ACN Latitudes Forums

Diet

texas5

I just wanted to know if many of you have noticed a difference in your child tics after making changes to their diet? I have just started with organic foods and elimnating processed foods and red dyes/sugars. I also am using natural detergents/lotions/shampoos. I have also started my son on vitamins, Omega-3 and B-12 all in the hopes of decreasing his tics. I don't want to put him meds but go a more natural route. Let me know if have seen good results from changes in diet and giving vitamins.

Hello Texas, welcome,

That seems to be the consensus around here although its not a one size fits all. I'm sure you have been reading many of the posts to get you started? and it sounds like you are on the right track. Is this where you have found your info? How long have you been doing this and have YOU seen any improvements or benefits? How old is your child and what is the history of tics?

Thanks and good luck,

Faith

When we took casein (milk protein) out of Isa's diet her tics dramatically decreased. We are also on the Feingold diet now where all artificial colorings and flavorings, all chemicals are taking out of her diet and cleaning products, bath products etc. I noticed increased tics in the beginning of that but they say that can happen, they sort of go into withdrawl.

Hello Texas, welcome,

That seems to be the consensus around here although its not a one size fits all. I'm sure you have been reading many of the posts to get you started? and it sounds like you are on the right track. Is this where you have found your info? How long have you been doing this and have YOU seen any improvements or benefits? How old is your child and what is the history of tics?

Thanks and good luck,

Faith

[/quote

I just started this week (Wednes.) changing his diet so I haven't really noticed any improvement yet. I'm reading all kinds of things on this discussion board about eliminating wheat, giving them all these differerent vitamins/enzymes. It's a little overwhelming all the info. Not quite sure which things to try. but I've heard about changing the diet in the past but my doctor (pediatrician) didn't think it would make a difference in his Tics or ADD. I just don't want to give him Concerta or any of these prescribed drugs anymore. I think they do more harm than good but I feel like I have to do something to help him. He was diagnosed with Tourettes/ADD when he was 9 years old and he is now 13 years old. I found this website just browsing on the internet. I'm just like all the other parents who want to help their child and are searching for ways to help him. It's nice to know there are other people out there with the same problems.

Remember doctors dont know everything. I applaud your decision not to put your child on drugs right away, sometimes they are the right decision but I think you are wise to try the dietary approach first, it cant harm him and he may react very well to it and you've avoided putting chemicals into his system. Also, if in the end, you do need to put him on drugs you can have the peace of mind in knowing that you tried everything else first and that it was your last resort.

I just started this week (Wednes.) changing his diet so I haven't really noticed any improvement yet. I'm reading all kinds of things on this discussion board about eliminating wheat, giving them all these differerent vitamins/enzymes. It's a little overwhelming all the info. Not quite sure which things to try. but I've heard about changing the diet in the past but my doctor (pediatrician) didn't think it would make a difference in his Tics or ADD. I just don't want to give him Concerta or any of these prescribed drugs anymore. I think they do more harm than good but I feel like I have to do something to help him. He was diagnosed with Tourettes/ADD when he was 9 years old and he is now 13 years old. I found this website just browsing on the internet. I'm just like all the other parents who want to help their child and are searching for ways to help him. It's nice to know there are other people out there with the same problems.

we did try eliminating wheat/gluten and dairy at one time but it honestly made no difference for my son as he is not allergic/intolerant to those foods

however, removing artificial foods and chemical food additives made an enormous difference for both his tics and OCD and ADD. This includes all preservatives (especially sodium benzoate) MSG, carrageenan, food colorings, artificial sweeteners like nutrasweet/aspartame and splenda/sucralose, high fructose corn syrup and most everything else that appears on packaged/canned/bottled foods that have looooong lists of ingredients with unpronouncable chemical names ^_^

if my son injests any of those we see an explosive waxing of tics and OCD and "fuzzy brain"

we try to eat pure whole organic food

Hi,

I think everyone here was in your boat at one time! Whatever you do, don't quit! Read old threads here and you will find a ton of information!

My 7 year old has had tics for almost a year now. My time lines are now a blur for how long things took! We started by adding magnesium and eliminating artificial colors/flavors and preservatives. This was tough, as this stuff is even in medicine and vitamins!!!! It made a HUGE improvement in his ADHD in the classroom!!!! We then added Magnesium Taurine, Calcium Citrate, B vitamins, Ester C, Flax Seed Oil, multivitamin, GABA, NAC, and aceytl something. I don't quite recall how I determined which ones to add, but it was this website and research. His tics increased when I improved his diet....I wrote into this site and they all told me it looked high in salycilates....I reduced those and it did the trick!!!! The eye tics were the most recent ones to (almost) disappear and that was once I added the NAC, Aceytl -L (?), and GABA.

I tried to start with gluten free, but didn't have enough information to follow through with it...and became overwhelmed by how much food it was in! I then stared with a lot of the Kashi snacks/breakfast foods! It has gotten a lot easier with time...I can spot "all natural" labels from a mile away now......

I hope you find what you are looking for!!!! I know that they say the tic and ADHD medicine can conflict with each other....let alone the side affects!!! Good luck!!!