ACN Latitudes Forums

GF/CF and Feingold?

JennyC

Jenny,

How is Isa eating now? If she is not on a highly gluten-filled diet at the moment it may be easier than you think. If she is eating a large amount of gluten multiple times a day then maybe you could start by simply cutting back and adding a few new foods, one at a time.

I can't speak for everyone here that has gone the dietary route, but for us it was an evolutionary process. We just kept weeding out one reactive thing after another until we 'got to the bottom' of things. It took us five months to get our groove on. Even now I am still learning. You don't want to overwhelm yourself because if you do you will not have the strength to stick to it. Evaluate what you have done so far and try to make reductions and changes where you can until you are comfortable with it. Any effort you make at all will be beneficial if it gets her eating more fruits and veggies and less starchy fillers.

Have you looked into any local area support groups? I just found out that one is starting up in my hometown next month. I am really excited about it. (This one is for kids with multiple food allergies). You may find an autism support group in your area and might possibly meet someone there that is actively doing a GFCF diet and is willing to help you get started. Inquire at the local public school about it. The autism support community is pretty big.

For us Feingold is a cinch now, as is the gluten free thing. Our biggest conundrum is that darn Corn is everywhere. Needless to say I am in the kitchen a lot. Grrr!

Caryn

Caryn

Thanks so much for your reply. Isa is on Feingold and Casein free right now. The school suggested with try Gluten free but I didnt know if it was possible to do that WITH Feingold. My kid is a carb freak so she is eating wheat all of the time.

Jenny,

Start by replacing your sauces and condiments, cereals. This can be done without breaking the bank. You are lucky we are headed into summer and so gravies and soups are 'going out' for the next few months. You can get GF noodles at the local grocer. This might be a good start for Isa if she is a noodle lover. If you have a newer Dominicks near you they are carrying a lot of organic and gluten free items now. You have tried Isa on a GF diet a while back. She didn't seem to miss the bread, you said. What is it that seems so overwhelming for you? Just start small and get your feet wet, then you can gradually eliminate over time until she is completely GF. It can take up to a year to get gluten completely out of a person's system, so there will not be a major change right away in most cases, especially if there is dysbiosis in the gut. But you will see gradual improvement, and if gluten and dairy are really culprits she will stabilize. The best way to do it is to go all the way from the start.

We do not eat a lot of GF replacement products on a daily basis. We eat a lot of salads (I grind up the lettuce leaves and all 3 kids eat it no problem, even my almost 2 year old.) I do not use salad dressing at all. I just chop up fresh fruit instead and squeeze a lemon on it. Sometimes I add maple syrup or honey. You know where my recipes are if you want some ideas, etc. If you need to stick to a budget consider planting a mini garden. I have plants growing all over my kitchen at the moment. I will be moving some to the deck and be planting some in the garden out back. You will save a ton of money, not to mention it is healthier. My kids love fresh beets. Very healthy and easy to grow from seed. So is lettuce. Peas are easy and so are green beans. You can freeze the peas and beans too. Onions are a cinch and so is garlic. We have gone on a two week vacation before and left these veggies to fend for themselves. They survived no problem.

Isa is only 3 so this is the perfect time to try this route. The most success is seen when the kids are younger.

Caryn

Is there anyone who does gluten free, casein free AND feingold?? If so, how ever is that possible??

Over five years with alot of success. Laura's Oats out of Canada is a great way to get oatmeal that is gluten free. I buy a buckwheat that is gluten free but can not think of the company right now. Boer's Head has gluten free/sugar free hot dogs. Boer's head also has a feingold section of deli meats. But I would stick with what you know you have control over like

Plain meat,potatoes,carrots,peas,beans, and greens. All can fill up a lunch and dinner menus. Be careful with the eggs thru for my son did not tested as a reaction to them but with overuse did develop one to them.

Also be careful with the fruit. To much may overfed the yeast in the intestial tract.

We are slowly now placing our son on a rotation diet with latose free milk. But this was after 3 years of chelation and treatments for yeast and fungus overgrowth.