ACN Latitudes Forums

Tic is now different

Nan

Hi all,

My daughter's tics started with rapid eye blinking 2 months ago . Then it was more like a wink or a twitch. Now, the twitch has become more pronounced; it is not rapid anymore, it is a deeper closing of the eyes with a little bit of nose scrunching.

She is on Natural calm currently. What can I add to next for these eye tics ? I am expecting to hear from her environmental physician about her allergy test the coming week.

We are ripping out carpet and putting wood in 2 rooms in our house ; not sure if they are having an effect on her.

She is also getting permanent teeth and her baby teeth are falling one after the other. Could this affect tics in any way ?

Thanks a lot for all your help. All of you ladies (and gentlemen) here are one of the most selfless people that I have ever come across; donating your time to answer so many of our questions and concerns. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

-Nan

Nan,

Have you changed her diet? I am trying to go back and read your old posts. This is exactly how my son's tics started. Eye blinks, harder eye blinks, then nose wrinkling, then head jerks. Diet changes chaned all of these. They are much less lately.

Hi Nan

lots of potential tic triggers there................ :huh:

toothy things have always been a major tic trigger for my son and we have a number of anecdotal reports here from others who have found the same for their kids. Even before we knew my son had TS, we always knew when he had teeth coming out or in as his whole system would react

ripping up carpets.........could be causuing allergens in the air...dustmite, mold, etc

the wood you are laying, if treated with arsenic, formaldehyde etc may also be triggering

best to use a hepa filter to eliminate as much of the airborne allergens as possible

hope things settle soon

Cheri,

You have mentioned teething tics before. Could you indulge me? I am working on a theory here. I have read about premonitory urges, the sensation or feeling somewhere that makes one tic in a certain place. I have heard the clearcut sensation-urge thing develops around the age of 10 and that younger kids can't really distinguish an urge.

Anyway, I'm thinking it is sort of a chicken-egg thing. I have noticed with my son, he will develop an eye tic if he has been watching too much tv/too tired; develop a throat clearing tic in concert with a sore throat/cold; and most recently, he developed a neck tic when his lymph nodes became swollen. I got the swollen node (only one side for me) too, and noticed it created quite a bit of sensation (dull pain on movement/sensitivity) in my neck. It is like his tics emit from his stress points. Sometimes, I feel like I am plugging leaks in a sinking boat when I am addressing his tic triggers. If I put my finger in one hole, water just squirts out someplace else.

Here's my question, can you recall the specific tics your son had when teething? Were they mouth, jaw, head tics? Or unrelated to the affected area?

Thanks,

Tami

Hi Tami

as my son's tics and OCDs frequently interact with one another, I have seen tics related to specific areas as you mention, but I do feel this is more related to this link between his TS and OCD

but I really can say I have noticed a finite correlation with tooth issues and any specific tics, rather just a general waxing of tics and distinctive digestive changes when he has things going on with his teeth

Hi Cheri,

Thank you for your response. As a first step, I will get the hepa filter today and put it in her room.

Thanks,

Nan

Hi Nan

lots of potential tic triggers there................ :huh:

toothy things have always been a major tic trigger for my son and we have a number of anecdotal reports here from others who have found the same for their kids. Even before we knew my son had TS, we always knew when he had teeth coming out or in as his whole system would react

ripping up carpets.........could be causuing allergens in the air...dustmite, mold, etc

the wood you are laying, if treated with arsenic, formaldehyde etc may also be triggering

best to use a hepa filter to eliminate as much of the airborne allergens as possible

hope things settle soon

Tami,

yes, I think I mentioned right now my son is doing a head/neck movement. All I can say is that about 10 days ago (march 17) we had a follow up visit with our neuro and upon examining him a little, she commented that his glands felt "a little" swollen, and that maybe he had something recently and was fighting it. I am not aware of him being sick except for a stuffy nose about a week before that. So maybe this ties into what you are saying, perhaps my guy did start that tic because of this gland thing? Don't know, but I have asked him if anything hurts, and he always says no. :huh: (He hasn't had this tic in over a year, and this was the one that seemed to resolve right after having the Alcat Igg test and removing the offending foods, mainly corn/yeast/flax oil).

Also, I think Patty may have some input about the neck/neck pain thingy if she reads this, for I think she was trying to figure that chicken/egg thing once too.

Faith

This line of observation has got me thinking ..... My son had not ticced for 3 months and started with a mild tic after have bronchittis and a deep throat cough. The tic was one where he would open his mouth and cover it (started with one hand, then went to one hand followed by the other) like he was going to cough. It had more of an OCD feel than the tics I saw before, and he only did it when he got excited. The hand gesture lasted about a month then went away.

He also will cough and throat clear a lot after he has been congested. So, we've been unable to tell if this is a tic or a real cough. Right now, he is wiping his mouth with his sleeve - which started after his last running nose (he was wiping the nose with sleeve).

Nan- Good luck with your search. We too started with some eye blinking, which turned to facial grimaces, and then some head bobbing. Diet modifications have helped my son tremendously (we currently restrict casein, gluten and now corn). We also went Feingold and eliminated anything with corn syrup (in hindsight- this may have really helped more than I realized b/c we just discovered that my son has issues with corn). We also use magnesium/calcium supps and recently have started some homeopath treatments. We also use hepa filters for air quality and epsom salt baths in the evening to relax him.

Now, my son's tics are extremely mild. They are not noticable and don't seem to get in his way.

This website is full of great information and support. We would not be where we are without this site ...... good luck!

My son had a sore throat on March 10 I took him to the Dr. No strep, she thought it was a cold. So I'm still confused on his head/eye tics. He was very quiet on the baseball field this weekend, but I did see his head nod foreward real hard sometimes. Last night was opening day for his fav. baseball team and he was real excited. I just can't figure out what is causing the change.

So many cool things going on in his life, some stress too, Confirmation in 3 weeks.

C.P.

Hi all,

My daughter's tics started with rapid eye blinking 2 months ago . Then it was more like a wink or a twitch. Now, the twitch has become more pronounced; it is not rapid anymore, it is a deeper closing of the eyes with a little bit of nose scrunching.

She is on Natural calm currently. What can I add to next for these eye tics ? I am expecting to hear from her environmental physician about her allergy test the coming week.

We are ripping out carpet and putting wood in 2 rooms in our house ; not sure if they are having an effect on her.

She is also getting permanent teeth and her baby teeth are falling one after the other. Could this affect tics in any way ?

Thanks a lot for all your help. All of you ladies (and gentlemen) here are one of the most selfless people that I have ever come across; donating your time to answer so many of our questions and concerns. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

-Nan

Nan

New tooth act as a trigger to Tics. Like Chemar said i have seen that too with my kid. Riping out carpet is good idea i did that to whole house couple of years back for allergies and found it very useful. Regarding filters don't buy Ionic ones as buy the hepa or something like that.

As of diet i have seen corn / sugar ( candies / lays chips ) as culprit .

I forgot to add this is for PANDAS parents . I bought strep test kit few months back and it is really easy to use and pretty effective in finding out if someone had cold , sore throat or strep. As key to PANDAS is catching strep as early as possible. I use it in my family in case some gets sick.

http://www.cliawaived.com/web/Strep_A_Test.htm