ACN Latitudes Forums

How soon do PANDAS symptoms come on after STREP

I've been trying to put some pieces of the puzzle together lately. What I can't figure out is why this OCD is coming on now? Why not last year or the year before? Ds has always been an anxious child but not of the OCD type. He started with tics back in November but had a full blown strep case back in January. I started seeing the OCD in April. Is that too long of a turn around time? Does PANDAS come on right after the strep infection? I only ask b/c if it doesn't, then I can get him tested for the strep antibodies. I had been discounting PANDAS with him all this time, though.

Any thoughts?

I know my sons OCD came on gradually. His compulsiveness was more about marked likes and repeat urination urges not dirty hands or washing away germs. This PANDAS disorder is so odd. Like today my son has been not himself. He has been more difficult to deal with, louder noises, cracked his knuckles more often. I start to wonder was he exposed to strep and are his antibodies elevated? My daughter had a sore throat and cold this week. I ran out of omnicef and he missed a day yesterday. So the answer is yes, OCD can come on later as can the ADD. With repeat exposures the symptoms can change with each episode. Initially PANDAS does come on with a strep infection though.

M

I've been trying to put some pieces of the puzzle together lately. What I can't figure out is why this OCD is coming on now? Why not last year or the year before? Ds has always been an anxious child but not of the OCD type. He started with tics back in November but had a full blown strep case back in January. I started seeing the OCD in April. Is that too long of a turn around time? Does PANDAS come on right after the strep infection? I only ask b/c if it doesn't, then I can get him tested for the strep antibodies. I had been discounting PANDAS with him all this time, though.

Any thoughts?

I am new to all this too...

I know my son has had PANDAS for 16 months because it was never diagnosed properly. His symptoms waxed & waned (antibodies going up and down) and he was on anti-convulsants for awhile, and then I found out anti-convulsants are also anti-inflammitories) so his symptoms subsided...then he became really bad again 6 months ago so I wonder if he was reinfected with something?

The most pronounced symptom in your child is a sudden change after an illness..which my son definitely had.

I wish I knew more! Sarah

Does anyone know if the OCD or ADD come later in non-PANDAS tic disorders too, or are they usually observable at onset?

I was wondering this, as well! B/c ds started with tics before the OCD-type behavior. Of course, I'm still wondering if it's true OCD or just general anxiety that he's carrying too far. He doesn't have ANY compulsive behavior. His stuff is all thought based and I wonder if some of his behavior is attention getting to some degree.

Bonnie