ACN Latitudes Forums

Wii

For anyone who has the Wii games, does anyone see any problems with this for your kids in relation to the screens issue?

I'm not sure, but my husband goes and buys this last week, and so of course I'm suspecting IT as a potential problem. So Its hard for me to tell because he's been eye/head ticcing for a couple months now. That's why I didn't protest too much about getting the game, I mean, he had the eye and head thing already going on anyway. But now, of course, I'm wondering if playing this everyday is making things worse, and why he's not seeming to respond to anything else I'm doing. This is actually the first and only video type game we ever had. All this time, he only played once in a blue moon at friend's houses. Our tv is also the regular kind (not lcd or panel).... Everytime I think he's looking like he's starting to wane, he starts up again.

As I said, he's waxing bigtime right now, so I am looking at every angle. This is a tough time, because there are so many things to consider as his triggers, I don't know where to begin and how long to give each thing., I am really jealous of you guys who seem to figure out exactly what effects your kids. I am so confused.

Thanks

Faith

Faith,

Sorry to hear that your son is waxing right now. I know what you are going thru.

As for the WII, i would be cautious because it is screen. I know when my son is waxing, screen increases his tics, rather it is TV, computer or video games. Unless the WII does not cause your son to tic more, than might as well let him have some fun.

The thing that i find so hard about treating tics is avoiding triggers for kids. I feel the avoidances are like punishments.

With BioSet, you can test & treat TV, mirowave, computer and electro mag radiation and UV light.

I feel that what contributed to my son's recovery is largely due to finding modalities that are helpful & finding a good practitioner who is good at what they do. As i have mentioned before, I have gone thru 3 CST therapiest, 2 ND, 3 chiropractors, various modalities and constantly fine tuning the treatment plan.

Faith, you are such a detective, i am sure you will eventually figure this out, or at least keep the tics manageable.

Please remind me again what modalities have you tried and how long.

Also, another thing that help me come up with my son's treatment plan is to aim at his overall well being. For instance, because he has allergies & asthma, i stayed with NAET even tho i never saw a direct impact on his tics for one and a half year. I know that if his vitality is restored & balance, his body will heal itself. This will eventually eliminate his tics.

Pat

For anyone who has the Wii games, does anyone see any problems with this for your kids in relation to the screens issue?

I'm not sure, but my husband goes and buys this last week, and so of course I'm suspecting IT as a potential problem. So Its hard for me to tell because he's been eye/head ticcing for a couple months now. That's why I didn't protest too much about getting the game, I mean, he had the eye and head thing already going on anyway. But now, of course, I'm wondering if playing this everyday is making things worse, and why he's not seeming to respond to anything else I'm doing. This is actually the first and only video type game we ever had. All this time, he only played once in a blue moon at friend's houses. Our tv is also the regular kind (not lcd or panel).... Everytime I think he's looking like he's starting to wane, he starts up again.

As I said, he's waxing bigtime right now, so I am looking at every angle. This is a tough time, because there are so many things to consider as his triggers, I don't know where to begin and how long to give each thing., I am really jealous of you guys who seem to figure out exactly what effects your kids. I am so confused.

Thanks

Faith

(((Faith))), I'm right there with you trying to figure it all out, too! And, I'm just as confused. To answer your question honestly, I don't see any difference in his tics when he's playing video games. We have a Wii and a Playstation 2. I do see him tic more when he's in the pool, that's the only connection I've been able to make recently. I think the Wii is better graphics wise than the PS2. There's not so much movement on the screne, at least in the games that we play on the Wii. Right now we're dealing with anxiety more than anything else so the tics have taken a backseat in our daily grind anyway! Hang in there, Faith!

Faith,

I am right with you. I can not for the life of me nail down the exact reason my son is ticcing. Perhaps there is more than one, but uggghh! I wish I could eliminate some things. Have you done an IGG test? I think this is our next step as I am tired of limiting foods and not knowing. I do know that screens seem to be a big (maybe not all) part of the picture. Does your son tic during lighting in stores? My son does while in waxing so I am guessing he is truly photosensitive. And yes, the games seem to be worse than tv. Perhaps it is the anxiousness combined with screens and he is on an LCD small tv during this time. I am wondering iif anyone with photosensitivity issues also has problems in the sun. I thought my son started ticcing one day again after a long day of being in the sun. Has anyone else seen this? I am also having my son see a DAN doc to see if we can figure out his issues. Faith could your son see his DAN doc again? Did you find this helpful?

Faith,

I have told you, but not posted here that my sons bad head tics were almost gone a week after stopping the bontech vitamins. However, I do still see a head nod here and there and the blinking is still constant. I always thought of blinking as a mild tic, but not when they are constantly doing it! I really want to help him stop this!

