ACN Latitudes Forums

B1 Dosage

I have a b1 by Solgar which is 100 mg. per capsule. I'm guessing this is the way B1 usually comes if separate from the other B's because I am noticing my capsule is very tiny, so 50 mg. would be really tiny. If you just want to start with 50 mg., you can open the capsule and sprinkle out half onto a spoon of apple sauce or a little juice and then snap the capsule back together for the next time. (pull it apart very gently with a little twisting action and with very dry hands, if they are wet or damp the capsule with already start to melt and won't go back together. Remember to leave the unsued portion separate from the rest so you don't forget it is half.). if you get it in tablet form, just cut in half.

BTW, I don't think 50 mg. is the max, I have seen b-complex in a 100 mg. formula, however its probably best to space it out because I think you just excrete what the body doesn't need. Why do you want to try b1 alone and not a b-complex?

Faith

Thanks for that.

The reason I want to try it alone and not with a B-complex is because, from what I've read, the B vitamins work together and if there's a deficiency in one, it may cause an imbalance rather than just a deficiency (or an imbalance may cause a deficiency), in which case a B-complex would raise the levels, but not balance them.

Also, the fish oil seems to make the tics slightly worse. I have a feeling I heard somewhere that raw fish can lower thiamin (B1) levels. I don't know if this applies to cooked fish or not and I am assuming the fish oil is from cooked fish?

B1 is supposed to help the nervous system, but you know, I'm so confused about all the B vitamins that I think I'll just give up lol :huh:

Hi Greyhound

my son started the B1 when he went to south america on a youth trip to help build an orphanage in Nicaragua. We were advised that B1 would prevent mosquito bites. He found the added beenfit of neurological modulation too.

He doesnt take it separately anymore, but has all the essential Bs incorporated into the protein shake he drinks daily and this doesn not upset his system like taking a B complex tab used to

re fishoil...my son can eat as much fish as he chooses with only good results

BUT

if he goes near fishoil (we have tried many types) his tics skyrocket!!

He found the added beenfit of neurological modulation too.

That's what I was hoping B1 might do.When Faith asked me why I wanted B1 separately and I tried to find articles to link to, I could find none and thought I was going mad about the neurological results.

re fishoil...my son can eat as much fish as he chooses with only good results

BUT

if he goes near fishoil (we have tried many types) his tics skyrocket!!

That's odd. I'd love to know why that is.

I saw a list of the different types of B1 somewhere (e.g. thiamin triphosphate) saying which types were best for what and I cannot find it anywhere now. I want to get the type which would be best neurologically (well, obviously lol).

As for B-complexes, do any of these come close to looking okay?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/vf/labels/000190HB.pdf (one I'm already taking, but have problems with)

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/vf/labels/000580HB.pdf

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/vf/labels/000770HB.pdf

Any of these: http://www.solgar.com/Products/Vitamins/Vi...-B-Complex.aspx (can't link directly to each)

There are others (fomr Boots) but the 'view more information' button has disappeared again lol

And does this C-complex look useful at all?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/vf/labels/003140HB.pdf

Aren't B vitamins water-soluble anyway so even if you were to take an excess you would just pee it out, just like with vitamin C?

(I mean compared with vitamins like A, D, E, K, etc. that are fat soluble and excess is stored in fat and can possibly be toxic).

I've seen sport drinks/multi-vitamins that have doses of B vitamins in the 1000s of RDA % (altho the really high ones are usually B6 and/or B12 if I remember). I think the reason it's safe to go that high with B vitamins is because they are water soluble.

Cheri,

Did your son have to have vaccinations for that youth trip? Did he react at all? How old was he? Sorry for the interrogation; It's an area of personal interest. My son's best friend had THREE shots about three weeks ago, and he had a severe local reaction and -- no kidding -- now has a tic. If you recall, my son's disorder manifested just three short days after his DTAP.

Tami

Faith,

The other kid just turned five. I don't know what boosters they were, just five-year-exam ones. I can almost guarantee you at least one of them was a three-in-one though.

My little man only gets the tics when he is viral now. His last three bouts coincided with swollen lymph nodes (my sister and I got them too), a slight fever (101) last month, followed by swollen tonsils (not caused by strep). When he gets them, they wax for about two days and then go away. Also, he gets these tics in the affected areas: lymph nodes -- neck tic; fever -- general twitchiness; tonsilitis -- sort of a throat-clearing gulp, which was barely audible.

I'm still not used to this as the original reaction waxed for FOUR months! You would think I would be ecstatic, but I think I have some sort of post traumatic stress over this as I am always waiting for the proverbial "other shoe" to drop. It's never what he is doing or how bad it is that causes me the most discomfort, it is what he might do or how bad it could be.

Cheri,

Did your son have to have vaccinations for that youth trip? Did he react at all? How old was he? Sorry for the interrogation; It's an area of personal interest. My son's best friend had THREE shots about three weeks ago, and he had a severe local reaction and -- no kidding -- now has a tic. If you recall, my son's disorder manifested just three short days after his DTAP.

Tami

Hi Tami

yes, he had to have vaccinations (hepA, TD and Typhoid) and at the time it did not seem like he reacted at all. In fact, his tics were down substantially during and for some months after the trip. He went in summer of 2003 and took all his supps with him and maintained as careful a diet as possible (they had an RN as one of the chaperones)

I was very against his going initially because of concerns re the vaccines, as well as his TS/OCD, but he begged me to not let the illness block his ability to join the group and, altho with much trepidation, I allowed him to go.

back to the B1........he had not a single mosquito bite in the entire 2 weeks that they were in Managua which is pretty amazing!!

I've seen sport drinks/multi-vitamins that have doses of B vitamins in the 1000s of RDA %

The RDA is not the maximum. The RDA is the Recommended Daily Allowance which is really the minimum of what you should be getting to prevent a deficiency.

Water soluable vitamins are safer that fat soluable ones, but they can still cause minor toxicities, usually over a long period of time rather than straight away. I think B6 is the most harmful one to have too much of. Also, I think the kidneys have a part in making sure excesses are excreted in the urine, so that would put extra stress on them.

I've now bought http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/vf/labels/000580HB.pdf and now I've got the regime close to Bonnie's and others' of you on here.

I now need C and I'd like to have grape seed extract (if money will allow).

I found this NOW Foods product which contains grape seed extract, vitamin C and a small amount of calcium which sounds great, but the vitamin C is from calcium ascorbate. I take it that's calcium chelated with ascorbic acid which is vitamin C? In which case, wouldn't the calcium make it less absorbable?

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=8157

Bonnie uses ester C for vitamin C. What's that?

Oh, and I'm looking for more magnesium - I'm almost out of the old lot. I'm looking for something other than Holland and Barratt's too-thick-and-therefore-too-bid-to-swallow tablets which I have to chew each time. Also, the citrate keeps giving me diarrhoea (I think it's that that's doing it anyway). What's magnesium malate like? I don't know if I've read anything about that.