ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone have a spouse who looks at you like you have 2 heads?

Sometimes my dh looks at me like I'm crazy. He doesn't protest to anything we're trying with ds but when I start going off about sulfation systems and neurotransmitters or salicylates, etc...he just starts staring at me! It's kinda funny, to tell you the truth.

Here's a recent story from this AM: Ds had been sick with a nasty cold that started on Monday and he hadn't ticced in the past 2 days. Well, this AM I see the minor facial twitch that leads to his eye wink start. So, I start analyzing what he ate yesterday, etc. I realized that when he was sick I hadn't given him pizza or a lot of dairy(he did have a turkey sandwich on Wed. that had cheese on it) ie. no milk, no ice cream, no pizza with mozz. cheese. Anyway, I see the tic starting and I said: salicylates???? tomato sauce???? To which my dh says, "What the heck are you talking about?" And he has this look of fascination on his face like I'm just spouting gibberish at this point! I started to laugh b/c I realized that a lot of what we discuss on this board probably does go over other people's heads, including our spouses(until we educate them, of course!).

Anyway, I had to share! So, now I sit here and wonder if ds is reacting to salicylates or is this just a coincidence that he didn't tic for 2 days, eats pizza(Wolfgang Puck natural pizza with nitrate free pepperoni), and now I see the tic again??? He also had a BLT sandwich for lunch that had tomato on it, as well.

I really need to find that list of salicylates and try a little experimenting!

Bonnie

Sometimes my dh looks at me like I'm crazy. He doesn't protest to anything we're trying with ds but when I start going off about sulfation systems and neurotransmitters or salicylates, etc...he just starts staring at me! It's kinda funny, to tell you the truth.

Here's a recent story from this AM: Ds had been sick with a nasty cold that started on Monday and he hadn't ticced in the past 2 days. Well, this AM I see the minor facial twitch that leads to his eye wink start. So, I start analyzing what he ate yesterday, etc. I realized that when he was sick I hadn't given him pizza or a lot of dairy(he did have a turkey sandwich on Wed. that had cheese on it) ie. no milk, no ice cream, no pizza with mozz. cheese. Anyway, I see the tic starting and I said: salicylates???? tomato sauce???? To which my dh says, "What the heck are you talking about?" And he has this look of fascination on his face like I'm just spouting gibberish at this point! I started to laugh b/c I realized that a lot of what we discuss on this board probably does go over other people's heads, including our spouses(until we educate them, of course!).

Anyway, I had to share! So, now I sit here and wonder if ds is reacting to salicylates or is this just a coincidence that he didn't tic for 2 days, eats pizza(Wolfgang Puck natural pizza with nitrate free pepperoni), and now I see the tic again??? He also had a BLT sandwich for lunch that had tomato on it, as well.

Bonnie

Ok, so I realized that he also had blueberries yesterday AM and also a fruit bar that was tangerine at night. Wonder if the amount of salicylates has something to do with the tics? I really need to be better with the food journal!

^_^ Whenever my son asks my husband if he can have something, he goes (real agitated) "I don't know (name), I have no idea what you can eat, ask your mother!.....I know he gets frustrated with all the monkeying around I do with his foods, and keeps telling me to take a break from the computer, but.... he ain't the boss of me! :wub:

why do you suspect salicylates? I have long been suspicious of blueberries, but since my son does not seem to react immediately, more like next day or two, I never really know for sure what is the culprit, if any. But recently I have mentioned that I am experimenting in reducing salicylates in the way of fruits, because due to his recent Igg test showing reaction to all the main categories, I started to give alot of fruits, smoothies (used blueberries and strawberries, honey, coco milk), and he seemed to be ticcing more than usual. We are never exactly tic free, but I notice the difference between what I consider mild and noticeable, like his head was bobbing non-stop. Its been several weeks, and while he is still eye twitching, the head has calmed down alot and the vocal has too, but who knows if it is due to this, or is the eye twitching just in the lead now? I have to keep watching and since I just cannot successfully eliminate gluten right now, the fruits and sals are a little more doable.

Find that list, there's one on the enzymestuff site and do as much as possible and let us know how things go.

Faith

^_^ Whenever my son asks my husband if he can have something, he goes (real agitated) "I don't know (name), I have no idea what you can eat, ask your mother!.....I know he gets frustrated with all the monkeying around I do with his foods, and keeps telling me to take a break from the computer, but.... he ain't the boss of me! ^_^

why do you suspect salicylates? I have long been suspicious of blueberries, but since my son does not seem to react immediately, more like next day or two, I never really know for sure what is the culprit, if any. But recently I have mentioned that I am experimenting in reducing salicylates in the way of fruits, because due to his recent Igg test showing reaction to all the main categories, I started to give alot of fruits, smoothies (used blueberries and strawberries, honey, coco milk), and he seemed to be ticcing more than usual. We are never exactly tic free, but I notice the difference between what I consider mild and noticeable, like his head was bobbing non-stop. Its been several weeks, and while he is still eye twitching, the head has calmed down alot and the vocal has too, but who knows if it is due to this, or is the eye twitching just in the lead now? I have to keep watching and since I just cannot successfully eliminate gluten right now, the fruits and sals are a little more doable.

