ACN Latitudes Forums

Varicella

kim

Continued from discussion here

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...=3251&st=15

Shingles and chickenpox (Varicella-zoster virus)

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what...es_000082_5.htm

DY REVEALS IMPORTANT SIDE EFFECT OF MASS VARICELLA VACCINATION OF HEALTHY CHILDREN: Reduction in chickenpox may increase incidence of shingles.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/10/prweb83848.php

http://depts.washington.edu/hhpccweb/artic...&ClinicID=1

Who should get the blood test for Varicella titer?

Persons who know they have never had varicella should get the 2 doses of varicella vaccine. Persons who may have had varicella may have a varicella titer done along with the first dose of vaccine. If the varicella titer is positive they would not need a second dose.

How much does the blood test varicella titer cost?

The lab cost at Hall Health Primary Care Center lab is $70.00. *wonder if the Health Dept would do this cheaper than reg. Dr.? I saw one site that had a price of $14.00.

http://www.who.int/vaccines/en/varicella.shtml

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting stuff Kim!

Not sure if I have noted this before but my son did *not* have any varicella vaccination as he and his brother both had fullblown chickenpox in 1992, a year before his eye blinking/rolling started

I had chickenpox as a child, and had also had shingles in 1996, which thankfully did not spread to my family and thankfully also appears to have remained dormant since that initial outbreak (buccal mucosa)

the doc I saw at the time recommended L-lysine which inhibits the herpes virus

Cheri,

What really burns me about this is ALL of us that had wild chicken pox are going to be at increased risk for shingles now. We needed to run into it in our environment to keep getting those boosters, so now what? If I get my boys the 2nd dose (and who knows how long immunity from that one will last), they are still going to be at increased risk for shingles. Another thing to worry about.

I also notice where one of these articles said Mom's natural immunity protected their babies during the first year (like natural measles) so how is that going to work. If you have a bunch of vaxed Mom's who aren't going to pass on that immunity, do you see where it is going to be essential that all kids keep getting vaccinated? New borns would be at risk. They can't vax new borns for somethings as they won't respond with antibodies until a certain point (age). That's why this is all such a mess. If I'm sitting at the CDC and parents are getting afraid of vacciations, I'm going to KNOW the deaths that are going to result, if there's a panic. So, I guess they are choosing to add more and more, and force it legally if need be. It's scarey stuff.

My daughter did have the shot for chicken pox. I was just thinking about this yesterday I had a blood test when I was pregnant with my son because I really never new if I had the chicken pox.

I had only one chicken pox(mark) ,and it went away and my mom sent me to school the next day. I remember the teacher sent me down to the nurse and they said I could stay. When I was preganant it left me wondering did I really have it and the blood test showed I did.

I remember when all my daughters friends got the chicken pox , she was around them all. She had the shot and I wished I never let her get it. I knew this was going to haunt me one day.

When I was pregnant and got the blood test the insurance co did not pay for it it was a $160.

I think the insurance company should pick this up because these kids should not of had these shots. I'm so mad. Just venting. Maryann

So, what is the answer here? I read all the articles and I have a few questions. Are they saying that we have to STAY immunized with the varicella vaccine forever to prevent outbreaks of shingles, etc. Or are they saying that no matter what we're all at risk(as a society) of outbreaks of shingles?

A lot of this stuff seems over my head sometimes as I try to put the pieces together.

Ds had his 1st varicella vaccine at age 1. I had pox when I was 16. My sister never had the pox b/c she had leukemia(ALL) as a child and was treated with a varicella vaccine that was only being used for cancer patients back in the 80's. You know, the more I read about all this vaccine crap(am I allowed to say this word?), the more angry I become at the government, my pediatrician, and even myself for believing all of them to begin with! What was I thinking?

ilovedogs,

I think the hope was/is that they can vax to the point where the titers will stay elevated for long enough to attain about the same level of protection that the wild caught would have afforded (boy do I sound stuffy!) Some people will get shingles with the wild caught too, but this way, it almost has to be way more if you ask me.

The whole program DOES NOT MAKE SENSE to me either, unless I'm one of the people who will profit hugely if I can make people think that this is a good thing.

We could walk through almost each vax and look at similar issues that make you go "WHAT?"

