ACN Latitudes Forums

Very encouraging Results with these Supplements

ilovedogs,

Yes it was Dr. Profrock! Thank you also for the information regarding the NAC and the Apple Cider Vinegar. Can you explain to me what the "Mother" means. I am unfamiliar with this?

We were just at a Major League Spring Training game up in your area of the "woods" today (as if we have woods in the Phoenix area)! We were at the Peoria Spring Training Center! Hope you have had a chance to go because it was beautiful weather to be out and enjoying a game.

Carolyn

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carolyn N.

I have to share something very quickly. When Daniel was born we had him circumcised. He was only a day old. He wouldn't stop crying, after the circumcision, so I asked the doctor to give him, guess what, Tylenol. She said they really don't like giving this to babies until after 2 months old but she agreed. I am sure she agreed just to pacify me. Well at the same time he was given this Tylenol he was also dealing with jaundice. So here he had two major blows against his sulfation system in his first few days of life. I just have to wonder what would have happened if he never had been given that dose of Tylenol? Perhaps his sulfation system would be better if he had never been given the Tylenol. I obviously have know idea but it is interesting that Tylenol is so hard on the system and here he had it at such critical time of life.

Have to ask you if your son was given the birth dose of Hep B during this time also.

Wanted to say that I missed you! As I have been doing tons and tons of research on this gene thing (oldest sons bony growth) and sulfur or heparan sulfate to be more precise, i have thought of you. I had an awesome article bookmarked that explained GAGs. Now when i click on it, it doesn't work.

Anyway, since I have WAY raised the bar on this research...spending hours learning about words like endoplasmic reticulum (sp?), cellular matrix, endothelium, etc.

I'm wondering if you could scan this search and see if there is more info here, that can be useful. I will be posting much of what I'm trying to piece together on the bony tumor thread, as soon as I can. Since we have genetic evidence of a problem with sulfur metabolism (the sulfur appears to get stuck just outside of the nucleaus of the cell instead of being transported to the cell surface where it is used in further signaling or stored in the extracellular matrix, where it can be picked up and used in other functions), i'm very hopeful that this could prove to be a least part of the picture that could be helpful for at least a subset, if not many people dealing with TS/tics (wouldn't THAT just be too much to hope for!).

Since you have an interest and a great knack for picking out useful info and posting in a way others can understand, I thought you would be just the person to help me out here :)

the first is the entire search, the 2nd two are articles that I read thru

http://www.google.com/search?q=susan+owens...amp;rlz=1I7DMUS

Have to scroll down to the part written in english

Susan Owens

http://www.genitoricontroautismo.org/index...7&Itemid=46

symptoms of sulfur met

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:DK4aM...;cd=6&gl=us

Kim,

Thank you for your reply. It sounds like you have been very busy reading and studying very complicated topics!!!! Thank you also for your kind words. I would love to look over the articles and see if I can capture anything I can share.

It is really interesting this whole sulfation system of the body. It sure would be nice if standard doctors would put the effort forth to really see the bigger picture, of what is truly going on, rather then masking the situation with medication.

Keep up the good research. I will not have a lot of time this weekend to read over the articles, due to Easter, but I will try over the beginning of the week to look at them.

Have a great Easter/Resurrection Day Everyone!!!!

Carolyn N.

Kim,

I just wanted to let you know this week has gotten a little busy for me to really sit down and read the articles you discussed in your post. I know the weekend is packed for us too. So I should be able to get to them the beginning of next week. I just wanted you to know I had not forgot. I tried doing a personal e-mail but your inbox was full (you must be very popular :blink:)

By the way, you had asked if Daniel was vaccinated when he was born. I forgot to respond to you on the post. Anyhow, I had done a bunch of reading, prior to his birth, and declined the vaccination. The only vaccination he has had was Polio and 3 DT (not the DPT). My biggest regret is we even did these. My naturopathic doctor at the time told me to do at least these three at around 8 months of age.

Knowing what I know now with Daniel's body there is no way I would ever do these if I could go back in time. I actually had planned on doing zero on him but this Naturopathic Doctor talked me into it. But ultimately it was my decision but it is a decision I regret. But thank God, literally, that I did not do more on him. I believe I could be dealing with a much worse situation. How different my life and his life would be!

