ACN Latitudes Forums

tourette syndrome

Colleenrn,

You touched on something that nags at me. My boys have each had one dose of varicella.

I have posted about this before. I do worry about the boys getting the real thing now at ages of 11 and 15 or even older.

They know that some children are developing shingles after 1 immunization. If these kids are not being exposed to the wild form of varicella as it's being wiped out by immunization and they are not being routinely "boosted" and keeping levels of antibodies up, they may end up with shingles. I believe that is part of the reason for the 2nd immunization recommendation. They are afraid it's going to affect the older population too. They KNEW this and they did it anyway. Then they developed the shingles vaccine. But the Dr.s don't want to stock this vaccine which requires refrigeration, is expensive and so far they aren't moving a lot of it. It will take a while longer I suspect, before some of our older population (some with cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc.) will develope shingles and serious concequences before the shingles vax gets real popular. Another monster created.

I suspect you know this, but many readers here may not. Many people ignorant on the topic of immunization (as I surely once was!) that are critical of people who question a parents decision not to vaccinate, don't either. http://www.vaccinationnews.com/DailyNews/M...rShingElder.htm

Everyone is afraid to discuss this, as there can and i believe will be serious fall out from a mass reduction in vaccination rates. Most of these diseases were meant to be contracted in childhood. Also, I worry about reactions in our children, as we really don't know how wild caught infections affect them either.

Could you tell us if your daughter showed any increase in neurological symptoms with the shingles outbreak?

Faith,

Pertussis (whooping cough) usually starts with a cold, sneezing, mild cough, then within 1-2 weeks the cough worsens. None of my children got the "typical"whooping sound. It started with my 7 yr. old and I took him in the early stages to be tested after the school nurse said they had one confirmed case. The nurse practioner I took him to is very respectful of a parent's right to decide about vaccines and was not negative towards us in any way. She tested him b/c I insisted as she did not believe he had pertussis b/c the cough had not worsened at that point. B/c we tested him so early, we began antibiotics with myself and my other children before they had symptoms, so the course of the illness was less serious and shorter.

Colleen

Kim,

My daughter shows and increase in neuro symptoms with any illness, but I remember thinking that she did not have a big increase in neuro symptoms, maybe just slightly increased. When my sons contract chicken pox I am nervous that with her "messed up" immune system, she could have a reoccurence of shingles.

Colleen

Colleen,

It's been a while since I was really looking at all of this, but my impression is that it is important to have that passive exposure to keep the shingles at bay.

I'm trying to think how it would work, if the antibodies are very low. I know the shingles vax is just a high dose of varicella. I'll see if i can find something on it

I think Judy has a terribly important thread here and I think we have gotten off topic.

If her grandson had strep at the time he had the awful reaction to the vaccine that was given in error, that could be a very important point. I get the impression that it is not clearly known, but Judy strongly suspects that he was ill at the time, with evidence of at least a low grade fever documented.

I hope Judy returns to her thread!

I will post some varicella articles on another thread.