ACN Latitudes Forums

New tic and just started Bonnies!

I finally ordered Bonnies and started giving them to ds about 2 weeks ago - I started with just 2 a day(1-am and 1 pm) After only 2 days his facial grimacing was gone. Then he went with my husband away for the weekend - I started giving him 3 a day then on Friday. My husband kept up with the pills and enzymes for the weekend and I packed most of his food. When he got home Sun. night he shook head once and I tried not to panic. By Monday he was shaking head all day. Same for Tues and wed. The only thing my husband says he got was a lemonaide out of drink machine. (he misunderstood - I told him he could have Simply Lemonaide!) on Sunday. I would guess it had high fructose corn syrup which he hasn't had in almost a year.

I have not seen this head shake since we changed diet last summer. If it was corn syrup wouldn't the reaction be gone after 3 days? I saw a couple shakes this morning on the way to school. It usually is worse in afternoon. Or could it be the vitamins?! I know some people say it gets worse before better, but do you see old tics like this resurface? I don't know what to do. Do I cut back to 2 a day or cut them out altogether and see if it goes away? Thanks for any advice!

Hi Tom's Mom

try not to panic as there really could have been a number of tic triggers in the new enviroment and just the excitement of being away etc

if he was doing ok initially on the bontech supps I would doubt that is the cause of the tic increase as usually it seems that those who react negatively to the supps do so pretty soon after starting them

maybe just continue for at least another week and see if things level out.

not sure how your son reacts to the epsom baths but that may be a good detox and tic calming solution for now

hope things stabilize quickly

Cheri,

I have been giving the epsom baths- doesn't seem to make a difference in the tics although I think it is calming and good for constipation issues.

I know I should be patient and give this another week, but do you think I should be increasing the bontech vitamins? At 50 lbs. he should be taking 10. I know the tic increase could be caused by lots of things including the heavy pollen. We also have mosquito trucks out spraying at night and I wonder about insecticides he is being exposed to. And of course last weekends infraction, excitement etc.

But do you or anyone find that when on these vitamins they help lessen the reactions to these environmental/food issues? I'm not sure if I should just keep the vitamins at 2-3 a day for now and wait and see or should I be upping them?

Thanks as always for your reassuring advice Cheri.

Mary

Hi there!

Just wanted to tell you to hang in there. My son, Daniel, has been on Bonnie's vitamins for well over a 1 1/2 years. They certainly have helped him a lot along with dietary changes and many other supplements I have him on. Here is a link with all the supplements I have Daniel on http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...p;mode=threaded .

Anyhow, I am just guessing it very well could be Yellow Dye #5 or #6 that triggered the tics in the Lemonade along with the High Fructose Corn Syrup. My son Daniel had some yellow dye last Friday and I am still seeing slight tics. He is WAYYYYYYY better then he would have been a year ago, prior to all the supplements and dietary changes, but the Yellow Dyes seem to be the worse for him and also MSG. I can say no one else, at this point, would even notice these tics but my husband and I but they are there.

When Daniel's tics start up I can give him a very clean diet and all his vitamins and it still takes a solid week to get out of his system after the artificial "overdose" has occurred. So 3 or 4 days is not enough time to completely rid the body from my observations. I think what happens is the dopamine spikes, because of the artificial toxins not being able to cleared out of the body correctly and the dopamine has to come back down and it takes time. I also think what happens is the sulfate ions, which I also discuss in the above post, have to rebuild themselves after an "artificial overdose" and this takes time for the body to rebuild. If they are not functioning correctly then you get a build up of neurotransmitters like dopamine and hence you have this cascade effect and the time needed to heal the body back.

I also am trying to cut back on one of the supplements I have been giving him which is the Acetyl-Cysteine which you can read about in the above post. I have been giving him half the dose for about 1 1/2 weeks and I am realizing I may have to up it again if the tics continue to build.