I have not heard back from my doctors office regarding the mg amount for the Acetylcystiene. Once I do I will post it.

Have a great and awesome day!

Carolyn

So I heard back from my doctor's office regarding the Acetyl-L-Cysteine doseage. My son Daniel who is 52 pounds and 7 1/2 years old, is taking a 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. A 1/4 teaspoon equals 800 mg. So he has been taking 1600 mg a day. I just bought some at the store tonight and it is 600 mg. So I am planning on giving him two 600 mg twice a day rather then continuing purchasing the product directly from the doctors office.

My doctor's office did say to increase water intake while taking this product. I notice my bottle of N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine, that I purchased today, says to take one a day. So I don't know if my doctor is suggesting is in the "extreme" amount of what should be taken or if that is actually standard.

Have a great day!

Carolyn

Just wanted to add what I found today: (my apologies if someone else has already brought this up)

N-Acetyl Cysteine is a more stable compound than taking oral cysteine, but as it is metabolized, some N-Acetyl Cysteine may be oxidized and become insoluble. This may form kidney stones. It is therefore recommended that individuals taking NAC take 3 times as much vitamin C when taking NAC to prevent the NAC from being oxydized. Diabetics should consult their physician before using N-Acetyl-Cysteine, since it may have an insulin-blocking effect.

found it here: http://www.healingdaily.com/oral-chelation...-what-it-is.htm

Just thought I would inform in case anyone is planning to supplement on their own w/o a Dan doc or anything.

Caryn,

Thank you so much for this great article. I had read about the Kidney Stone possibility and that you need to increase water intake but I did not know about the increasing vitamin C.

I didn't realize all the other amazing benefits of ACN. From this article, it sounds like it does a lot for a lot of different situations.

The only thing I was confused by was it said to take 3 times the amount of vitamin C. I am wondering if this means 3 times the amount of the ACN or 3 times the amount of a daily requirement for vitamin C?

Have a great weekend?

Kim,

I had some time to read the articles you posted. All very interesting! It is amazing what the sulfation system of the body does for a person and all the problems it can create when it is not running properly (allergies, asthma, mood changes, tics etc).

One thing that I started to theorize about while reading this material and also have pondered on for almost two years is why is it that tics go up to much around the age of 10? I have to wonder, from the reading I did in these articles, is if it is because of the relationship with sulfation being a key part in processesing hormones through the body (you have to scroll down a ways to read it in English) http://www.genitoricontroautismo.org/index...df=1&id=107 .

Well it is known that when a person starts pubery their body requires more B6 at this time of life http://www.autism.com/ari/editorials/ed_pu...ionseizures.htm. You then jump over and realize that in order to have a smooth running sulfation system your body requires adequate amounts of B6. So what I am wondering are the two worlds colliding, so to speak, where both the hormones and the sulfation system are competing for B6 in the body. Perhaps somebody with tics, who has a poor sulfation system, are so poorly drained of B6 at this age simply because of the increased need at this time of life? So then your sulfation system is not running properly and now cannot process all the extra hormones coming at it along with all the other things the sulfation system is trying to keep on (neurotransmitters, histamine, and toxins). So hence you have this backed up sulfation system that would make your dopamine ultimately increase which would ultimately cause more tics.

This article discusses the need for adequate B6 with the sulfation system http://www.newtreatments.org/fromweb/sulfur.html .

Also what stuck out to me, is how poor sulfation can cause small portrions of the gut wall to be exposed and hence a person can get leaky gut from it (I know Candida can cause a leaky gut too and the sulfation system has to process out the toxins of the candida as well). I remembering reading this before but this article explains, to a point, that a leaky gut can cause allegeries http://www.genitoricontroautismo.org/index...df=1&id=107 (again you have to scroll down a ways) . So now your body is producing histamine in reaction to the allergies. This histamine is also processed through the sulfation system and when it gets backed up so do your neurotransmitters including dopamine again which would increase tics.

