ACN Latitudes Forums

Why do antibiotics relieve symptoms?

evie

After two months of trying to find the right antibiotic to help my son, I am just trying to understand why antibiotics relieve the symptoms in PANDAS kids.

I haven't come across anything online explaining the science behind why it works. Is it some sort of medical mystery, or there some kind of explanation?

Anyone?

Thanks,

Evie

From what I understand, the antibiotics SOMETIMES modulate the immune system by supressing it and kinda taking things over and keeping the antibodies from attacking the brain. I did find somewhere an article that talked about that..even mentioning how antibiotics also work on a certain brain protein thus reducing symptoms...I can't find it again! Ugh!

Kelly

Thanks Kelly. If you do come across the article - please post. I am trying to figure out which antibiotic will help my son, after trying 5 different ones already. I figured that if I understood WHY it worked, it may help me (or my pediatrician) make a more informed decision as far as which one to try next.

I may end up giving him a steroid burst out of desperation, but I'd rather avoid that - if possible.

--Evie.