ACN Latitudes Forums

Any suggestions?

At the moment, I'm taking:

Morning:

100mg magnesium citrate

15mg zinc oxide

30-50mg (can't remember offhand) vitamin C (part of zinc tablet)

1350mg chlorella

1 Candida Clear capsule

25mg vitamin B6

1 capsule Seven Seas Pulse Omega 3 fish oil

Around lunch time:

100mg magnesium citrate

15mg zinc oxide

1350mg chlorella

1 Candida Clear capsule

Before bed:

100mg magnesium citrate

15mg zinc oxide (I've just got zinc picolinate 22mg, so I may take one of these instead)

30-50mg (can't remember offhand) vitamin C (part of zinc tablet so will not take if using zinc picolinate)

1350mg chlorella

1 Candida Clear capsule

1 acidophilus plus capsule (by Solgar)

25mg vitamin B6

500mg taurine

Monday before bed:

1 Holland and Barratt B-complex+B12 tablet (but gives me a prickly, itchy feeling - must be niacin)

Now bearing in mind my tics aren't all that much better (they are better, but not hugely so), is there much point?

Is there something I should add to this?

Is there something I should take out?

Is there something I should increase/decrease?

Any advice, please let me know :huh:

posting on the run so havent looked at all yet but only 300mg magnesium daily for someone with TS may be a bit low

my son takes daily 500mg magnesium from supplement sources in addition to that from his dietary sources

at least a month on supplement program is a good idea to truly see the benefits

as mentioned before, my son cant take fishoil as it increases his tics

zinc oxide is not a very good form to take so glad you are switching to piccolinate

are you getting enough calcium in your diet not to need to supplement with it?

have you tried adding l-carnitine for tics too? some also find l-carnosine in combo with it good

I can't remember exactly, but I think I've been taking:

magnesium citrate for about a month and a quarter/month and a half

zinc oxide + vitamin C for about a week

zinc picolinate - bought yesterday, taken two tablets so far

chlorella for about one and a half weeks

Candida Clear for about two-three weeks?

acidophilus plus for just a little shorter period of time since starting Candida Clear

vitamin B6 - started then stoped, then started about half a week/half a week ago?

Seven Seas Pulse Omega 3 fish oil for about half a week

taurine - started, stopped then started again about two weeks ago (before bed instead, to avoid feelings of rage - so I hope it's not doing damage lol)

B complex+B12 started, stopped then started again recently. Not sure when. Now before bed only.

I thought I'd give the fish oil a try just in case I was one of the lucky ones who found it okay. Surprise surprise that wasn't the case -_-:lol:

In fact I contacted Dr. Robin Pauc about the fact that fish oil seems to increase tics (he suggests the use of it in his books Is That My Child? and The Brain Food Plan). He says that TS, OCD, ADHD, ADD, some types of autism and AS, dyslexia and dyspraxia are all part of 'developmental delay syndrome'. It's pretty controversial. He makes some good points, but it doesn't seem right to me.

This was my email to him:

Hello,

I am on your forum under the name of Greyhound and I have a question regarding fish oils which I hope you won't mind me asking.

I belong to another forum (ACN/Latitudes), with others who are, like me, trying to improve their tics (and/or their children's tics) with vitamin and mineral supplements, however many of them have found that they experience an increase in tics using fish oil (but not with flaxseed oil). Could you possibly offer any explanation as to why this is?

Thanks,

[name]

(Greyhound)

Hi [name]

The jury is out as to whether or not the body can effectively metabolise flaxseed oil.

If you are taking fish oils you should also take Vit C and B complex together with zinc and magnesium to help the body to deal with it.

An increase in the level of tics is not unusual when you start a new form of treatment. However, it is very important that the diet and supplements are dealt with first of all, then specific physical exercises and then certain computer generated treatments.

Best wishes

Robin

Anyway...

I don't know if I'm getting enough calcium or not. I always thought I was, but I don't actually know, especially if I'm going to supplement with 300-500mg+ of magnesium. I'm confused as to whether I need to:

- increase magnesium to balance the calc-mag levels because magnesium is lacking compared with the calcium

- increase magnesium because it is deficient full stop

- increase magnesium and calcium because both are lacking, but it's only the magnesium which will help the tics (or maybe both? I don't know)

- increase magnesium because there isn't a deficiency, but extra magnesium can help tics, and calcium needs to be increased to maintain the balance

I hope that makes sense :lol:

The trouble is with experimenting with different vitamins and minterals is that it's so expensive! I've just looked at Solgar's L-carnitine and it's between £22 and £41 pounds! :blink: If (haha) I did manage to buy any, which type is best? Or do I just get one with four types?

I might even risk iherb.com if it's cheap, despite the fact it says 'supplements' on the parcel when they send it (don't want my parents or brother seeing it).