To me it seems like making sure your sulfation system is running properly is absolutely key in managing tics. It makes all the sense in the world that if this "basic" system of the body is not functioning correctly you are going to have problems. This system of the body is just responsibile for handling so much.

This same article http://www.genitoricontroautismo.org/index...df=1&id=107 , near the bottom of the page, says you should start adding supplemental sulfates slowly because it seems your body has to adjust to it.

I can say again that Daniel is still doing great. He ate some pink cotton candy the other day at a birthday party. I say his eyes start going within 30 minutes of eating it but they were not severe. I had some epsom salts lotion I had made up with me and I just rubbed it on his arms, legs and chest. The tics went away. I think that all the supplements I am giving him and the epsom salts lotion is truly doing wonders for him.

Have a blessed day,

Carolyn

Carolyn,

So is B6 something that is important in this, I mean do you need to have B6 around to help the other guys, if you get what I mean? I forget now, but is B6 good for hi-histamine, under methylator?--curious if that info is consistent. I think you have looked at that info, right?

Faith

Excellent Carolyn!

Now think about this. We have two posters here that have each had testing done that has shown a mutation in either MTHFR and one with a CBS mutation.

From one of your links

Your body makes secretin, but it also makes sulfate from the amino acids cysteine and methionine. There may be a reason this isn't

happening appropriately.

Now check out this page

http://www.med.uiuc.edu/hematology/PtHomocysteinemia.htm

* my note MS=methionine synthesis......you can supplement methionine, but you may not avoid the problem of increased homocysteine by going that route.

MS requires vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) in order to carry out its reaction. If a patient does not have an adequate supply of vitamin B12, then homocysteine is not converted to methionine and the net result is an increase in homocysteine.

and

MTHFR is required to form 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate (as depicted above). This is required in order to convert homocysteine to methionine. If this can not be formed, then homocysteine levels will increase.

and

The final enzyme associated with elevated homocysteine levels in CBS; this is required in order to convert homocysteine to cysteine. If this enzyme is not present, then homocysteine levels will increase.

This one makes me wonder if a high fever or an increase in problems during hot months could factor in?

A person who is heterozygous (see *below) for a mutation in CBS or in MTHFR will generally have mild increases in homocysteine levels. There is another type of mutation that can occur with MTHFR. This mutation results in a thermolabile variant (that means that the protein becomes inactivated with heat[/quote]

Carolyn,

So is B6 something that is important in this, I mean do you need to have B6 around to help the other guys, if you get what I mean? I forget now, but is B6 good for hi-histamine, under methylator?--curious if that info is consistent. I think you have looked at that info, right?

Faith

Hi Faith,

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been extremely busy! Anyhow this article may explain what you are referring too. The only thing I do get confused about with the over or under methylator is Daniel falls into several of the categories within each one. I assume from what I have read he is an under methylator but I also know he seems to have histamine issues which would throw him, from what I understand into the over methylator :huh: . Anyhow here is the article http://www.enzymestuff.com/methylation.htm . But you are correct B6 falls right into all of this and the article does explain B6 as part of the process. Again I still do not completely get the under/over thing but it seems like a guideline at best from what I can understand.

Carolyn N.

WOW KIM!!!

My head is still spinning. How in the world were you able to even be able to put that all together :huh: . It is such a complicated process. If one part of the chain is missing, like adequate amounts of B vitamins or magnesium, so many other parts are affected. I just feel so blessed to understand that it is supplements Daniel needs and not the good old doctor's prescription that just ultimately exasperate the situation in so many.

You are really on a hot trail Kim. Keep up the good work. You may yet be the one to figure this whole thing out. Wouldn't that be AMAZING!

Carolyn N.

Carolyn,

NAC is currently being investigated in a US clinical trial for its effectiveness in the treatment of OCD! I'll look for more info regarding the specific trials and publication dates. On a side note, it is an immunomodulator as well, and is suspected of reducing inflammation in cystic fibrosis patients.

