ACN Latitudes Forums

Need MRI advice/NAET emotional clearing question

This is my first time posting & I want everyone to know how much your posts have helped me over the last 9 months!!

I have learned so much & would love to get some feedback regarding whether or not to go forward with an MRI for my 6 (almost 7 ) year old son.

Let me give a brief history... In Aug, of last year my son woke up one day just blinking like crazy, then he began clearing his throat & making some strange noises. The noises went away, but the blinking did not. I consulted with someone who knew a lot about autism & developmental disorders and she asked me if he craved sugar & had dark cirlces under his eyes- indeed he did!!! He then began chewing his tongue (wow!!!) and nodding his head back, not a lot, but it was alarming. It was a VERY long winter for me (and Ben). We eventually had all sorts of test run through Great Plains Lab and discovered several things that could be contributing to Ben's tics- no IGE allergies, but tested very high to IGG with wheat, gluten, gliadin & peanuts. He has been free of all of these foods for 3-4 months now. He also tested positive to yeast- so we are 3 months into a 6 month course of nystatin. He tested neg to strep stuff (though recently started having to use the bathroom really frequently, which I know can be a sign of PANDAS- ) I also have him on Bonnie's TS Control , EFAs & magnesium. He takes digestive enzymes, a probiotic & eats no artificial anything, very limited sweets & no television at all (major trigger). Once a week I have been driving all four of my kids 1 hour to see a NAET practitioner. We have noticed HUGE improvements- hard to say whether it is vitamins or NAET- I think it may be both, but not sure it matters as I am just so happy to have my son back. Today we even went to our swimming pool (chlorine)& I was so concerned he would start in, but he DIDN'T!!!

Here are my questions, and I would really appreciate any feedback.

We recently met with a neurologist who did NOT push meds, was supportive of our course of action ( I even told her about the NAET treatments), but she did suggest an MRI to rule out anything on his basal ganglia (sp?). He would lay there for 45 minutes. Childserve would be there to help us through it. I know that stress increases my sons tics, so I am concerned to put him through such a procedure when I feel fairly certain there isn't some other cause for his tics (he still chews his tongue & wipes his face on his shoulder 10-20% of the time) But.. the truth is, I am not a DR. & I don't know if there could be another cause

What have the rest of you done in terms of an MRI- do you see the benefit of ruling things out worth the stress on a child of having to lay in a loud machine?

My gut tells me to cancel it, but I don't want to regret it later if we miss something.

Also, though for those of you who have done NAET treatments, did you find emotions or even past developmental experiences needing to be cleared? This seems to keep coming up for my son- lots of emotions, perhaps even more than all of the allergy/food stuff? This is the main reason why I am so concerned to put him through a stressful procedure.

You guys are amazing!!

Thanks for being there,

Jeanne

Jeanne,

I would be concerned too. What are they looking for? Find out what they intend to do if he does in fact have "damage to his basal ganglia." If it is just a matter of calling it "birth trauma" and writing that down on a chart, that doesn't really help Ben. I could rationalize testing to see if there is ongoing seizure activity -- that would produce a treatment plan, not a statistic.

My son has the wheat/gluten/gliadin allergy too, and we are at about 4 months as well. (I feel your pain!) Gluten takes a really long time to clear the system. You might want to research Caryn's posts. She said it took her son 5 1/2 months gluten-free and on Bonnies to remit.

Tami

Hello Jeanne, welcome, and thanks for sharing your story,

I've not had any of our doctors suggest MRI, and I'm curious why they would suggest that? I mean, that is really great that a neuro would even be open to that, they usually just do the EEG type thing. I've not heard anyone here relay any experiences with MRI either. Can they actually tell if anything is showing on the basal ganglia?

If your doctor suggested that and you have the appt. set up, I personally would go with it. I'm sure they have a way to deal with the kids who have to go through that. It is a long process, but I think they have music or headphones in there, not sure tho. The machine is not totally enclosed, I think you can still communicate with him and see him from the outside, really all they have to do is lay there and rest, maybe you could have him be up really late the night before so he is tired and may just want to nap thru it!

Did you start all those things you mentioned all at once? Have you seen any adverse reactions (worsening before getting better) from the Bontech or any other vits? What supplements were suggested as a result of the Great Plains testing? I have alot of blinking going on with my son right now, so anything you could share as to what you think helped that subside would be appreciated. Oh and how long after doing the gluten free would you say you thought it was helping, (do you cheat on this at all or is it 100% gluten free)?