Greyhound,

The theory I have heard is that calcium and magnesium compete for uptake. Most people are magnesium deficient (d### Western diet). I honestly don't know if mega-dosing magnesium can affect your calcium levels, but I have always heard not to take them together, as in at the same time. Take them several hours apart or at opposite ends of the day. This will give your body time to absorb some of each. I think I recall reading that calcium should be taken with food. Magnesium may be better suited to bedtime as it has some relaxing properties. I looked back at your first post -- maybe substitute a calcium for the mag citrate in the am and take the 100mg of mag citrate at bedtime.

Hi Greyhound,

I'm new to this board... We're managing my son's TS symptoms through dietary changes, supplements and seeing a chiropractic neurologist.

Have you looked into possible allergies or tried an elimination diet?

After reading "Is This Your Child" by Doris Rapp, MD and "Why Can't My Child Behave" by Jane Hersey, we began a version of the Feingold diet. No MSG (sometimes it sneaks in as it has many names), dyes and artificial flavorings. We then started one of the elimination diets mentioned in Doris Rapp's book and found that our son is allergic to eggs, so we stopped giving him eggs (which he LOVES). We saw a huge improvement.

We had allergy testing done (IgG blood test) and found that he's highly allergic to milk and eggs; has a slight allergy to soy, strawberries, apples, oats and wheat.

I truly understand your frustration. My son had very severe ticcing... now we only see slight things on occasion -- no one notices.

Just a thought. Good luck and best,

Sarah

At the moment, I'm taking:

Morning:

100mg magnesium citrate

15mg zinc oxide

1350mg chlorella

1 Candida Clear capsule

25mg vitamin B6

Around lunch time:

100mg magnesium citrate

15mg zinc oxide

1350mg chlorella

1 Candida Clear capsule

Before bed:

100mg magnesium citrate

15mg zinc oxide (I've just got zinc picolinate 22mg, so I may take one of these instead)

30-50mg (can't remember offhand) vitamin C (part of zinc tablet so will not take if using zinc picolinate)

1350mg chlorella

1 Candida Clear capsule

25mg vitamin B6

500mg taurine

Monday before bed:

1 Holland and Barratt B-complex+B12 tablet (but gives me a prickly, itchy feeling - must be niacin)

Now bearing in mind my tics aren't all that much better (they are better, but not hugely so), is there much point?

Is there something I should add to this?

Is there something I should take out?

Is there something I should increase/decrease?

Any advice, please let me know :blink:

Slightly altered (with correct chlorella amount this time too - I typed it in wrongly before)

Morning:

100mg magnesium citrate (will be getting malate soon and will probably take 1000mg (150mg of actual magnesium) and also calcium citrate 250mg)

15mg zinc oxide with 30-50mg (can't remember offhand) vitamin C (part of zinc tablet) but I will hopefully be getting vitamin C + grapeseed soon

1560mg chlorella

1 Candida Clear capsule

half of B complex tablet containing:

- B1 25mg

- B2 25mg

- B3 25mg (niacinamide! No prickling!)

- B5 25mg

- B6 25mg

- B12 25µg

- folic acid 200µg

- biotin 25µg

- 25mg blend of alfalfa, choline bitartate, inositol, PABA, parsley, rice bran, soya lecithin, watercress

Around lunch time:

100mg magnesium citrate (will change soon + add calcium)

22mg zinc picolinate

1560mg chlorella

1 Candida Clear capsule

Before bed:

100mg magnesium citrate (will change soon + add calcium)

22mg zinc picolinate

1560mg chlorella

1 Candida Clear capsule

other half of B complex containing:

- B1 25mg

- B2 25mg

- B3 25mg (niacinamide! No prickling!)

- B5 25mg

- B6 25mg

- B12 25µg

- folic acid 200µg

- biotin 25µg

- 25mg blend of alfalfa, choline bitartate, inositol, PABA, parsley, rice bran, soya lecithin, watercress

500mg taurine

This is getting very close to Bonnie's supplements.

Greyhound,

Like szcasey, a restrictive diet (Feingold, casein and gluten free, no corn syrup) has been VERY powerful for us. We also have a supplement routine, but I feel at least for us that the diet is the most impactful. If we miss a supplement, I do not see tics in my son. If he eats something with dye that he is not supposed to, I ALWAYS know ... it shows up in behavior, loud talking, hyeractivity, and sometimes a mild tic that a mother will see.

You might also want to consider a probiotic- you may have had this in your list but I did not see it. At least for my son, a digestive enzyme has also helped him to better process food.

We went from mutliple tics all day/every day (this time last year) to an occasional very mild tic after we changed my son's diet. In general, his health too is much better now. He gets sick less frequently and no longer has dark circles under his eyes.

Good luck in your journey to figure out what works for you!!