Tami

Carolyn,

I just want to thank you for this information. My son is 9 years old and has a transcient tic. Recently it has interfered with his day to day life more than usual. He does this mouth stretching movement and he has been doing it quite a bit, so much that he severed the piece of flesh that attaches the upper lip to his gums. This has been very painful to him and it wouldn't heal because we can' t control the tics. We took him to two pediatricians who basically told me to do nothing (no lie). I was so frustrated. They would not even consider ordering any blood work for us so we could get to the bottom of the cause for tics. Anyway I read your post and decided to give it a whirl. I have switched to an all organic diet, he takes epsom salt baths 3x a week, a liquid vitamin and Omega 3.

Well he has been coming home from school crying in pain for three days and on Friday I stopped and picked up Vitamin C, Apple Cider Vinegar Capsules, N-Acetly-L-Cysteine and Yeast Guard. I gave him 500 mg of Vitamin C, 500 mg of Apple Cider Vinegar, 600 mg of N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine and a capsule of Yeast Guard. Within 20 minutes the crying was replaced with laughing and sheer joy. My son was so overjoyed that his tics had diminished to almost nothing that he begged me the next morning to give him another dose of supplements. His mouth has healed up quite nicely over the weekend. My ex-husband was beside himself and said it truly works. My son said that within 15-20 minutes of taking his supplements his tics subside considerably.

We have an appointment with a Homeopath this Wednesday and will run it by him to make sure this will not harm him in any way. We also ordered Bentonite Clay and I'm hoping to get good results from that. I honestly believe it is metal poisoning from vaccines and I'm hoping the bentonite clay will help to detox him faster than Epsom Salts. It breaks my heart because I'm currently pregnant and we have decided not to vaccinate our daughter at all. My son was in tears because he said she will never have tics and he has to live with them. This was before this weekend. I assured him that we would get rid of his tics. Thanks for making an honest woman out of me. I can't tell you the level of frustration I have with his pediatricians at this point. As far as I'm concerned they are worthless. At least our homeopath told us to use Calendula to heal his mouth and relieve the pain till we got in to see him on Wednesday. I've prayed to God for guidance in this matter and told my son to have faith. I'm so grateful that the parents on this website have shared so much valuable knowlege in helping us to find some relief for our son.

Thank you so much!!

God Bless you Carolyn,

Nicole

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share with you some information I am excited about. Some of you may remember, back in January, I posted regarding my theory as to what was truly going on with my son's tics. I believe it is a lack of something called sulfate ions in his liver. Here is the post I did about this for those that want a refresher or never read it http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=sulfation . Well I went to one of my Naturopathic Doctors, here in Arizona and who I am convinced is about one of the world's smartest doctor, and presented my theory to him.

I explained to him, that in my reading of the sulfate ion system, I came to understand that neurotransmitters (it is the dopamine neurotransmitter that directly impacts tics) can be directly affected by increased histamine. When your sulfate ion system is not working correctly it cannot process this histamine properly so hence it also is unable to processes out excessive neurotransmitters because of it. He said this is exactly correct. I then explained to him I understood that this same system of the body would help process out toxins in artificial food. He said that is correct too.

I went on to explain to him that I tested my high histamine theory out by giving my son Benadryl. I explained to him how it seemed to reduce his tics. He said to me, at this point, all this made sense to him.

As a side note, since I have read this on the forum, I asked him why a small percentage of people have an increase with tics with Benadryl (or any anti-histamine). He explained it is called a paradoxical effect. He said some people's bodies react negatively because their body sees the histamine being lowered with the medication basically as a threat (histamine protects the body). So their bodies up histamine production to replace the lost histamine. So in otherwords, their bodies get a surge histamine because the body is basically freaking out since the histamine was lowered with the medication. Since now you have a surge of histamine being produced, you then have neurotransmitters (dopamine) elevated and hence increased tics.

He went on to explain to me that when someone is high histamine they have a high PH balance in the body (high histamine = high PH balance). He said that one way to get histamine down, which in turn would help not overwhelm the sulfate ion system so much, is to reduce the PH balance of the body. He said the simplest way to do this is with Apple Cider Vinegar. This article, about the sulfation system of the body, basically comes to the same conclusion http://www.newtreatments.org/fromweb/sulfur.html (when I tried to pull it up when typing this post it gave me an error message so hopefully it is still accessible). I have started giving my son, Daniel, Apple Cider Vinegar 500 mg twice a day in capsules. You can also buy it just in plain old liquid form but I think it is pretty strong. I don't know how you could hide the flavor. Anyhow he has taken this for the past 3 1/2 weeks.