I know I keep harping on this and I could be way off here, but your son Faith seemed to be doing really well throughout the winter months, and he started ticcing around the same time as my son. I read somewhere that kids could be a lot more sensitive to foods during the pollen seasons, which is when I have seen these flare ups - in the fall and spring. (While other times of the year they can have these foods with no problem). Have you seen this pattern with your child? I am wondering if the enzymes do not work as well during allergy season. I also have been giving a lot of wheat lately (with enzymes) I am going to do an experiment and take wheat/gluten out of his diet for a few days and see if I see a difference. I'm not sure, but maybe you have already tried this? I will let you know how it goes with us.

Mary

thanks guys,

bmom,

we have done igg recently (did one last year where corn and yeast were the big ones) and now its all major categories, corn/yeast/wheat/gluten/milk/casein/soy among others. I mean, to be honest, I limit these to the best, and have always done the corn and diary restriction. I really thought it seemed to help last year, but things have not gone smoothly ever since, so I am always doing those "small changes". I just think for all the healthy practices I've employed in the last year or two, I would think my son would be better off than this. Only thing I can say is for the better is his vocal, that seems to be on the back burner (have no idea why) but what he's got going on now is that head jerk and eye twitching. As far as our DAN, I feel we sort of dead ended with him, he signed off on this new Igg because I asked him to, but he does not believe in their accuracy, he thinks the elimination is better. If I want to persue other things like testing, or yeast or metals, I would have to go in there and persuade him to, I'm not sure why he never suggested it to me, those things I do more with our naturopath.

Mary,

he has not had this head jerking since more than a year ago, but it was gone by end of February last time (and I attributed it to ridding of corn products at that time). He did not have this head thingy, but I was mostly dealing with just the vocal with mild or unoticeable motor. Now it seems we traded one for the other. I am not clearly seeing a pollen season correlation, because he was not exactly doing great before, its easier to see when things are going well before the boom. I want this to stop too, he's doing it harder than ever, me and my husband can't help ourselves from reminding him to be careful or you'll hurt yourself doing that so hard! :D

I'm going to keep him off this Wii for the week anyway, just to not add any other problems, I probably have to do a gluten free trial (but I did do that with the DAN last year, I can say it did not eliminate his vocal at the time). But with so many restrictions that I would have to follow, I am not having succes in eliminating everything at once, so this may take a little while longer.

Patty, I have done mostly dietary and supps, used a naturo and DAN, and did try chiropractic last year for couple of months, but I did not see stellar improvements with any of this. I think I have more to look into. I think I have to stop looking for reasons, and just start concentrating more on methods of treatment. I'm too scattered, I just don't feel I've found any doctor yet to really guide me through this. I really don't like trying this and trying that, it getting me nuts.

I'll let you all know if the head calms after a week of the Wii.

Faith

Faith,

I'm doing a "drive by" because I am really busy now, but I wanted to respond to you and Bmom. I will respond at length later. Anyway, you may want to consider getting a "glare guard" to put in front of your screen when he resumes the Wii (whatever that is) next week. They are screens that you put in front of screens to shield the glare/flicker and reduce eye fatigue. They used to be commercially available at electronics outlets before they started pushing the new lcd and plasmas. You could probably get a great deal on ebay and have it by the end of no-screens week!

Also (I'm assuming it cables up to a tv?) you should use a small tv. in a well lit room and sit at the farthest practical distance.

Tami

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to update that I did take away the Wii for about last 3 weeks. Well it felt like after about 10 days the head jerking did calm down, however he seems to replace it with turning his head to left like he wants to look at something over there, and the eye twitching is still there (like blinking with emphasis on one side of the face).

So to me, this does not seem like any victory. :blink:

Faith

Faith,

My son does that turn to the side head tic only when he is on the computer. I even remember he did that when he was in the 4th grade. I never at the time thought it was a tic I just thought it was odd.

CP

well Faith I gotta tell ya...if I were to take away my son's Wii or any of his game systems I would trigger mucho tics ^_^

when we looked into the photosensitivity issues we realized that for my son darkened room with flashing lights, as well as fluorescent lighting were the main triggers. Also Claire's info on the advantage of reducing flicker by only using LCD screens helped. We avoid fluorescent lights as much as possible (ugh when the incandescents are phased out :huh: ) and my son always plays games or watches TV and computer stuff with a daylight lamp on

He also limits his time spent on any games that have flashing graphics

the trade off of a few tics but having him relax with his games is a tiny one IMHO

I just wanted to see if the Wii was a contributing factor in his tics seeming a little more prominent of late. He is not a big gamer anyway, this is the only video game we have, so it wasn't really a big deal. But I had to know. I mean, wierd that the heavy bobbing stopped, but he just did this other thing, which is just as obvious, so its confusing.

When you say he tics more during the games or computer, does the tics linger after that, or is it just during the games and then its over?

Thanks

Faith

for my son, as he tics daily with his TS, it's really hard to answer Faith. But when he plays explosive, flashing or multi-movement games (lots of stuff going on all around kinda thing), he tics more. His tics are definitely reduced when he is in total relax mode and he doesnt seem to tic much when reading, not at all when playing his musical instruments, eating :huh: etc

cinemas trigger big time and longer duration tics for him. so many factors there that set him off.