ACN Latitudes Forums

Potassium Bicarbonate helping son's tics stay controlled

Faith,

We have two long-haired housecats. Fortunately, they choose to live in my bedroom, but I have found it very helpful to brush them every morning. It seems to remove a day's worth of shedding. I brush them in the bathroom (tile).

I heard people are less likely to be allergic to pets if raised with them, and I agree, dander is a year-round thing, not seasonal.

HOWEVER, my husband is allergic to his parents' cat -- its the only cat in the world he is allergic too. He sneezes, eyes water. I told him it was impossible to be allergic to just one cat. The cat was kept inside for two weeks due to sutures for an absess, and he wasn't allergic to her anymore! Turns out it was the nextdoor neighbor's bushes that she napped in every day. Do you have a housecat? If she is an indoor/outdoor cat, try keeping her in for several weeks.

Also, I find those bedtime tics to be the most persistent! I think it has to do with shutting down and quieting their body for the night. Anyone else see them at bedtime?

Tami

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tracey,

I know you told me before, but just to clarify my brain, did you say it was a couple of "weeks" before you felt improvement on the eye blinking (or anything else) or was it immediatelfy as in a couple days? You started both NAC and carnitine same day or a few days later? Also what type of b vits are you saying you ran out of, a b-complex?

Thank you thank you thank you

Faith

Faith,

I stopped logging everything and the days run together! I have been through at least 40 of the pills, so it has been about 40 days since I added them. The tics have been gone for a few weeks at least. I don't think it was immediate because it took me a little while to notice how the blinking was gone. I should be logging it so that I can let the nuerologist know that I didn't need the BLOOD PRESSURE medicine...... and that I DID need to log everything and DID NEED TO try food changes!!!!

The B vitamin that I have run out of was a B Complex 50 mg from the Vitamin Shoppe....I remember thinking it had everything that I wanted when I researched it. I bought more and will add it maybe tomorrow..........as I told you in our emails, we have started to be lax on the supplements. We forgot them last night and this morning. That may end up causing me some problems, and if it does I will write in and let everyone know!!

Tracey,

Wow and praise the Lord!! I am so excited the NAC is working for you too. It certainly has done amazing things for my son. I feel as if it has freed us up some on having to be so rigid with him.

Thank you for letting me know that it helped him. It truly makes the time spent in posting the information so worth while knowing it is helping others.

If you do find yourself where you think you need to add another little something, to help him out, I would certainly recommend trying the Potassium Bicarbonate.

Thanks again for letting us know he is doing better.

Carolyn

Faith,

I am with you about trying to eliminate all of those foods. After 7 days off the wheat my sons tics have increased I noticed yesterday and today. The head nodding is getting more frequent and now he is putting his hand over his stomach like it hurts after he nods- don't know why - hoping he doesn't have an abdominal tic now! I don't think going wheat free is going to do it for us. I really am thinking I need to try some supplements as we are giving none right now. Are you giving any supplements at this time?

Carolyn,

I would like to try the NAC but waiting on OAT results and want to discuss with dr. which supplements to start. I was wondering if your son ever had an IgG done and was he reactive to any foods or is it only the MSG, HFCS, and artificial colors and preservatives. I was looking at the list of foods you feed your son and it seems like you have so many options. After a year of limiting so many foods and worrying over everything I feed him I am really feeling exhausted by it all. I'm wondering if I can figure out which supplements to give we can go to a more normal diet. Would you mind listing which supplements you give your son? Sorry if you have done this before- my computer is really acting up right now and I can't do a lot of searching.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary,

Right now his basics are magnesium, probiotic and he gets B12 shots with folic acid. I have added and subtracted over the past two years, based on how he seems to respond to them. But even when he was on a certain regimen, there was never consistency on his doing well or not doing well. I mean, if he was doing well, obviously I would stay on whatever i was doing in the way of supplements, but then there would come a period where he was "not" doing well and so I would be adding or subtracting with the guidance of the Naturopath or the DAN or just my own intuitions. But when things got complicated, I felt I wanted to just keep the mag, probiotic and stay with the B12. Now I am thinking once I use up this months batch of B12 shots, if things are not better, I might start pointing a finger at them, we have used this for about 1 1/2 yrs., but there were periods of time that he was doing pretty well while it "was" in the mix, so that is why I kept it in.

