ACN Latitudes Forums

Stuttering!?

:blink: I have not been on here for a while 2 reasons one no internet! 2 my son has been doing really good! UNTIL

this past month there has been many changes in his life he is 41/2 yrs old and he does not do well with change to begin with well .

We moved , got notice and moved all within 2 weeks! he was doing very good with the move and also another change has been my mother staying with us for a while now! there has been other small changes add up to tons for him!

My ? is could his stuttering be a Tic?? he has also been going to the washroom in his pants, not wanting to go to school, i cant do anything without him being right next me ... oh yes he has been SWEATING like crazy i dont know if this is b/c his asthma is bad right now with the heat or what but man the kid has a soaked shirt within 1/2 hour of playing!

ok i am done rambling on thanks for listening any advice would be great!

Ann

Hi Ann

yes, stuttering can be a tic

moving is one of the most stressful things...and for kids the change can be very very traumatic even tho they may not initially show it. The combo of that plus all the other changes to what used to be the "norm" for him could well be triggering much of this

do also check your new place out thoroghly for possible tic triggers (new paint, carpet, woodwork, pesticides, mold etc) including if your mom maybe uses perfumes etc?

kids have many different ways of exhibiting anxiety and stress.

praying you will be able to help him adjust and settle in to the newness soon.

Thanks Chemar the place is free of mold and all the yukky stuff i made sure of that before hand but now you say they prayed around my house a few weeks back for weeds and spiders! maybe that is on of the triggers!!

as for my mom wearing perfumes she cant she has COPD and is on Oxygen so none of that around here!:blink:

i just feel so bad for my son he yell at me i think it is b/c he i am the only one he can vent on he tells me he HATES me and it hurts so bad but i have to understand he has no clue what that even means i was getting very up set with him when he would say it but i have noticed he has been saying this to me when he cant express him self or is upset!

he has also been have problems at school thank god it is done soon! he is being teased by the other kids b/c they cant understand him he keeps saying he is ugly b/c this kid has said this to him.... just makes me so angry that he has to go through this i want to keep him home but i know that would not be good for him!

on a bright side he has met 2 boys ... they are brothers and he play greats with him he laughs the whole time he is playing with them... they are good boys 5 and 6 years old...

i am sorry i am rambling again!

Ann

Cheri,

I'm scared! We are relocating in August. The kids know; we talk about it. They actually want me to trap and move "skippy," our obese yard squirrell. I reluctantly agreed. Skippy is a menace to society. He gets into our trash, chews through our screens, and I have even walked into the livingroom and found that wretched rodent on my coffee table.

What else can I do to make this move easier? I will look for story books about it this weekend.

Anna,

Even if it is not a tic, they (whomever that is) think that stuttering, restless leg syndrome, and tics are all somehow related. Also, have you ever checked his strep titers. The wetting pants and clinginess are often associated with strep-induced episodes? During the course of all of this chaos, was he ever sick with a fever, strep or otherwise? Did he have any vaccinations?

Tami

lurker

yes he was sick he was not feeling well about 2 weeks ago! see i dont know what to do my doctor keeps saying it is normal and i know it is not (tics) he will not go into this much with me and as for changing doctors it is hard here i am in Canada and doctors are hard to get where i live if you have on then you need to keep him/her! i have taken all sort of stuff out of his diet and he was doing so good till now!:blink: i am so lost right now!

Ann

Ann

illness has always been one of my son's big tid triggers so you may want to look deeper into that. You say your son was ill? do you know with what? many viruses and bacteria, and especially strep (EVEN if the throat culture shows negative!!!) can trigger tics (look up PANDAS and PITANDS)

My son can actually tell if he enters into a highly chemical environment (pesticides, strong cleaning products, chlorine bleach etc) His sense of smell is highly acute....plus he begins immediate tics when exposed. I use special laundry stuff etc and keep his environment (and his food) as chemical free as possible

Tami

moving is gonna be stressful. That is unavoidable with it. But you can reduce the impact as much as possible by doing it in as calmly and orderly as you can. :blink:

I dont know about your kids, but my son reacts to stress and good excitement kinda the same so it is hard to balance the stress of the move with the excitement of the new place.

Being as relaxed as possible yourself (hard as that can be with all that you will be dealing with re the move) can make it MUCH easier on the kids

(LOL you may want to mention to them that Skippy likely has family that would be devastated to have him move :lol: )