ACN Latitudes Forums

Extreme Chapped Lips/Mouth

amym

Dear Forum Friends:

My 8 year old has an extremely chapped mouth/lips from mouth stretching and licking tics. I have done aquaphor and vaseline during the day and she takes it to school. At night I sneak in and put neosporin on the outer portion. When I remind her to apply the salve she says "it makes me want to stretch/lick my lips more when you remind me"....

This is really stressful to me as I feel powerless...it breaks my heart for her---ideas?

On a second note, my husband and i are divorcing and the stress level is very high in the family right now...tics are worse, etc.

I appreciate any advice/help.

Thanks so much

I do feel for your situation as it is so hard when tics can be hurtful yet we always have to bear in mond, as your daughter has explained, that when we draw attention to the tic, it DOES seem to trigger it more, so we walk a fine line

I learned that the very hard way ):

maybe try espsom salts tubs in the evenings to promote more restful sleep. my son did go thru a lot of lip related tics

moist chamomille and calendula tea bags are very soothing. I used tp leave a little bowl of them for him to apply himself as needed.

Maybe you could get her a watch with an alarm and set it to go off a few times a day and that can be her reminder to put the salve on her lips? Im not sure if that would help since it would be her watch reminding her and not you, maybe less pressure??

My daughter is constantly picking at the skin in the middle of her top lip, any advice there?

Thanks for the info. It wouldnt suprise me if she had OCD too. We are still trying to work out exactly what is going on with her. We know for a fact she has seizures, tic disorder, vocal tic (raspberries) and sensory issues. Now they are working out if she is on the autism spectrum. Our neuro is useless but the school districts early education intervention is FABULOUS we are very blessed.

I guess if any reminder sets them off then thats a tough situation huh? I guess just give the child the salve and hope when the discomfort sets in it will get used?? Thats a really rough one.

When the chapping around the lips and chin gets really dried up and almost scab-like, she will pick the skin off (OCD)....ya'll are so right, when I remind her to put some ointment on, etc, she just continues...darned if you do, darned if you don't. If i don't keep it coated then it worsens and won't heal, but then she is reminded and the cycle continues....it looks like a huge ring around her mouth---people say to her "did you just drink a chocolate milkshake?"

I feel so sad as i want to protect her and heal her mouth and feel so powerless.

My son had a mouth wiping tic, that made his mouth very red and chapped. I told him when he had the urge to wipe his mouth, just touch or gently wipe the area with one finger, instead of his whole hand. This helped greatly and having him apply something during the day that wouldn't "burn his raw lips" when he put it on. I've also given him chewing gum as a "distraction." It seems that when he's chewing gum, it gives his mouth "something to do" besides wiping his mouth. There's some good natural gums at some health food stores.