Hi bmom -

My family chose not to vaccinate!!! The best thing to do is start with your state laws!! know your rights!! States will usually have 1 to 3 of the following rights not to vaccinate

* Religious

* medical

* philisophical

I know in the state we live in all we have to do is go online and fill out the vaccination exemption form and send it in to the state. In other states schools will have the exemption form behind the counter and all you have to do is sign it.

Be warned though....many people who work at the schools are ignorant to their own laws......they aren't even aware of the exemption form because they want to make sure you vaccinate. Don't let them intimidate you, that's why you should know your rights so they don't try to bully you and use scare tactics. They will probably give you dirty looks and make you feel like an unfit parent but just know in your heart you are doing what is best for your child and that isn't any of their business. You don't have to explain yourself or defend your decisions.

I would google vaccine exemption form and the name of your state. You could also check out www.thinktwice.com or 909shot.com and they might have links to your state.

I have never regretted not vaccinating!!! My son is soooo healthy with a strong immune system....he was actually around a child who was vaccinated for the measels and she ended up getting the measles (hmmm, how effective was that?), he was around her during that time......and he never got it!!!!

Good luck to you!!!

Mom2a,

Did your state exemption form have language in it about acknowledging that you are putting others at risk by excercising your choice not to vaccinate?

My kids vax records were only checked in 6th grade. We were current. I thought my youngest son was due for that 6th Tdap, but we were just under the wire. My oldest son's record was not checked in 9th grade. As soon as they make the 2nd varicella manditory (or HPV or whatever is next), they will be flagged and I'll be dealing with the exemption issue. I am not happy with the language in the form that can be printed from the state web site.

One suggestion. If you sign a waiver at the Ped/reg. Dr. office, scratch out that language (about putting others at risk) initial and have someone in the office initial too. This is not for the state, it's for the Dr.s records for proof that they made you aware of which vaccines your child is due for. I doubt that they will give you a problem, if they don't throw you out of the practice for declining a vax in the first place, that is.

I do want to add here too, that I am not suggesting that anyone get or not get any particular vaccination. Just urging everyone to make the best choice you can with all of the info that you can gather.

This may sound like a dumb question, is there any reason that these vaccinations have to be done at certain ages? Lets say I dont vaccinate but decide in the teenage years that they need to be done? Could it be done then and be effective? I just am trying to wait until I figure stuff out and my children's immune systems get stronger. Would it be too late then? Why does this all have to be done in the early years?

I live in Virginia and we only have medical and religious exemptions. I did the religious exemption for my youngest three children and had to have it notarized (at library). Two of my children that are in school recently had pertussis and I held my breath waiting for major fall out b/c they were not vaccinated. Not one person said anything to me about them not being vaccinated. You can do a religious exemption (if your state has one) no matter what religion you practice. Good luck.

Colleen

Colleen,

I live in Va as well, I'm a Catholic and I did go to our Priest and he said if I did religous he was afraid their would be many a Catholics in the county schools that would question me for that, as the catholic faith does not have a problem with vaccines.

Wouldn't it be a better bet for us as we have a dx of TS from a Dr. who dx on the family history of TS. Should I go after the neuro. disorder (family history)

What religion did you put down, and did you need a pastors letter?

C.P.

Continued from discussion here

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...=3251&st=15

Shingles and chickenpox (Varicella-zoster virus)

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what...es_000082_5.htm

DY REVEALS IMPORTANT SIDE EFFECT OF MASS VARICELLA VACCINATION OF HEALTHY CHILDREN: Reduction in chickenpox may increase incidence of shingles.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/10/prweb83848.php

http://depts.washington.edu/hhpccweb/artic...&ClinicID=1

Who should get the blood test for Varicella titer?

Persons who know they have never had varicella should get the 2 doses of varicella vaccine. Persons who may have had varicella may have a varicella titer done along with the first dose of vaccine. If the varicella titer is positive they would not need a second dose.

How much does the blood test varicella titer cost?

The lab cost at Hall Health Primary Care Center lab is $70.00. *wonder if the Health Dept would do this cheaper than reg. Dr.? I saw one site that had a price of $14.00.

http://www.who.int/vaccines/en/varicella.shtml

CP,

I am Catholic also, but the form I filled out did not have a place to specify relgion. If you can get a medical exemption, that would probably be best, BUT you have the right to a religious exemption and you do not have to justify it to anyone. Here is a link that explains it.

Colleen

http://www.vaclib.org/legal/yourrights.htm