Anyhow just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thanks for your 2 cents! I don't know what I would do without you all to turn to. I have a couple of questions for you. My son is also 7 and about 50 lbs. I was also thinking of working up to 6 Bontech vitamins a day because he takes the houston enzymes- AFP and zyme pryme 3 times a day. I also am using the mindlix. Would like to add fish oil. Which kind do you use? Was using kids nordic naturals but would like something without added flavor.

I am wondering about your apple cider vinegar supplement. Did you add this and the Acetyl-Cysteine because you were not having success just on the Bonnies and other supplements? I guess my question is how was he doing before you added these supplements verses now.

Also, my son has problems with artificial stuff as well as seasonal pollens I believe. Do you believe the apple cider vinegar would help in his situation with the pollens? His histimine levels should be high I would guess. Right now all I've done is run his air cleaner and saline nasal spray. Funny thing is this year he's not showing the usual signs of allergies. No stuffiness, coughing or wheezing, but the tics have come back. Just wondering what might be helpful during pollen season. Sorry for so many questions and thanks so much for all of your help.

Mary

Mary,

I know when people start on the bontech and they seem to have an increase, the advice bonnie gives is to ride it out or cut back. We don't use these, but I know I've read that bit on this forum somewhere or on her site. Anyway, if it were me, I would stay where you are for at least another week (the two per day) and see what happens. There could also be the chance also that there is something in there that may not agree with him, but you're just going to have to wait it out. If things don't improve in another week or so, then my bet would be that. But if it's his body adjusting to the new supps, again, its a waiting game.

Not to be a troublemaker ^_^, but any possibility that your husband messed up more than he let on? It could be the lemonade, but again, you'll have to wait it out. If he is that sensitive to alot of high fructose corn syrup, then maybe he had more than one? Let us know what happens.

Faith

Tom's mom,

What was the nature of the getaway? amusement park? lake? camping? animals? Knowing as much as possible about the environment will help us with potential triggers. So far all that has been discussed is possible dietary triggers.

Faith,

Now that you have dragged husbands into this, I will offer mine up: I am certain that my son is triggered by light sensitivity. My husband was not so sure. After I explained to him that this would neccesitate upgrading our televisions to plasma, he apparently decided that the boy is so light sensitive that the computer monitors will need to be replaced as well -- even the one in his office!

Lurker,

The getaway was a tennis tournament a couple of hours away and they stayed at my sisters house who lives outside of town in the country. My older son who is 17 has played state and sectional tournaments for years, but this time my baby played in his first big tournament. (he was excited and wanted to play)He played in the 7-8 division. I know that was probably stressful to him to some degree but my husband said he handled it really well and had a great time. Also he got to spend a lot of time playing with his 7 yr old cousin who he loves to be with- she's like his best friend. My daughters and I just stayed home to have some girl time which we have never really done. I felt like I needed a break and he would be ok away from me for one weekend and look what happens?!

Faith,

I agree with you - I will just have to wait this out even though it is so frustrating. Who knows with my husband ^_^ but he says it was only the one lemonaide. My sister also served rotisserie chicken from grocery store first night with vegetables and he ate at the players party second night - chicken fingers and pasta, but dh gave him enzymes before. I sent his breakfast and lunch and snack items. My sister was there to help out - she is very supportive of what I'm doing. She has 14 ds with adhd and has never medicated but is trying some of the dietary things I'm doing. She also says now she realizes her son had tics growing up. He has outgrown them now. I also remember all the "habits" he used to have.

lurker- that's so funny about your husband-mine would love an excuse to upgrade as well!- he's always trying to explain to me why we need a new computer or TV!

Tom's mom,

That environment does seem pretty benign. So far you've got excitement and lemonaid. The only things I can think of to add as slight possibilities are overheating and roadtrips. Overheating is a somewhat common trigger, and several people here have mentioned backseat ticcers.

Tom's Mom,

Rotisserie Chicken from the grocery store has a lot of bad junk in it, from what I recall way back when.

As far as the enzymes-- I noticed myself when I fed ds 'outside' food (fully spiced, marinated, or prepared and with preservatives, etc...) Easter weekend with enzymes (did it three meals in a row, as we were going here and there), that he developed some mild ticcing despite the enzymes. (We have Trienza). I am thinking that the other ingredients in the rotisserie chicken could be the culprit. Check out the label the next time you got shopping. I don't remember what all was in it but I just remember being shocked at the label, and wondering why all that stuff needed to be in it.

