ACN Latitudes Forums

Teeth looking different?

myrose

I forgot to ask about my daughters teeth...we have been using Toms all natural toothpaste for quite some time now. Also stopped drinking fluroide water as well.

I noticed the other day that my daughters teeth look funny. Its almost like they have a transparency over them or something. Also some brown down by the gums.

She is 5, we visit the dentist every six months. He cleans and polishes them and then does an exam. We have never had any problems with anything with her teeth.

She is due for her next appointment at the end of May but her teeth are bothering me enough to call tomorrow and go sooner if we can.

Maybe this is the way teeth look when they are maybe ready to start coming out??? Can anyone tell me if they have seen at all what I have described? Could it be lack of fluroide or a deficientcy of some kind?

Just another thing to worry about.....I am growing so weary lately

I forgot to ask about my daughters teeth...we have been using Toms all natural toothpaste for quite some time now. Also stopped drinking fluroide water as well.

I noticed the other day that my daughters teeth look funny. Its almost like they have a transparency over them or something. Also some brown down by the gums.

She is 5, we visit the dentist every six months. He cleans and polishes them and then does an exam. We have never had any problems with anything with her teeth.

She is due for her next appointment at the end of May but her teeth are bothering me enough to call tomorrow and go sooner if we can.

Maybe this is the way teeth look when they are maybe ready to start coming out??? Can anyone tell me if they have seen at all what I have described? Could it be lack of fluroide or a deficientcy of some kind?

Just another thing to worry about.....I am growing so weary lately

Is she on any new medicine?

Very strange, but a similar comment appeared on a celiac support group I belong to just this week. Apparently it is very commonly the first sign of celiac disease and often dentists are the ones that refer their patients to gastroenterologists for testing. Celiac is currently in the spotlight research-wise at the moment. We all know here that most of these kids have multiple allergies/intolerances/ causes for digestive problems. It probably isn't that 'cut and dry' for Tourette's. I would suggest you check into it though, if you haven't already, just to rule digestive issues out.

Here is a study:

Dental enamel defects in celiac disease

The teeth of 40 adults aged 19 to 67 yr with celiac disease (CD) were examined for dental enamel defects (ED). A total of 33 of the 40 adults with CD (83%) had systematic ED in contrast to only 5 of the 112 clinical controls (4%). Unspecific enamel lesions were found in both groups, but they were more common in the control group (80% vs. 18%). Altogether 69% of the permanent teeth in adults with CD were found to be defected, in clinical controls only 19%. In adults with CD the ED were in contrast to those in controls symmetrically and chronologically distributed in all four sections of dentition. The present study clearly shows that symmetrically and chronologically distributed enamel defects are strongly associated with CD. Therefore in the absence of symptoms and signs of malabsorption dentists could easily select the right patients possibly suffering from CD for gastroenterologic consultations.

Hope this helps.

Caryn

--I will crosspost this under the wheat category too. :blink:

Caryn,

What does an ED look like? Could you let me know.

Ever since my son's two front adult teeth came in they are spotty, (like real white and tooth colored mixed) Only these two teeth. His dentest said it was nothing, and his inrergrative Dr said it was nothing. He was tested for CD and that came back neg.

Thanks,

C.P.

C.P.

I have to preface that I am not diagnosed celiac, but I am doing great on a gluten free yeast free diet after YEARS of health problems, mostly digestive and histamine related.

I have large white spots on my two front teeth. I was told by my mother it was because I had been on long term antibiotics as a child (birth to age 6). If you google search enamel defects you will learn that white spots are areas of decalcification, something that can also be attributed to a lack of calcium absorption. This is a hallmark symptom of celiac as many have issues with osteoporosis. Others claim the white spots can be from excess fluoride exposure. Injury can also affect tooth color (greyness) but is usually localized to the affected tooth. If you see a pattern on all exposed teeth and also see other signs of digestive issues then I definitely recommend you look into testing. I went GF before I understood the need for testing. I just completed the genetic screen for Tigger and will follow suit with the others, including myself in due time. Hope this helps.

Caryn

hi myrose,

does she brush her own teeth? IMaybe you could help her out for a while since she's still young. And flossing is important too, although that's one even us adults are not always compliant with! I know I have to be on top of my son to do a good job. One morning I scraped his front tooth with my nail and there was like a white gook, so I showed him and explained how all the foods and drinks lay on the teeth and you have to brush good. We don't use flouride toothpaste either, so I sometimes worry about that, but I think what I have read is that flouride is not really as important as people think. We have a check up tonight, I'll make sure he looks okay, but I know the dentist does not agree with me about the flouride, I always tell them no flouride treatment.