The other supplement, that I am truly excited about and completely believe is an answer to prayer, is called N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine. My doctors words to me was this "if you are right about his tics being a sulfation problem then this will be the ace in the hole". Well I have seen dramatic improvement in his tics in terms of his tolerance for being able to take in more artificial foods since being on it for 3 1/2 weeks.

Let me explain to you what I mean by dramatic. I have purposely held back sharing this information until I could have a really good sense that his improvement was not a fluke. We have been on spring break for the past 1 1/2 weeks. I thought this will be my time to test out how well this supplement is working. To remind everyone Daniel is very sensitive to artificial foods. Especially yellow #5 and #6, caramel color, Red #40, and high fructose corn syrup. His biggest "enemy" is MSG. Anyhow, I started letting him everyday have something with artificial ingredients , but have not given him an MSG food yet, since being on Spring Break. For example, he has had a blue "Icee", donuts from Entemanns, a snow cone, Sprite, cookies from the mall with green sprinkles, and brownies from a box mix (there were other items too but basically one or two items a day).

The long and short of it is he has had next to no tics. Normally, especially with all he has had the last 1 1/2 weeks, he would be at a fairly high level by now. I can compare this because I have been observing him for the past 18 months, since the tics really started to flare, and I have noticed over that time that it is always a buildup in his system. His body can tolerate some very minimal artificial foods but not much. The diet he has eaten, the last 1 1/2 weeks, is a considerable amount for him. I do have to say he was chewing on the inside of his cheek some and making it sore. But this was sort lived for about a day. I have seen a few eye rolls, maybe a total of 7, over the past 1 1/2 weeks. But again vast improvement over all. Every day I tell my husband what he has eaten and he cannot believe that he is not having an increase in tics.

So how is it that this N-acetyl-L-Cysteine works? It helps in the process of producing something called glutathione, which my doctor explained is directly related to the sulfation system (I had a hard time finding information on the Internet to share regarding a direct relationship to the sulafation system). But I did find this http://ezinearticles.com/?Nutritional-Info...e&id=388569 and also this http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/amino-acids/cysteine.php (we are not using the exact product advertised on this page but it was good information).

I am giving Daniel 1/4 teaspoon of the N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine twice a day (I am packing it in empty capsules I ordered from the Vitamin Shoppe). I purchased the supplement through my doctors own pharmacy. I am going to need to find out how many (mg's) this is exactly and I forgot to call today. I am sure some may be interested in trying to figure out the correct doseage amount for their own situation. So I will try to remember to call the office on Monday and will post my findings. Also, what is strange is the longer we have it the "gummier" it is getting. It looks like it go wet and is getting sticky. It smells very much like sulfur.

According to this article, it is just a quick blip in it, there is theories the N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine helps with OCD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine .

With all this said, I have to remind you these are by no means all the supplements Daniel is taking. He is also on the following. He is 7 1/2 years and old 53 pounds.

* Bonnie Grimaldi's TS-Plus (I cut him back to 6 a day because the enzymes should be helping his body process the vitamins more efficiently)

* additional Magnesium Taurate 250 mg a day

* Glycine 4600 mg a day (Amino acid to help neurotransmitters. My doctor said if the N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine worked we could stop giving Daniel the Glycine)

* additional 500 mg of vitamin C a day

*Omega 3 (Nordic Naturals Junior)

* Dr. Houstons No-Phenol enzyme (we are currently up to 3/4 of a capsule a day). This is to help process artifical food dyes and salicylates.

* Dr. Houstons AFP-Peptizyde (to help process proteins and carbs. It also helps improve "gut" health) (2 a day)

* Phosphatidylserine (this one my Naturopathic doctor really thinks is beneficial to the brain. He said he has seen tremendous results for all kinds of things with brain function. But it is not an overnight result it takes, I believe up to two months to build in the system. Also it is rather $$$$$. I read it also helps counteract the side effects of MSG to a point).

