ACN Latitudes Forums

confused with essential fatty acids

Guest Al

I'm an adult with ADHD and have read that essential fatty acids and fish oil are good for it. But then I read that sometimes it makes things worse. What's the story on this. Has anyone else had success with it? thanks for your help. Al.

Al--it's best to go to a doctor and get the levels tested. Some people get better with Omega 3's (the fish oil you mentioned)--and some people get worse because they needed Omega 6 more at the time. So that's the main advice. And yes, essential fatty acids have helped many people including some with ADHD. There are several different sources. Sheila

• 1 month later...
Guest Jed Shlackman

It's true that the balance between Omega-3 and Omega-6 EFAs is important (the 3 and 6 are just references to the molecular structure of the types of fatty acids). Most people need more of Omega-3, but some people are imbalanced in the other direction or pretty deficient in both. Processed and hydrogenated oils can interfere with the metabolism of the essential fatty acids, by the way. I personally have been a user of blue-green algae supplements for many years, which have a balanced natural and easy to digest source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 EFAs, as well as balanced amino acids and lots of vitamin and mineral content. I've never had any problem with ADD/ADHD myself, but have found that the algae greatly enhances my immune system, and also seems to be helpful in coping with stress and maintaining mental clarity and alertness at a very high level of functioning. As for focus factor, it has some useful ingredients, but also has some potentially disruptive ingredients, so you have to know what you need and what you are sensitive to.

-Jed Shlackman, LMHC, C.Ht.

• 1 year later...
Al--it's best to go to a doctor and get the levels tested. Some people get better with Omega 3's (the fish oil you mentioned)--and some people get worse because they needed Omega 6 more at the time. So that's the main advice. And yes, essential fatty acids have helped many people including some with ADHD. There are several different sources. Sheila

1144[/snapback]

Is there a good way to find a doctor that could test for these kinds of things? Susanmom

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Essential Balance :

For thousands of years, the human diet evolved on a natural selection of foods that provided an equal 1:1 ratio of essential fatty acids (EFAs). Modern agriculture, harmful refined oils and hydrogenation have since destroyed this health balance. EB Capsules offer the same ideal 1:1 ratio as Essential Balance in a convenient capsule. This unique organic blend of 3 unrefined oils and flax lignans offers a return to the balance, as well as other physiological benefits. EB Capsules are made from unrefined oils low temperature pressed without light and oxygen using the omegaflo process. To protect its fresh pressed flavor and nutritional value, this blend is encapsulated then bottled in an opaque container.

Essential Balance® unique organic blend of 3 unrefined oils and flax lignans offers an ideal balance of a 1:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 Fatty Acids (EFAs), as well as additional physiological benefits. This 1:1 ratio is necessary for good health. Essential Balance® is low-temperature pressed without light or oxygen using a unique process. To protect its fresh pressed flavor and nutritional value, this oil is bottled in a non-reactive opaque container flushed with inert gas.

Wheat-free and gluten free. Use with freezies, ice cream, in juices, blender drinks, shakes or smoothies. Add to puddings, hot cereal, applesauce after cooking, or over pancakes and waffles. Essential Balance Jr. by Omega Nutrition contains approximately 2:1 essential fatty acid (EFA) ratio (omega-3 to omega-6), considered ideal for growing minds and bodies. Since over 60% of our brain is made up of fat, EFAs are needed to function at our best. 100% unrefined and omegaflo processed to keep EFA content intact. This organic 3 oil blend plus lignans is combined with natural butterscotch flavoring to create a subtly sweet taste.

For Essential Balance Products :

Essential Balance

Essential Balance Oil

Essential Balance Jr.

Health Articles