ACN Latitudes Forums

Potassium Bicarbonate helping son's tics stay controlled

Tracey,

Don't give up hotdogs! Trader Joe's sells great ones -- "100% beef, no nitrates/no nitrites, no fillers, gluten free, no MSG, no added antibiotics or hormones, no artificial ingredients." They taste great and are very cheap.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tracey,

Don't give up hotdogs! Trader Joe's sells great ones -- "100% beef, no nitrates/no nitrites, no fillers, gluten free, no MSG, no added antibiotics or hormones, no artificial ingredients." They taste great and are very cheap.

I've also seen the Applegate Farms nitrate free hot dogs at Costco!

• 4 months later...

I found this thread searching for "aspergers" "potassium" -"chelation". Anyway I have a few comment to make about potassium. First there could be potassium channel dysfunction in various developmental disorders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypokalemic_s...overstimulation

I personally do notice a clearing of my mind when I take 1000 mg of more of potassium. The original poster suggest the doctor was recommending the potassium bicarbonate as a pH increaser. That maybe but its possible he is aware of the above "Hypokalemic_sensory_overstimulation".

The mother mentioned her child regressed when he ate Mac and cheese. Thats a very salty food. And in theory sodium is antagonistic to potassium. A diet high in sodium might negate the effects of low amounts of potassium.

Potassium bicarbonate is sold at wine brewing stores to increase the pH in wine. There can be dangers in high amounts of potassium. It can irritate the stomach and even cause death. So do not even think about supplementing with non-food sources without expert advice. Natural unprocessed food tends to all be low in sodium and fairly high in potassium. So a sensible approach is to avoid high sodium food. More that 1 mg sodium per cal is getting very high. Doctors often recommend half that level for people with high blood pressure. That would be about 0.5 mg sodium per cal. Read the food labels you feed your kid you maybe shocked how salty it is. Even wholesome bread is usually 1.75 mg sodium per cal.

Hello and I appreciate your input. The whole point of the Potassium Bicarbonate is to lower PH balance of the body. My son tends to be high PH which keeps histamine levels high. So taking the small amount of potassium bicarbonate 1/4 tsp a day (I don't know how many mg's this is) helps to lower the PH which in turn helps lower the histamine levels.

The potassium bicarbonate was all suggested by my Naturopathic Doctor. It is something I only get from him I do not use any other source. His is a pharmaceutical grade.

Have a great evening and a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Carolyn

Myrose

Hebrew International I believe has nitrates in it. It has been a while but I know we did buy them at one time and then opted for Trader Joe's as it was a better option. Han's all natural is through Coleman products and might work if you can find it in the stores.

We use Hormel all natural lunchmeats in the prepackaged deli section. They have turkey, ham, and my son's favorite, salami. All are gluten free and w/o preservatives. The come in a brown colored cardboard box. We make rolls out of them. We add lettuce or cheese, or pickles, whatever, on them and then roll them up. I bought little plastic toothpicks with characters on them and I just insert it in the middle and it holds the roll together nicely for ds. It's like a sandwich without the bread.

Caryn

I have found nitrate free hot dogs at other supermarkets, too. Whole Foods, Fresh and Easy, and Sprouts Farmers Markets. My local Costco also carries nitrate free hot dogs: I believe the Applegate Farms brand(I'll have to check on that, though). When looking at the ingredients make sure it does not say: sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate as those are the giveaway words. I know Hebrew National DOES have nitrates!

B

Does anyone know if any of these stores carry those hot dogs? (all natural, no nitrate)

Publix, Winn Dixie, Albertsons

The usual grocery shops in Orlando Florida (East Orlando)

Publix has alot of stuff that I like that doesn't have all the YUCK! Even no wheat etc...

Try Jones brand sausages. Our local grocer carries them. www.jonesdairyfarm.com

Not the same as a hotdog, but still something fast and easy to make. Also, Costco has naked nuggets. I don't buy them due to corn allergy, but it would be worth a look if you are a member. Costco also sells coleman brand bacon that is preservative free and uncured. They also sell a maple ham that you buy fully wrapped and have to slice yourself at home. It is also all natural. I bought a meat slicer last year for under $100 and use it constantly. Love it.

You may be able to find preservative free hotdogs at your local health food store. Many carry gluten free, etc... in refrigerated cases.

here's a link to the slicer:

http://www.amazon.com/Choice-610-Premium-E...r/dp/B0002AKCOC

Not that I'm advertising Amazon, but I bought it through them (I have Amazon Prime) and I get a whole lot of bulk GF flours and other stuff through them. With prime everything is free 2 day shipping (and it really is only 2 days!) I recently ordered a huge box of chocolate cake mixes and the Pamela's 4 lb bags of GF flours. It is a really good idea for anyone trying to save a few bucks in the long run. I end up getting extra bags for 'free' that I wouldn't have if I had gone to the store and bought them. On average the mixes are 1-2 bucks cheaper each this way. I have a deep freezer and just store them in it.

WOW, how ironic that this post from May came to the top of the list on this forum. I just read through all of the posts again.

My son's tics returned this week. We noticed them when we left for vacation....pretty hard nose wrinkle and the eye blink for the first time in a long time. I chalked it up to the excitement of being on our way to a big vacation. They subsided slightly during the week. We returned home yesterday and they came on full again today. He ate hot dogs for lunch at least 3 days this week....but the tics were there before he ate them. I will try the potassium bicarbonate, if they continue. Thanks for all the info on hot dogs too!!!!

here's a link to the slicer:

http://www.amazon.com/Choice-610-Premium-E...r/dp/B0002AKCOC

Not that I'm advertising Amazon, but I bought it through them (I have Amazon Prime) and I get a whole lot of bulk GF flours and other stuff through them. With prime everything is free 2 day shipping (and it really is only 2 days!) I recently ordered a huge box of chocolate cake mixes and the Pamela's 4 lb bags of GF flours. It is a really good idea for anyone trying to save a few bucks in the long run. I end up getting extra bags for 'free' that I wouldn't have if I had gone to the store and bought them. On average the mixes are 1-2 bucks cheaper each this way. I have a deep freezer and just store them in it.

Caryn,

Thanks for the link to the slicer- I would love to get one. Do you slice all of your own sandwich meat? I spend so much on deli meat every week! I couldn't find the all natural ham at Costco. I am wondering if different stores carry some different products. We are in SC.

[quote name='Carolyn.N' date='May 30 2008, 05:54 PM' p

Carolyn,

I was hoping that since your son is seven and my son is seven and they both weigh the same you could share with me your vitamin /nutritional plan and amounts?? I will share mine with you as well as dr's plan when I get after Nicholas' tests come back. The reason I ask is I am having a positive result with the NAC and apple cider vinegar. My doc has the pot. b. but I don't think I can get that until Jan. 6th when we go back. I mentioned it at our visit and he said he uses it but I don't think he uses it for tics. Not sure .

Thanks

Abbe