Faith

Caryn,

Now how lucky am I, that you just so happen to have the same white spots. I was afraid you would not know what I was talking about.

When my son started the 6th grade about a month before he exploded with TS, in his school picture he does not even have his two front teeth. That is real late. I kind of thought that was the reason, stuck up in his gums too long. :blink:

Now my question is over the last two years I have noticed his white spots have lightened or more like blended more with the natural color of his teeth. His calcium has always been in the normal range, but do you think the natural calm, kefir, and/or raw milk would change/help this defect?

I was waiting for his IGG to come back, but I tell you, I have a bad feeling about the wheat/gluten. How are you on gluten/casein/corn/soy free. :)

Thanks for all you help.

C.P.

C.P.,

I have always hated the white spots on my teeth. I have one big one on my left front tooth (almost 1/4 inch squared) and three little flecks on the right front tooth. I was always very self-conscious of them when I was younger, even looked into getting the teeth bonded at one stage. Whitening or cleanings really don't do anything but maybe fade the difference in shades of white vs yellow. The discoloration is always apparent regardless of the products you buy/try, etc.... Once my wedding was over and I became a mom the teeth just weren't so important anymore. Honestly, if your son ever complains or seems self-conscious just tell him that he (and you) are probably the only two people in the world who notice. I remember talking to my husband about it once when we were engaged, and he looked confused. When I pointed them out to him he looked at me like I was nuts for being so self conscious about something that other people would never notice and would never show up in photos. But I know what you mean.

From what I understand the 'scars' are created during the development of the tooth, so that would mean that mine were a result of something I was exposed to in my early years, not when they emerged.

Now my question is over the last two years I have noticed his white spots have lightened or more like blended more with the natural color of his teeth. His calcium has always been in the normal range, but do you think the natural calm, kefir, and/or raw milk would change/help this defect?
I honestly have no idea. In my experience nothing has helped to alter them except bleaching my teeth and that only helps to even out the discrepancy. The actual spots themselves never change. It is almost like a loss of pigmentation, like on the skin, only this is on the teeth. I wouldn't have minded if it had effected my entire teeth, LOL and looked a bit uniform. Tell your son to keep smiling and not to worry about them. They are like little freckles in his mouth. Honestly, no one notices. When he is old enough to date the girls will be looking into his eyes, not at his teeth.

I was waiting for his IGG to come back, but I tell you, I have a bad feeling about the wheat/gluten. How are you on gluten/casein/corn/soy free. :blink:

Well, I hope you don't have to 'join the club,' but if you do I'm in your corner when you need it. On the upside it is a relief of sorts, to finally get at the 'root' cause of a lot of issues. You may see tremendous improvements when the diet is changed. We did, but it was gradual. I'm not sure if that was because I didn't know what I was doing in the beginning with the corn or what. Now that is one club I would hate to see anyone else have to join!

Tigger is doing great. We have created quite a foodie. It is hysterical at times. I had a meeting with his teacher a few weeks ago and she laughed and told me that she has to hide her cans of pop and chocolates from his view (she is celiac, btw) because he will tell her that it is 'junk' food and is full of artificial stuff and corn and is very bad for her body. LOL. I told her that he is impossible to take shopping now (he is an early reader and has a great memory when he is told stuff, but still has that beautifully honest 5 year old mind). So innocent..... He will comment when an innocent mother grabs a gogurt at the dairy case, "Doesn't that have artificial colors in it mommy, and too much sugar? Isn't that gogurt bad for you? Isn't plain yogurt better?"

Needless to say hubby and I are late night snackers and are always being put in check by little Tigger. Yesterday he came into the office and announced to me, "I think I'm vegan." I almost wet my pants from laughter. I asked him where he had gotten that idea from. He heard something on the food network and he said he knows he doesn't drink milk so he must be vegan. I told him that they eat wheat and corn. He was sooo disappointed. Then he wanted to know 'what am I'? Hm..... We are kind of eating a Paleolithic diet, so I suppose 'Cave' man? Well that sounds too weird for a kid to say. I just told him that he is an 'original' eater. He eats what people ate long before there were fast food restaurants or cows to milk. Seemed to satisfy him for now.....

Caryn

To answer some of your questions.....my daughter was not on any medication. She has been on antibiotics just 2x in her life.

Also I brush her teeth first and then let her, so the teeth are being well cleaned.

I called her dentist today, waiting for a call back to move her her routine appointment up to this week if possible.

It is my understanding that the dentist can recognize if this has something to do with celiac. I will post after we see the dentist and let you all know what he says...until now i have to wait and I would say wonder but I am used to wondering these days!

Thank you for all your repsonses and help.....