* pro-biotic called MindLinx (it also helps with processing gluten and getting the gut healthy).

*GABA for anxiety

We break up his vitamins both morning and night.

I also prepackage my vitamins in ziplocks. I can do this with everything except the pro-biotic, which needs refrigeration, and the Glycine and Gaba (they are both powder which I add into an all natural lemonade called Simply Lemonade). It has made life so much easier because I do not have to compile all these vitamins everyday. What I do is a put out 40 bowls or cups and just go through like a factory and put vitamins in each bowl and then package them up in a ziplock. I only have to really mess with them once every 20 days.

It is hard for me to quantify the exact impact that the two new supplements have had on Daniel because I think it is everything working together as a whole. But I can say, as I said earlier, he has had remarkable improvement in being able to tolerate artificial foods. Also, please remember I also started him on Dr. Houston's products, back in January, http://www.houstonni.com/ which help with the processing of his foods. So I AM SURE this has helped him a lot too.

Anyhow, I am excited because I believe these two new products, N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine and Apple Cider Vinegar, will greatly help Daniel. I do have some further questions for my doctor regarding the N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine. For example, I read it can effect copper and zinc levels. I also read that you should drink water to avoid something called cystine renal stones (kidney stones). But I don't know, until I talk to him what the likely hood is for these "side effects". Everything else I read it seems to be a very safe non-toxic product. Although, I do not know how someone would react if they had issues with sulfur products in general. This certainly has a sulfur property to it. IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU OR YOUR CHILD REACT NEGATIVELY TO SULFUR, I WOULD CERTAINLY RUN IT BY YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. Perhaps someone on the forum may know the answer to this.

One thing interesting about N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine is this is what they give patients when they overdose on Tylenol. And speaking of Tylenol, it is EXTREMELY hard on the sulfation system of the body. I read that Tylenol wipes out your sulfation system of its sulfate ions for a period of time. My doctor confirmed this for me. So people with tics should be aware of this because what happens is now with a wiped out sulfate ion system, again your body is now unable to process excess neurotransmitters, toxins, and histamine out of the body.

The other thing that is hard on the sulfation system is chlorine. I read, in the above mentioned article http://www.newtreatments.org/fromweb/sulfur.html again, unfortunately, was not coming up you should immediately do epsom salts baths after swimming to help with the sulfate ions that were destroyed from the chlorine. I have been doing the epsom salts homemade lotion I have posted about previously and it is real convenient. This is how in Karen DeFlice's book "Enzymes for Autism and other Neurological Conditions" it describes how to make them. On page 244 I quote "Cheap and easy. Heat some Epsom salts with a little water to dissolve them. I put about one teaspoon of water in three tablespoons of salts and microwave for a minute or so. Add more water if necessary. Then mix this into around four ounces of any lotion or cream you like. I have used suntan lotion, hand cream, cocoa butter, body lotion, aloe vera cream, whatever I find that is on sale or inexpensive without the chemicals I am trying to avoid."

I would be real curious if anyone is going to a Naturopathic doctor in the near future what their doctor thinks of N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine? So if someone is and is willing to ask I would love to hear a different perspective.

I also have been meaning to post, for some time, that I read drinking more water will help lower elevated neurotransmitter levels. So when your child is experiencing more tics you might want to try to get them to "flush" their system with some good old water. I am not saying it will get rid of them completely but it certainly will not hurt and perhaps you will see a reduction.

I am excited because I have prayed about this for Daniel. I truly believe God has given me some amazing answers and I pray it may all help others too.

****************************************************************************************************

I just wanted to add an update because I thought it was real important. It was posted further down in this thread that if you are diabetic you should check with your doctor first before taking Acetyl-L-Cysteine because it could block insulin.

Also, it was posted by the same person that you should take 3 times the amount of vitamin C to help prevent Kidney stones from forming. I am not sure if this means 3 times the amount of the mg's of Acetyl-L-Cysteine or if it means what the current daily allowance would be. But the same poster, Caryn, had a great article that states all the wonderful benefits of Acetyl-L-Cysteine so I would take time to read it if you can.

****************************************************************************************************

Have a blessed day,

Carolyn N.