As far as NAET goes, was he better before the NAET treatments began, or did you see improvement as a result of the NAET. Could I ask what allergens were treated so far? Anything you could relay about the NAET, I'd love to hear as I am considering going for this, but I am still a little leary. What do you mean by the emotional clearing, could you explain how that works? Do you feel a direct benefit from this treatment, or are you not sure at all if it has had an impacct? Is he still blinking?

Anything you could tell in more detail, I'd love to hear. And thank you again for informing us of the treatments that may have helped your child.

Faith

Hi Faith- I'm not entirely sure what she means by "emotional clearing", that's why I am posting, in hopes of shedding more light on it!! I think a lot of it is indeed emotional for my son & I do believe NAET treatments have helped. It is a healing therapy using energy. The basic 15 are cleared 1st (Vitamin C, egg mix, sugar, corn, wheat, B vitmains to name a few) but she has had emotional stuff come up for him that she muscle tests him for/clears him.. and he seems better. He hasn't blinked in 3 weeks, though does some mild tongue chewing & wiping his mouth on his sleeve. Hey- I'll take it next to the constant blinking which drives me crazy!!

Also, I do believe the TS Control has helped enormously!!! Before this we were doing everything I mentioned in my earlier post, but didn't see results. We haven't cheated with wheat yet, but he did have a hot dog (no bun) at the ball park& seemed fine, and twice he has had vanilla ice cream (we have limited all sugar because of the yeast issues & he is on nystatin for 6 months.

Great Plains suggested many things- Gluten free diet, low sugar diet,B vitamins, nystatin for 6 months, high doses of vitamin C, EFAs, digestive enzymes, etc. After you do testing you get to consult with their nutritionist for 1/2 hour free of charge.

So, bottom line, what is helping??? Not 100% sure , though I tend to feel it all makes a difference, with NAET & BONNIE'S at the top of the list.

Hope this helps & thanks for your feedback,

Jeanne

rossina,

My son has been doing NAET for the last couple of year, all together about 40 treatments consisting food & environmental allergents. We recently switched to BioSet, which is similar to NAET but can treat more than one item at each office visit and does not require a 25 hr avoidance period.

To answer your question regarding emotional issues, my son used to be kind of antisocial, angry, moody and negative. He has gotton alot better. Today he is happy, social, and more positive. NAET may help indirectly but i feel what helped him most is my working with him on his emotional issues. I also feel that CST has also been beneficial to his emotional well being.

Pat

We started with the IGg first, gave us a little bit of a insight to his main food allergies. We started Bonnies last September after a bad ticcing episode as he entered a new school for his 3rd year. Since Bonnies, he has never had a major ticcing episode. We have not seen any leg or arm movement, just a little head knodding and the regular intermitent eye blinking and tongue coming out. We also did the NAET treatments. I am still very skeptical of them, we have spend a lot of money and all I can do is "hope" they did somthing. I plan on getting him re tested using IGg this fall and see if things have changed. We also have gone pretty close to Gluted Free, but we still cheat a couple times a week with a hot dog or burger bun.

What we have noticed, is that he is happy and so good natured now. He was not that unhappy before, but most days he is just has a positive nature to him. Last week he had the dark circles again, so it could have been somthing he ate at school, or the fact that we slacked off on his diet.

We have been on this "journey" for two years now. Probably the worst two years of my life, although the first year was the hardest. Don't let this consume you, it can and will make you depressed and angry. Kids pick up on this, as well as your spouse and the other members of your family and friends.

No one will feel the same as you either, they will probably not notice hardly anything and think you are over reacting.

I feel I am qualified and experienced to give a little advice and support back to some of the people on this board that have done the same for me.

It gets better, all the healthy lifestyle changes we have made has helped out all of us in our family. You get to know what the main triggers are, for us stress is the main one. As a parent, you are doing the right thing. Don't give up, and make sure you hug your kids every day and tell them how proud you are of them.

Lenny

An MRI was ordered for my daughter after her first 20 minute sleep deprived EEG was abnormal....

She wouldn't let them put a needle in her for contrast or sedation so they went ahead and did it anyhow. The pictures were clear enough to be read in which it was not required to repeat with the contrast.

It did show an old injury that appears to have happened during birth.

In my opinion and my opinion ONLY....It was good for us to have the MRI just to be sure to rule out anything and everything.

It only lasted about 20 minutes and my daughter who is scared of EVERYTHING just layed there quietly and it did not bother her at all.

They even gave her a picture of her brain to keep.

Good luck in your decision....and I hope the best for you and your family.