ACN Latitudes Forums

Any experience with chiropractor?

Hi all,

As you may know, my son (5.5 yrs old) has been ticcing everyday since last April. PANDAS dx is still up in the air as he was + for strep via blood work when his tics began but did not get any worse last fall when he again tested + for strep. I have done all of the testing (blood, hair, stool, saliva, urine), tried numerous supplements, made adjustments to his diet including Feingold, cut-out screens, give him Epsom salt baths, and still have not been able to make any conclusions regarding triggers. It has been very frustrating. We have had many good days, but he has still continued to tic, both vocal and motor on a daily basis.

I have been taking him to my chiropractor for the past 3 weeks and for the first time in nearly a year, my son has had one whole week (almost 2 weeks, actually) of nearly tic-free days (95% improvement, in my opinion). I stopped all supplements around the time of his first visit because 1) I felt like they weren't helping (maybe even making him worse), and 2) I wanted to know if the chiro was helping vs the effects of the suppplements. He has been 3 times and we have seen SUCH an improvement in his tics as well as his ability to focus and do his schoolwork. Prior to the first visit, he was unable to watch TV or do video games as the screens triggered the tics tremendously. Now, he is able to watch an entire movie with very minimal tics- definitely nothing that would bother others around him.

I don't know if this is just a coincidence in timing (maybe he is just having a natural waning period?), but I am praying that this is something that may help him control the tics long-term. **An interesting side note, my son's tics began last April after a fall on the tile floor at the beach condo. He landed on his forehead and immediately had a goose-egg. We took him to the ER a week later for a CT scan to see if it could have anything to do with the tics. The CT scan came back normal, so no help there. Recently, however, when I did a google search on chiropractor + tics, I read a report of a little boy that hit his head, began to have tics, and found relief from chiropractoric visits. I KNOW we are not "out of the woods" as my son still has some tics that I notice, however, I think this may have helped to alleviate the severity of tics that he has been experiencing for the past year. We are also planning on trying accupuncture and/or accupressure in the coming months, but I am nervous about how he will do given his young age. (By the way, I don't think the fall *caused* the tics. I think my son has always had a few minor tics in the past, and I think he will always struggle with them, but the past year has been so EXTREME and INTENSE; I am so thankful for even a minor break from them. I think the fall, the strep, his sensitivities to dairy, a poor diet, as well as his genetics just sent his little 4 yr old body into over-drive.)

Anyway, I just wanted to let anyone who is considering visiting their chiropractor know that it seems to have given my son some relief. It may be temporary, I don't know, but the past week and a half have been wonderful! (Knocking on wood!!)

tlk

Don't stop taking him! It really does help ALOT!!! If you search on the net you can find many articles etc, regarding this.

Sorry I don't have time to get into our experience further but my computer line is STILL having troubles so I am on a small lap top and it takes me 20 minutes to type a sentence...

Stay with it! His improvement will last!

hi

so glad you are also finding benefit from chiropractic

my son goes weekly. not only does it help realign those parts that the tics can put out, but it also seems to help the tics themselves

real important tho to have a chiro who is gentle in their techniques, and we prefer NUCCA certified

tlkinser,

I am glad to hear that your son is finding relief thru chiropractic. My son had chiropractic for about 8 mos. and i did see some improvement. Also, it helped with his coordination, as he has some sensory issues. We had to stopped becuz my son had a neck pain i believe is the result of chiropractiic that would cause him to tic. Whereas in the past, the neck tic causes the neck pain. I don't want to scare you, but this was my son's experience.

So i move on from chiropractic to craniosacral therapy and it has helped alot for my son's neck pain & tics. I would suggest you try this before acunpuncture because it is the least invasive modality. My son tried acunpuncture and he became fearful of the needles.

Good luck!

Pat

Hi all,

As you may know, my son (5.5 yrs old) has been ticcing everyday since last April. PANDAS dx is still up in the air as he was + for strep via blood work when his tics began but did not get any worse last fall when he again tested + for strep. I have done all of the testing (blood, hair, stool, saliva, urine), tried numerous supplements, made adjustments to his diet including Feingold, cut-out screens, give him Epsom salt baths, and still have not been able to make any conclusions regarding triggers. It has been very frustrating. We have had many good days, but he has still continued to tic, both vocal and motor on a daily basis.

I have been taking him to my chiropractor for the past 3 weeks and for the first time in nearly a year, my son has had one whole week (almost 2 weeks, actually) of nearly tic-free days (95% improvement, in my opinion). I stopped all supplements around the time of his first visit because 1) I felt like they weren't helping (maybe even making him worse), and 2) I wanted to know if the chiro was helping vs the effects of the suppplements. He has been 3 times and we have seen SUCH an improvement in his tics as well as his ability to focus and do his schoolwork. Prior to the first visit, he was unable to watch TV or do video games as the screens triggered the tics tremendously. Now, he is able to watch an entire movie with very minimal tics- definitely nothing that would bother others around him.