Caryn

Carolyn,

Thanks for your 2 cents! I don't know what I would do without you all to turn to. I have a couple of questions for you. My son is also 7 and about 50 lbs. I was also thinking of working up to 6 Bontech vitamins a day because he takes the houston enzymes- AFP and zyme pryme 3 times a day. I also am using the mindlix. Would like to add fish oil. Which kind do you use? Was using kids nordic naturals but would like something without added flavor.

I am wondering about your apple cider vinegar supplement. Did you add this and the Acetyl-Cysteine because you were not having success just on the Bonnies and other supplements? I guess my question is how was he doing before you added these supplements verses now.

Also, my son has problems with artificial stuff as well as seasonal pollens I believe. Do you believe the apple cider vinegar would help in his situation with the pollens? His histimine levels should be high I would guess. Right now all I've done is run his air cleaner and saline nasal spray. Funny thing is this year he's not showing the usual signs of allergies. No stuffiness, coughing or wheezing, but the tics have come back. Just wondering what might be helpful during pollen season. Sorry for so many questions and thanks so much for all of your help.

Mary

Hi again Mary!

Sounds like you are on the right track with getting the supplements in him. We are using the Nordic Naturals Omega 3-6-9 Junior. Prior to him being able to swallow the pills I would use a corn in the cob holder and poke a little hole in the capsule and squeeze it into "Simply Lemonade" brand lemonade. You literally cannot taste it mixed into the lemonade. It would just be a small amount of the lemonade maybe 2 to 3 ounces at most.

Regarding how he was doing prior to adding the Acetyl Cysteine and Apple Cider Vinegar, the answer is he was doing very well as long as he did not have artificial foods in his diet. He could tolerate only very small amounts. My whole goal was to be able to loosen the reins so to speak. I just wanted to let him, for example, go to a birthday party and eat a piece of cake without having tics afterward. I was just wanting to give him the ability to eat some artificial because the reality is there will always be school parties, halloween, Christmas and birthday parties. I was in this wave of continually telling him sorry you cannot have that when everyone else was in a social setting. It is not that he did not understand why he could not, he understands the tic relationship to the foods, but after a while when you are 7 it is hard not having anything special at events.

So back to life prior to the two new supplements. As long as I stuck to a very rigid diet he was doing just fine with the Bonnie's Vitamins, Enzymes, Omega, Glycin, and additional Magnesium Taurate. But again I just wanted to free him up a bit and once I understood what was really going on within his body with the sulfate ions I knew my doctor would have a suggestion of what to do for him and that is when we added the Acetyl Cysteine and Apple Cider Vinegar.

Per my earlier post, I cut back on the Acetyl Cysteine for him just shy of two weeks ago. I cut it the amount in half and am only giving him 600 mg a day (which according to many articles on the Internet is still a high amount) and I am seeing his tics increasing with this cut back. I know for a fact it was working, and seeing that his tics are increasing while I am decreasing the amount shows me it that much more, but I am just wanting to run it by another Naturopathic doctor since I am giving him such high amounts at the 1200 mg a day. It really does seem like an amazing product for all it does it even helps in some cases of cancer in reducing tumors.

From my limited knowledge of apple cider vinegar I think it would help to a point with seasonal pollen. I ran into a woman at Trader Joes grocery store and she told me she has horrible allergies. She said she has taken apple cider vinegar for years and it has seemed to help her. When I was buying more of it the other day for Daniel the sales clerk was rattling off all the amazing things it does for people including helping with digestion. I really cannot see how it could hurt matters for your son it would only help. The problem is it is one more thing to get in him. If he can swallow pills you can try the brand I am using for Daniel because it comes in capsules. It is "Natural Factors Apple Cider Vinegar" brand.

