ACN Latitudes Forums

Sucess with Supplements

juls

I've been following this board for about three years and have learned a ton but I don't post much. My son started with tics four years ago when he was five. He also has some mild OCD and the tendency to get "stuck" or obsess on the things he loves (currently Webkinz for instance). He can also be a difficult kid to manage at times. Supplements have done wonders for his tics but less for his OCD and mood and sometimes he would get really tired of swallowing so many pills each day. After tweaking and experimenting over time I have him down to this regiment and it has been working extremely well for a period of months now, so I though I would share:

AM Before Food (2 pills)

Sam-E 200 mg

L-Tryptophan w/B-6 500 mg - this has been fabulous for his mood

AM With Food (8 pills)

IP-6 500 mg

Efa Gold Mood Aid w/vit E -500mg EPA Omega 3

Magnesium Taurinate -83mg of Mag and 891 mg of L-Taurine

L Taurine- 850 mg

Acetyl L carnitine- 500 mg

zinc- 50 mg

Vit C -500mg

Vit B complex - various amounts

Vit C 500 mg

PM With Food (3 pills)

IP-6 500 mg

Efa Gold Mood Aid w/vit E -500mg EPA Omega 3

Magnesium Taurinate -83mg of Mag and 891 mg of L-Taurine

PM Bedtime (1 pill)

Melatonin 1 mg

As for diet, we have moved to mostly organic foods and we limit artificial stuff as much as we can, but at this point we are not vigilant. I have played around with GFCF but not had results. I have noticed that his tics are often made worse by chlorine water and swim season is a about to start so we may have a regression (we did last year). Currently however, we have been tic free for months with minimal OCD, and a mild level of fixations. Best of all is the cheerful mood. He is down to 14 pills a day and at one point he was over 20.

When I first began researching I looked at Bonnie's program and was put off at how many pills would need o be swallowed. Instead, I moved slowly adding things a bit at a time until one day I made a direct comparison between what we were doing and Bonnie's plan. I was shocked to see that I was almost replicating her program and my son was now swallowing 20+ pills. We were having a lot of success with tics but needed to focus on mood. My son was also very weary of all the pills. That's when I added the L-Tryptophan and began reducing his load to what I felt were probably the most essential

I may next eliminate the 850 L Taurine and see if that is tolerated and then possibly do the Sam-E and the zinc every other day.

Clearly every child is different, but I wanted to encourage folks to keep plugging away and tweaking to find what works best. I am so grateful that we are where we are right now and I am deeply thankful for the resources of this board.

Juls

CAUTIONS

Supplemental forms of IP-6 have been found to interfere with the body's absorption of minerals. Most experts caution that before deciding to pop an IP-6 supplement, you should first try to incorporate IP-6-rich foods to your diet, which will not significantly interfere with mineral absorption. If you do decide to supplement, do not take IP-6 within one hour of meals.

<a href="http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_2_29/ai_53929992">FindArticles - IP-6: this potent antioxidant can help your body fend off cancer and heart disease - inositol hexaphosphate</a>

<cite>Natural Health, March, 1999, by Angela Pirisi</cite>

Juls,

I was thinking along the lines of myrose, but wasn't sure if you were using IP6 for a specific reason. I have read where some have used IP6 to lower calcium levels. If it's combined with calcium, i believe it is sometimes used for the potential cancer prevention?

Thanks for catching my mistake, you are all correct, I shouldn't be giving the IP-6 with food or with the other supplements! As far as why I am using it, I believe I chose IP-6 after initially using Inositol and reading that IP-6 was the better choice. I made the switch a while ago and I have been looking tonight to find my source, I believe it may have been recommended in one of Dr. Amy Yasko's publications. I was using it primarily for anxiety/OCD but by giving it incorrectly it may be doing unintended harm.

Thanks for catching this mistake.

Juls

Juls,

That is sort of a complicted supplement if you ask me so I can sure see where you would get confused. If you are using it for the cancer prevention, it looks like you should take it with a meal, so it will bind to nutrients and not deplete the body. If you give it away from meals, it looks like it's sometimes used to bring down excess iron, calcium etc. Then it appears that the IP6 and the inositol part are separate elements?

If you do any research on it, it would be great if you post what your findings are.

Here are a couple of sites that I quickly scanned regarding IP6

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/11/3778S

http://www.naturalnews.com/022731.html

IP6 - A Rising Star in the Prevention and Treatment of Cancer

http://www.answers.com/topic/phytic-acid?cat=health

Food science

Phytic acid is found within the hulls of nuts, seeds, and grains.[1] In-home food preparation techniques can reduce the phytic acid in all of these foods. Simply cooking the food will reduce the phytic acid to some degree. More effective methods are soaking in an acid medium, lactic acid fermentation, and sprouting.[2]

Phytic acid is a strong chelator of important minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc and can therefore contribute to mineral deficiencies in people whose diets rely on these foods for their mineral intake such as those in developing countries.[3] In this way, it is an anti-nutrient.[1] For people with a particularly low intake of essential minerals, especially young children and those in developing countries, this effect can be undesirable.

Dietary mineral chelators helps, through reducing the available minerals, to prevent over-mineralization of joints, blood vessels, and other parts of the body, which is most common in older persons.[citation needed] They do not correct the disorder that causes this negative distribution of substances though, and can reduce the availability of these minerals for other essential processes.[citation needed]

and

In addition to being found in plants, IP6 is contained within almost all mammalian cells, where it is important in regulating vital cellular functions such as signal transduction, cell proliferation, and differentiation. IP6 is also available in supplement form.