teachers and nurse and special ed admin etc whenver either medical or *any* other issue necessitates either an addition to or emphasis on existing accommodation that your child needs to function in the classroom.

Tics, OCD and learning disabilities etc all are covered by law and when a physician or therapist etc writes a letter in support of what you are asking for then you also tend to get the point accross in language they understand :)

and dont hesitate to ask TSA re recommending advocates in your area. some are free and some charge small fees I believe.

Input from a classroom teacher (Florida):

If you have an IEP already in place for other learning issues, get an IEP meeting ASAP and make them aware of the medical diagnosis! REQUEST EVERYTHING that your child needs to be successful. If there are ANY issues that your child communicates to you about having trouble learning in the classroom, go after those accommodations during the next IEP meeting. Make sure that the teacher knows your child's needs......communication is key. We read the IEP and go with whatever it says, but we need to KNOW your child from day one! Any information to the teacher is helpful!!!!!!!! You are not pestering a teacher......if you have a good one who cares a lot! We LOVE children and need to know the details....that can not always be written in an IEP! If your child is having a bad day/period with their TS, contact the teacher....don't wait for them to figure it out! We WANT to know your child!

The 504, if you don't have an IEP..... I was told that my son's ESE (learning issues) testing process was not yet complete (after the entire school year had ended), so I marched into the office with my medical diagnosis. I told them that my child takes forever to do a standardized test b/c of his tics and focusing issues. I said that waiting for the IEP process will take to long....as I want extra time on his tests at the START of next year! They did a 504 meeting right away! They went through a check list of items that I could request. The teachers and I gave input on which ones he needed. If you don't understand the full meaning of one of the items on the checklist.....ask for an example of how it would be used in the classroom!

TS is a big disability in the testing environment! If you blink, you can loose your place in reading, which can lead to frustration/anxiety, all on top of the testing pressure we put on children. If you have head jerks, it has to be incredibly tough to read a passage, so maybe the test needs to be read to you????!!!!! I asked for more than my child will ever need....as you don't know what kind of day he may be having during an important test!!!! IF you have an older child....can they do scantron tests correctly, or do the tics make them mark wrong items???? Consider all of the things that may affect them!!!

If your child is not getting what you asked for in the IEP/504, make someone aware of it!!!! If you are wondering if you need a 504 plan, get one anyway. Take in your medical diagnosis and get whatever it is that can make your child's learning in the classroom fit them!!!!! You never know what type of day they may be having on "test day"!!!

I am trying to get it all done in Elementary school! Middle school is 7 different teachers with 7 different sets of classroom expectations/teaching styles! I want to have all of HIS needs identified so that he doesn't get frustrated in Middle School.

I hope I didn't ramble! I have a passion about this! I see TOO many students who come to me in high school and they are frustrated!!! They don't need to be, if you can cater to their learning needs!!!!!!!!!