So right now I am doing the above and was also trying the NAC for past three weeks.

You have never given any vitamins or supps at all? No magnesium?

Carolyn, did you miss my post above? just had a couple questions re the bicarbonate and how the doc "mixed" it in? (ps. I did give 100 mg. of b6 last night and today, so far his head and eye is still basically there, with the eye blinking being the dominant one, head is not as bad as it was a few weeks ago, but I still see it.) I will keep going with the NAC and give the B6 a few more days, I don't want to give up too soon, as long as it is not causing any obvious increase.)

thanks

Faith

Faith,

Faith, I am so sorry I did not get to your post earlier. I only had a few minutes on the forum earlier today and knew I would not have time to respond completely to your questions. So here we go........................

Regarding the Potassium Bicarbonate, the doctor just decided to try mixing the NAC with it. But what happened is it got real gummy mixed together. So this time when he gave them to me he kept the products separate. Also, you do not have to take the products together. The doctor was just going off of my discussion with him regarding sulfation and thought to try these two things two products together. The reason I put them in capsules is Daniel is tired of me "mixing" things into juice or whatever have you. He has no problem in swallowing capsules. So we bought a BIG bottle of empty capsules from the Vitamin Shoppe Internet site. We just pack the powder in them and he swallows them down.

Regarding the B6, I don't know the answer as to how often you could give that high a dose. I know I was doing it about once a week for about 6 weeks. But I cannot say how much is too much. Perhaps someone else on the forum might know the answer to that question.

Faith, I noticed you said he does better in early summer. Does this mean when he is out of school completely? I am just wondering if this could be a correlation to either not eating school lunches, which I am positive some of the lunches like the chicken nuggets would contain MSG, or do you think there could be any correlation to fluorescent lights at school? I know fluorescent lights can cause problems in some people. Have you ever noticed his tics increase around certain lighting?

I understand where you are going with the cat. It does not seem to make that big of a difference for him with what you have done for him. But have you ever had him tested for cat dander? I do know it is one of the top allergies for people :) .

Carolyn

Hi Mary,

Daniel has never had the IgG done. He has only had the testing done similar to NAET, which you can read about at this website http://www.naet.com/ , called NEAT. The NEAT helped me narrow down his sensitivities but mainly I came to understand his sensitivies through doing the food journals. I started really seeing the pattern to his insensitivity's to MSG, High Fructose Corn Syrup, and artificial colors. What is really difficult for me to gauge with Daniel is I have done the NEAT program on him literally since he was a baby. I obviously had no idea, when he was a baby, that he would end up with tics in his life. But I wonder if we had not done the NEAT so long perhaps he would have a very long list of sensitivities. Obviously I will never know.

I would highly recommend NEAT to people, because they do test for hundreds of allergies in one visit unlike NAET, but the problem is I don't think it is offered outside of Arizona. It was a doctor who developed it in Phoenix and I think only two offices in Arizona even do the treatment. I might be wrong though. But the doctor who developed it is named Dr. Konrad Kail. I know he wrote a book about allergies and the NEAT treatment. It discusses why NEAT works but I don't think it is in print any longer. I do not go to Dr. Kail any longer I go to Dr. Orona at Naturopathic Family Care. She is absolutely a wonderful doctor.

Regarding the supplements I give Daniel, if you go to this post and scroll down in the very first post of the thread I list the supplements http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...Carolyn+N\ . I can absolutely attest to the fact that the supplements have done miracles for my son. I don't know where he would be without them. It is literally the difference of night and day for him with the diet changes and supplements.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

just to reply to your quick questions,

I can't say its night and day from the last day of school, but I just think that in the past he would gradually wane in June and summer months are not usually too much going on, but right now, this year I'm not so sure if we'll follow that pattern because he's still blinking and I still some head movements, so don't know there.

