ACN Latitudes Forums

Inositol reaction: itching

My 11 yr old niece is OCD and on zoloft, Lithium orotate, and choline. Her mother is trying different natural therapies in preparation to take her off the SSRI. After giving her a high dose of inositol, she went crazy itching all over. This happened twice. She called her osteopathic doc who told her not to exceed 500 mg of inositol. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Any thoughts as to why?

Thanx,

PJette

Hi

so sorry to hear this has happened

PLEASE warn her mother that it is dangerous to give other serotonin boosting supplements or medications when still taking an SSRI as serotonin spiking can result

giving a high dose of Inositol along with an SSRI could do this!!

usually a severe itching reaction is indication of allergy. i would personally think if allergy, it is a reaction to something in the other ingredients rather than to the inositol

however if it were me I would stop giving the inositol immediately and not risk more adverse reactions

From your experience and research, Cheri, could it be possible that (since she's taking the SSRI),

and at times is bouncing off the walls, has anger issues as well, -that her serotonin could be overloaded?

I was thinking her sx seem to indicate serotonin syndrome, but I've read that SSRIs will eventually deplete serotonin.

And GABA will also affect serotonin? I thought it only affects the GABA neurotransmitter. I was under the impression it will help calm everything down...

She tried to take her off the zoloft, and the poor thing suffered so badly she actually begged her mother to give it to her again!

I've been sending her info on how to safely taper down, but advised her not to do it until she can get her DD somewhat stabilized.

The lithium orotate we use for my DH's bipolar, and it has stabilized him tremendously. It seems to work well for the racing thoughts and the manic side of bp. So I sent her some to try and the doc said it was ok. Her DD says it really calms her thoughts. But she still is tortured by OCD -especially at school, so she just will not stabilize at this point. I guess until she is off and detoxed from the zoloft, there's not much she can take in the way of supplements that will help.

What does the methionine do for your son? Does it help with his OCD or TS?

I'm assuming you're doing the amino acids away from food, right? That's targeted amino acid therapy...

Thanx,

PJette