ACN Latitudes Forums

ICE-CONE FLAVORS? All natural?

My daughter has been tic free for a bit now while on her seizure med. I still though want to keep our good healthy habits into play here.

Its pretty HOT already here in Florida and one of her favorite things to do with her friends is having icy-cones.

I have a machine that makes the crush ice but was ALARMED to say the least when I read all the YUCKY ingredients they include in the syrup to pour over the ice.

Can someone direct me to a place (internet would be easier) to get some of this syrup that is all natural???

It would be a really healthy treat if I could find a natural syrup...I have not so far.

Hi myrose ;)

have you considered getting pure cranberry and other juices and just adding a little stevia if you want it sweeter? most are naturally sweet and something like a pure concord grape is delish over crushed ice

we get organic juice at Publix ( they have good selection in their organic natural section which i see is thankfully growing daily!

We freeze our own popsicles. you can do it in tubs or buy a bag of sticks and those popsicle shaped freezer trays. :)

we like the organic grape, cranberry and peach best.

we make small batches at a time as they are best fresh

myrose,

Buy pure juices from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. You can sweeten with Stevia or Xylitol (which is an antibacterial/antifungal). You can boil and thicken with corn starch or tapioca or potato starch; this will turn it into a thick syrup. Try Trader Joe's Cherry (needs sweetener) unless she likes "sour" cherry. My kids like bitter icees as well. They have peach, mango, papaya, pomegranate, apple, and berry mixes. I make popsicles with pure juices and I bought an ice crusher (about $30) to make icees. I do not thicken. I just saturate them with juice.

Glad to hear all is well.

Tami

Myrose

You could make a simple syrup but instead of using water and sugar try all natural juice and sugar.

This is a simple sugar recipe I use and it uses water so its just really sweet syrup. Ive never tried using fruit juice but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

1 cup water

1 cup sugar

Bring water and sugar to a boil and boil until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature and transfer to a jar. Store in a cool pantry or refrigerate.

Jenny