He never eats school lunches, only once in a blue moon, very rarely. I actually send him off with potato chips and a pear right now because he doesn't want any sandwich and winds up throwing away anything else I give him, so I just feed him as soon as he gets home. About the flourescent lighting, its certainly possible, but I have not noted anything obvious, like I don't think I've noted that in stores or anything.

The allergy testing we did with our DAN last year showed him a 5 to cat (1-10 scale) which is considered moderate. As I said, we were given allergy neutralization nasal spray, and ultimately I didn't think it had much of an effect on the tics he had at the time, (mostly vocal at that time), but I may try renewing that and trying again just to see.

I really wish I could see a a clear cust correlation to something, perhaps I have to resolve that it is not anything in particular at all. :)

Faith

Faith,

I will certainly be praying for answers for you. I know you have done so much research for your son. I am positive you have made a big difference in him with the things you have done already. The question is where would he be if you had not made dietary changes and added supplement? He could be far worse right now.

Hang in there and don't give up hope. Sometimes it is difficult to understand God's timing, in showing us what we have been asking of Him, but I always hold on to the fact that He does know absolutely every answer and His timing is perfect.

God Bless,

Carolyn

Relevant for you folks, I think--

Just got this from my med nauseum subscription:

I kept deleting this link when it came up on my Yahoo Groups. Now that I finally watched it, I think you need to find forty-five minutes to view it, too.

The author of The Germ That Causes Cancer interviews Dr. Tullio Simoncini, an Italian oncologist, who explains his theory that cancer can be caused by fungi in things like grains, alcohol, and antibiotics. Cancer, itself, he says is a fungus.

The most surprising part of the video is how simple and easy the treatment is: baking soda. The fungi cannot adapt to it -- part of the reason is the high alkalinity of baking soda. For most cancers, catheters are used to deliver the sodium bicarbonate directly to the tumor. Dr. Simoncini says that when sodium bicarbonate is in direct contact with a tumor, it can literally vanish in one week. He says with blood, breast, and brain cancers, 99% will heal within 6 days if the tumor is catheterized.

I can't vouch for the theory or the treatment, but it is certainly intriguing and the treatment does no harm and costs pennies. Certainly meets all my personal criteria for giving it a try.

Click here to view the video from KnowTheCause.com.

You can read more about Dr. Simoncini's work at cancerfungus.com.

You are subscribed to email updates from med nauseum blog

Faith,

Some one around here was giving protein snacks every three hours. It was a critical part of her treatment. I am assuming you have a fussy eater. Could you get him to eat a rolled up piece of roast beef or turkey with mustard?

As far as the "I have to resolve that it is not anything in particular at all" goes, maybe he doesn't have one huge trigger. I think that the "bucket" or "camel's back" theory probably applies to most of our kids. When you can find an enormous source of stress and eliminate it, they can tolerate more little stressors. What if he doesn't have a 10, but lives in an environment of 3 to 5's. Maybe its just a matter of eliminating enough of those?

Pat said something in another thread. I must have read it eight times because it just clarified everything for me. It was something to the effect of treating the whole child and striving for overall well being. That's the perfect plan. It may also be the only plan for a kid that has a lot of little sensitivities.

Tami

Thanks Tami,

you might have something with the protein snack, if not for anything but I do notice he is pretty cranky and irritable in the morning while he is starting to eat, and I'm noticing he has these little episodes of irritability on and off during a day, so perhaps I should look to see if it is related to his not having eaten in a while.

And yes, I do understand what you're saying about trying to keep down all the "little triggers" so as not to add up, but I guess that's why I get so frustrated, because I "do" do all those "small changes" for the most part, so I am feeling he should be doing better for it. I don't know if there is anyything in particular that is his main offender, I certainly have not seen any obvious correlation. But I've come to far to stop trying, I'm gonna stay in the game, I still have some options left.

Faith