I don't know if this is just a coincidence in timing (maybe he is just having a natural waning period?), but I am praying that this is something that may help him control the tics long-term. **An interesting side note, my son's tics began last April after a fall on the tile floor at the beach condo. He landed on his forehead and immediately had a goose-egg. We took him to the ER a week later for a CT scan to see if it could have anything to do with the tics. The CT scan came back normal, so no help there. Recently, however, when I did a google search on chiropractor + tics, I read a report of a little boy that hit his head, began to have tics, and found relief from chiropractoric visits. I KNOW we are not "out of the woods" as my son still has some tics that I notice, however, I think this may have helped to alleviate the severity of tics that he has been experiencing for the past year. We are also planning on trying accupuncture and/or accupressure in the coming months, but I am nervous about how he will do given his young age. (By the way, I don't think the fall *caused* the tics. I think my son has always had a few minor tics in the past, and I think he will always struggle with them, but the past year has been so EXTREME and INTENSE; I am so thankful for even a minor break from them. I think the fall, the strep, his sensitivities to dairy, a poor diet, as well as his genetics just sent his little 4 yr old body into over-drive.)

Anyway, I just wanted to let anyone who is considering visiting their chiropractor know that it seems to have given my son some relief. It may be temporary, I don't know, but the past week and a half have been wonderful! (Knocking on wood!!)

tlk

Hi tlkinser and everybody

I have just recently started posting regarding my 9 year old son who started his "tics" both vocal and motor about three weeks ago. As explained he had a bad cold on the run up. We have changed his diet and started omega 3 fish oils. Seen no real improvement so far, however I suppose early days. HOWEVER, your post got me thinking, If I had to pin the day my son started the tics it was on a saturday night, funnily enough he was at a friends party during the day. They went to a play gym. I asked him the other day if anything happened, he said that he had a great time EXCEPT he bumped his head three times which was really sore! Now could there be a connection, I have an other appointment with docs, will mention this. However might give the chiropractor a go also. Can I ask if you have time to reply, is there any specific "thing" that the chiropractor does?

P.S THIS SITE IS A GODSEND AS IT GIVES HOPE!

Thanks and god bless

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

I don't think there is anything specific that my chiropractor does for my son regarding his tics. I think the therapy he is giving my son is the same therapy anyone else would receive. He examined him on the first visit and felt some places along his back and neck that were out of alignment (?? I guess that's what you'd call it.) I had already discussed my son's issues with him during my own chiropractic adjustments when my son was not with me. I brought all of the medical testing results (pediatrician, neurologists and environmental physician) and had many conversations with him regarding my son's tics and the treatments we were pursuing, so we are on the same page with everything.

During the three visits that my son has had, he starts out by lying face down on the table. His back is adjusted just as mine is. He then adjusts my son's neck and tells him there is "popcorn" in there so he doesn't get scared when he hears the popping/cracking noises. On the first visit, he also picked my son up and did some kind of adjustment, but he didn't do that on the 2nd or 3rd visit. I will ask him for more details during our visit this week and let you know what I find out.

I also wanted to add that our environmental physician promoted seeing a chiropractor; he said that if the spine or core is out of alignment, the entire body can be affected. As I said in my earlier post, I don't think this is THE CURE for my son, but I think it may be one of the pieces that I have been looking for. I hope others can benefit as well. :blink:

Hi Nicola,

I don't think there is anything specific that my chiropractor does for my son regarding his tics. I think the therapy he is giving my son is the same therapy anyone else would receive. He examined him on the first visit and felt some places along his back and neck that were out of alignment (?? I guess that's what you'd call it.) I had already discussed my son's issues with him during my own chiropractic adjustments when my son was not with me. I brought all of the medical testing results (pediatrician, neurologists and environmental physician) and had many conversations with him regarding my son's tics and the treatments we were pursuing, so we are on the same page with everything.

During the three visits that my son has had, he starts out by lying face down on the table. His back is adjusted just as mine is. He then adjusts my son's neck and tells him there is "popcorn" in there so he doesn't get scared when he hears the popping/cracking noises. On the first visit, he also picked my son up and did some kind of adjustment, but he didn't do that on the 2nd or 3rd visit. I will ask him for more details during our visit this week and let you know what I find out.

I also wanted to add that our environmental physician promoted seeing a chiropractor; he said that if the spine or core is out of alignment, the entire body can be affected. As I said in my earlier post, I don't think this is THE CURE for my son, but I think it may be one of the pieces that I have been looking for. I hope others can benefit as well. :P

Hi Nicola,

I also wanted to add that our environmental physician promoted seeing a chiropractor; he said that if the spine or core is out of alignment, the entire body can be affected. As I said in my earlier post, I don't think this is THE CURE for my son, but I think it may be one of the pieces that I have been looking for. I hope others can benefit as well. :P

Thank you very much - will do dome investigating to get a good one. Thanks again