Find that list, there's one on the enzymestuff site and do as much as possible and let us know how things go.

Faith

Well, the reason I suspect it is that I had him on a strict diet for 3 days while he had a cold/stomach thing so his food consisted of noodle soup, electrolyte replenisher, turkey sandwiches, toast, etc. I had allowed him to have gluten ie the toast and cheese so casein those last 2 days. Then on Wednesday he was starving and he ate blueberries, tomatoes and tomato sauce on a pizza, and he had a Dole tangerine bar at night. His tics have come back(very minor, but back nonetheless) and I wonder.....he had been completely tic free for 2 days. Of course, it could all be a coincidenc, too!!! :wub: I just never know!

In my house, I am the one who handles the recovery and maintance program for my son. It took my wife time to come around and accept that the view I was looking at was not crazy. But those alternative results spoke louder then the mainstream doctor's words that she used to take as gospel.

ilovedogs,

You have just touched on something that i can totally relate. My husband has been completely clueless to the alternative treatments that we have been doing and is not interested. He basically leaving it all up to me. I can't even carry on a discussion with him because he knows so little. Thank goodness for this forum. Otherwise, i would have no one to talk to about it. I just come to accept the fact that i am the person in charge with this.

Pat

Perfect example of my life with this stuff. My spouse asked today if he could take my son Andrew with him to his parent' s house. I said okay. When a he returned Andrew had a foot long pixie stick that he had eaten that was blue. What does my husband or they not get about avoiding artificial colors? Anyone knows sugar makes you hyper! The kid is ADHD. They do this intentionally because they know I don't give him the junk. They try to annoy me. These people, my husband included, are clueless about what we are trying to do here and what my son is going through. They don't even try to understand or ask about him. So yes I know my husband thinks I have two heads when I go on about this stuff. Thank God we have people here who we can share our concerns with. I know we will have meltdowns today.

Michele

Bonnie

OK, misery definitely loves company, because these stories are making me feel better! I often feel like I am the salmon swimming upstream -- most of the time, I am working away on this by myself. Earlier, I was trying to get my husband's opinion on the combination of supplements, and he informed me it was impossible for him to have an opinion as he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I wish he were more interested, but that just isn't going to happen. I will say -- it is hard finding foods that are "acceptable" -- so many things I had thought were innocent joys of childhood (like M&Ms) are just soooo not good! I have the biggest problem with my sweet daughter, who understands clearly what is good and bad (most of the time), but sometimes chooses to just eat what she wants (especially when with her friends). So, my husband (at least sometimes) thinks I am over-reacting, and my daughter would probably agree. And, I have yet to find a doctor (who I can actually talk to as opposed to read his/her book) who embraces this natural approach. Right now we have just opened our pool -- with chlorine. It is our first summer with the pool, and instead of being a "luxury" of summer, I find myself holding my breath every time we use it. It is causing me "closet" stress (stress I can't talk about because if I tell my kids we cannot use the pool, I will be the most unpopular wife/mother ever! Oh well. . .

^_^ well my spouse doesnt..... but I know some of our friends and other family members do ^_^

actually, truth be told, the only time my hubby looked at me that way re our son, was when I agreed to allow the trying of the medications his then neuro, pediatric,psychologist,psychiatrist and teachers were pushing so hard and he was truly suffering sooooo badly with the OCD related tics plus those that can cause injuries and we were desperate.

My husband was very against the meds and surprised that my son (only 10yo at the time) and I were willing to risk side effects for some respite in this disorder that had suddenly taken over his life ^_^ We shoulda listened to hubby!!

But on the other stuff, my husband I guess thankfully comes from the perspective in seeing things helped for him since he implemented his own supplement/diet modifications and seen the benefits to his own TS, OCD,ADD and GIT issues. Even his erratic high blood pressure has stabilized more. And he was far more trusting of alternative medicine as was I since long before we even met each other....we had both seen results in alternative/natural herbal and dietary changes, and also results when we had acupuncture transdermal radiogenics testing and biofeedback therapy(which sounds to me similar to the NAET/NEAT/BIOSET that some of our members have mentioned helping :) ) My hubby always new he had "stuff" going on...he just didnt know it was TS spectrum stuff till our son was diagnosed

As far as the other aquaintances who dont "get" our chemical and additrive free/ organic wholefood diet "obsession" :wub: I try my best to educate them nicely if they ask "why no dye?" or something like that...but most often I can see them mentally notching me up as "weird" ^_^