ACN Latitudes Forums

If medication worked before, then why diet etc?

I have a question i thought about today. I am in my research mode and trying to make sense of it all once again!

Please help me understand...

When my daughter saw the neurologist for the first time he put her on clonidine. (Before I found these boards)

It was a quick fix for something we had no idea how to handle, much less what it was.

Anyhow she was on clonidine for about 4 months. I took her off because she started to get nightmares which led me to do some research and then I found these boards. (Thanking GOD ever since)

My question is if the diet is the answer or a deficiency of some type (vitamins/minerals) or even toxins in the body,

then why would a high blood pressure medicine work to take the tics away?

Just confused here.....EXTREMELY confused.

Clonidine has some anti-inflammatory properties. I saw a study involving mice. Systemic inflammation can be a result of food intollerance, poor nutrition, infection -- things that can be controlled to some extent by diet and nutrition.

Interesting fact: In the study the inflammation was induced by injection with carrageenan. It is commonly used in dairy products, ice cream, some rice milk. Cheri has mentioned it as a trigger. Poor little mice.

As far as clonidine goes, even if it works, I don't think the possible side effects are worth it. You may trade in some tics and mild OCD for a more serious movement disorder (TD) and psychosis.

Tami

Lurker..NO NO NO Please do not think I was heading back to medication. We stopped that a bit ago and never looked back. I was just curious. I am still trying to figure it all out and everyonce in awhile I think of something that does not make sense...so i come and ask here.

As usual...my question was answered (by you) and now I completely understand why it helped. Thanks so much for the info. I would have tried to research it myself but I am on one of those SYSTEM OVERLOADS at the present time!

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks again for the info

Jas,

Sorry I put your name in front of that paragraph. It wasn't really meant for you. You made it pretty clear that you were never going to medicate. I only tossed that in at the end for anybody else who reads it, maybe even years from now. (I think it saves Cheri time :huh: )

I'll edit.

Tami

Interesting fact: In the study the inflammation was induced by injection with carrageenan. It is commonly used in dairy products, ice cream, some rice milk. Cheri has mentioned it as a trigger. Poor little mice.

As far as clonidine goes, even if it works, I don't think the possible side effects are worth it. You may trade in some tics and mild OCD for a more serious movement disorder (TD) and psychosis.

Tami

couldnt agree more re the clonidine not being worth the risks!! :huh:

It totally appalls me that the known inflammatory effects of carrageenan cause it to be used to induce inflammation in lab mice, while it is being added as a cheap thickener to whipping cream, ice cream and soooo many other foods (and alert! we even found it in some organic stuff!!!! and have called the manufacturers to complain and educate them!)

Hospitals and nursing homes give Boost and Ensure and yep, carrageenan in them too