ACN Latitudes Forums

Tourette Syndrome

As some of you know I have a Grandson that had seizure in January and from that time he has been seen by a few Doctors.

We still do not know why he had a seizure or why he is still jerking his little head to the right.

One Doctor put him on Clonidine and one Doctor put him Topamax.

I told both Doctors that I did not what him on these drugs, and my Grandson did not take the drugs.

These Doctors did not do an EEG on my Grandson so I did not trust them.

These where different Doctors and different times we where not seeing two different Doctors at the same time.

I finally had an EEG done! and this will surprise you it was done at the rquist of my Grandsons Rheumatologist Thank God the EEG was normal.

ALL THAT ASIDE.

My Grandson asked for a piece of GUM TODAY he has never had a piece of GUM I know that sounds strange but it is TRUE.

YOU WILL NOT BELEIVE THIS IT STOPPED THE TICS I HAVE WATCHED HIM ALL DAY, TIC FREE ALL DAY.

GUM!!! CAN THIS HAPPEN WITH GUM??

I have been holding by breath all day.

Wow, Judy,

If I may, I would like to recommend a gum -- Xylachew and Xlear gum both are made from xylitol, which is an antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal. It is gluten free, and does not contain colors, preservatives or sugars. Try Whole Foods, near the checkout. Congratulations. Please keep us updated.

Tami

Wow, Judy,

If I may, I would like to recommend a gum -- Xylachew and Xlear gum both are made from xylitol, which is an antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal. It is gluten free, and does not contain colors, preservatives or sugars. Try Whole Foods, near the checkout. Congratulations. Please keep us updated.

Tami

Thank you I will try that gum..

Judy,

I know my cousin said her son with tourettes really benefits from chewing gum at school. It keeps him focused. Plus at therapy I see some of the OT kids using it during their sessions. Thanks for the information about it's use in reducing his tics.

Michele

As some of you know I have a Grandson that had seizure in January and from that time he has been seen by a few Doctors.

We still do not know why he had a seizure or why he is still jerking his little head to the right.

One Doctor put him on Clonidine and one Doctor put him Topamax.

I told both Doctors that I did not what him on these drugs, and my Grandson did not take the drugs.

These Doctors did not do an EEG on my Grandson so I did not trust them.

These where different Doctors and different times we where not seeing two different Doctors at the same time.

I finally had an EEG done! and this will surprise you it was done at the rquist of my Grandsons Rheumatologist Thank God the EEG was normal.

ALL THAT ASIDE.

My Grandson asked for a piece of GUM TODAY he has never had a piece of GUM I know that sounds strange but it is TRUE.

YOU WILL NOT BELEIVE THIS IT STOPPED THE TICS I HAVE WATCHED HIM ALL DAY, TIC FREE ALL DAY.

GUM!!! CAN THIS HAPPEN WITH GUM??

I have been holding by breath all day.

my son had an accomodation built into his 504 plan at school to be allowed to chew gum or suck (healthy) candy as it helped him too.

Judy, I dont want to put a damper on things for you, but this is just one of a number of helpful coping mechanisms and not a "cure" for TOURETTE tics. It was actually something recommended by the CBT therapist when my son was having a lot of mouth/teeth blended tics/OCD. For my son, playing musical instruments and doing other artistic/creative things etc also seems to dampen tics.

also, as an aside, chewing does also stimulate digestive enzymes so there may be added benefit from that

my son had an accomodation built into his 504 plan at school to be allowed to chew gum or suck (healthy) candy as it helped him too.

Judy, I dont want to put a damper on things for you, but this is just one of a number of helpful coping mechanisms and not a "cure" for TOURETTE tics. It was actually something recommended by the CBT therapist when my son was having a lot of mouth/teeth blended tics/OCD. For my son, playing musical instruments and doing other artistic/creative things etc also seems to dampen tics.

also, as an aside, chewing does also stimulate digestive enzymes so there may be added benefit from that

Thank you, I thought I had found something of a miracle cure.

I know so little about TOURETTES..

Is there any medication that dose help with the jerking,my Grandson tells me his neck hurts all the time.

He dose have an appointment today with his new ped Doctor.

I feel so helpless.

"this one will confuse you" ....................... ha, well thanks for trying!

Judy,

So far it doens't look like you are getting anywhere with these doctors. Could you tell me again what he does with his neck (turn it to the side, jerk it down, or just keeps his head tilted all the time?).

If this is a tic, you have two choices. You certainly can try the meds suggested by his doctor (tenex), but if you don't want to go that route right now, then you may just have to start with the type things we discuss here aimed at eliminating toxins wether from foods or envioronment, and adding some supplements aimed at the same. Basically out with the bad, in with the good. Have you begun anything like this yet? Any supplements or dietary restriction? At least this is an area where you can take matters into your own hands until you have a further understanding on what may be the actual problem here. Is this latest Rheumatologist seeming to know what could be going on?

Faith

Judy

the unfortunate thing is that all of the medications carry the potential of severe side effects

my son and husband tried a number of them and honestly the side effects were worse than the tics :wacko:

here is a good website on all things Tourette, tho they dont have much up to date information on alternative/natural/dietary/supplements etc. This is a link to the medications page

http://www.tourettesyndrome.net/tourette_t...tm#Introduction

I know so little about TOURETTES..

Is there any medication that dose help with the jerking,my Grandson tells me his neck hurts all the time.

He dose have an appointment today with his new ped Doctor.

I feel so helpless.

Judy1270,

Sorry to hear that your grandson's neck tic is causing him pain.

A few suggestions that may help. Epsom bath with the wet towel around the neck, since it is hard to soak the neck. Applied magnesium creme to the neck and surrounding area to alleviate the tic and pain. Accupuncture, chiropractic and craniosacrol can also help with tics & neck pain.

Good luck!

Pat

Judy1270,

Sorry to hear that your grandson's neck tic is causing him pain.

A few suggestions that may help. Epsom bath with the wet towel around the neck, since it is hard to soak the neck. Applied magnesium creme to the neck and surrounding area to alleviate the tic and pain. Accupuncture, chiropractic and craniosacrol can also help with tics & neck pain.

Good luck!

Pat

I hate that neck tic. Eye tic, who cares we live in Florida and when my son is old enough to date he can wear sunglasses.

As for that neck tic, when my son had it-he had it bad and we took him on occassion to chiropractic and did massages at home. He always said it took the pain away.