I also wanted to tell you, since it looks like your son is sensitive to yellow dyes, avoid anything with caramel color. You will get a very similar reaction to the yellow dyes. Caramel color is in root beer, ginger ale, a lot of cereals, and I have even seen it in some "all natural products". It is in a lot of different products. Also avoid Red 40 and High Fructose Corn Syrup (Daniel seems to be able to tolerate regular corn syrup but some may not), and all MSG products. Make sure you study the names of the MSG because there are many. Here is a post I did about the various MSG names http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...aded&start= .

If I did not answer your questions all the way, please let me know and I will clarify some more. Have a great weekend!

Carolyn

Tom's Mom,

Rotisserie Chicken from the grocery store has a lot of bad junk in it, from what I recall way back when.

As far as the enzymes-- I noticed myself when I fed ds 'outside' food (fully spiced, marinated, or prepared and with preservatives, etc...) Easter weekend with enzymes (did it three meals in a row, as we were going here and there), that he developed some mild ticcing despite the enzymes. (We have Trienza). I am thinking that the other ingredients in the rotisserie chicken could be the culprit. Check out the label the next time you got shopping. I don't remember what all was in it but I just remember being shocked at the label, and wondering why all that stuff needed to be in it.

Caryn

I had to stop giving Daniel any Rotisserie Chicken from the grocery store because it has MSG in it. It is hidden under one of the various names. I can guarantee you, unless you purchase one from an organic/all natural source, it will have it in it. So avoid these because it will increase tics in those who are sensitive without a doubt.

Carolyn

I was a little worried about the rotisserie chicken- I don't buy it myself anymore.

Caryn, I totally understand about wanting something that would allow your son to have artificial ingredients on occasion. (Please keep us informed with how it goes with the Acetyl-Cysteine) My son was disappointed to miss a b-day party today, but I knew it wasn't worth it to go-I knew he would get depressed about not being able to have what the other kids were having and I just couldn't risk letting him have any junk right now. His tics are getting worse. He is now jutting his neck forward along with the head shaking and the grimacing. He has had a very clean diet this week-the only thing I can think that I've done different this week is epsom salt baths every night. I'm now wondering if it might be making his tics worse- I know someone here before said it made their child's tics worse- not being able to handle the sulfate? So we are skipping the epsom bath tonight to see if that helps. I don't want to give up on Bonnies. I am so hoping they work for him. I am going to keep giving him 2 pills a day for another week and hope and pray things get better.

Thanks for the tip about the caramel color- I had no idea and will be on the lookout for that and will also print out your list of msg names to take with me to the grocery store!

I will also look for the apple cider vinegar supplement at whole foods. My son can swallow pills which is such a blessing - my older kids could not do it until they were much older.

Thanks again,

Mary

Mary,

I'm gonna put in a shout out to "itsme", .....

I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly when they started on the bontech, they had an increase and then it got better? This was a while ago, so maybe if he is reading, he'll weigh in? Can you offer your experience or help with this please?

Thanks

Faith

Mary,

I'm gonna put in a shout out to "itsme", .....

I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly when they started on the bontech, they had an increase and then it got better? This was a while ago, so maybe if he is reading, he'll weigh in? Can you offer your experience or help with this please?

Thanks

Faith

This is a good thread, we have been on Bonnies Since October 07 and have not had a "major" body jerking or head jerking since. He still gets the odd eye blinking and will do some very slight head nodding, but nothing major. He is about 55lbs 9 years old now and we also give him 1/2 Tbs of Calm every night along with 6 Bonnies in the morning and 6 at night.

He has been eating pizza sticks at school, and he is doing a little head nodding right now, but no one except me would notice. He also has a pretty bad cold, it may be causing a little ticcing as well.

We did have him tested for Celiac, since my mom is a severe Celiac, but he did not show positive. We still find he is so much better on a GF diet, at least as most of the time. I read somewhere that even though the child may not show positive at first, he could still be bennefited by being GF. I also read that Wheat and Gluten can cause tics in a lot of people since it seems to affect the neurological part of the brain.

I keep hoping and praying he grows out of them, but at this point it still bugs me way more then him!

P.S Itsme, how is your son doing these days?