ACN Latitudes Forums

Help me figure this one out?

Ds has been having OCD symptoms and after logging the behavior for a few days I've realized that it occurs at approximately the same time of day. It seems to happen between the hours of 3-6 PM and continues through the evening.

Has anyone heard of this one? Of course, the tics increase when the anxiety picks up. I'm still waiting for the doctor to call me back and recommend what supplements for this as we're also waiting for the Neuroscience test results, as well.

I just can't figure out what could cause this? could it be as simple as a blood sugar thing?

Thanks,

Bonnie

Bonnie,

Could there be some stress from school? I actually addressed this in your tics/pool/diet thread, and I don't know how to move it or copy it here.

Tami

Tami, we homeschool and usually finish around 1 PM, then we run errands or go visit friends, play games, etc. He does great through school time and accomplishes all that's asked of him. And, each day it's different stuff going on including Saturday and Sunday(when we don't do school). He wakes up happy, eats a decent breakfast, does school, and has lunch with no problem. Some days he's fine until about 6 or7, others I see him start fighting his "bad thoughts" around 4 PM or so.

B

Bonnie,

My son would always at 4:00 start to get louder tics. I don't know if this is kind of the same thing. I would say he did that for about almost 2 years.

When I told my mom about this she said that was like her father who had Alzheimer's The home would call it sundowners, because the folks would act different. Maybe that time of day has something to do with the brain. My dad said, if the moon could mess with the waves in the ocean why not something in our brains?

C.P.

Bonnie,

Clearly its not school! Since it happens in that time-range look for tips for afternoon fatigue. I can't imagine getting a child his age to take a half hour nap at 3:30, but maybe 20 minutes on a trampoline would accomplish the same thing -- reboot his system.

My son has only been ticcing at bedtime (book time). I assume it is because it requires complete inactivity, and his hyperkinetic little body is having trouble settling down and needs an outlet. I have experimented with gum (thanks, Judy) and crushed ice and a superhero type toy to diddle with while I'm reading --all seem to provide enough distraction.

Maybe your guy is triggered when he transitions into relaxation mode?

C.P., Adding to your theory, infants go through that colicky time in the early evening that my pediatrician called the "witching hour." Both my kids did that between 5:00 and 7:00.

Tami

hmmmm, hard to say with my son as when at school he would always have the tic wax afterwards. I had always just assumed it was the "release" of tics after suppressing at school, as most do seem to do.

(Like that soda pop analogy of it getting shaken all day and then the top taken off, once the release can come with family-solitude etc, and then whoosh....

But yes, later afternoon into night....

the Crohns cycle seems to run at worst early (3-4am ish) to mid morning and then settle more. When my son was having flareups he would need to keep a banana and bottle of protein shake mix in a cooler to have that when the pain woke him ): (hasnt in many months now since implementing his diet/supplement plan :wub: )

OCDs have always been worst late afternoon and into the night