ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS and Viruses

emma1

CP,

I'm almost positive that this Dr. wouldn't have recognised the word thimerosal if he would have looked at flu vax insert. Then if he google it, he would see numrous studies disproving a connection to neuro problems. If he bothered to find the 3 separate studies showing increased incidence in tics in boys (which the CDC acknowledges) he would say the tiny amt in the flu shot far outweigh the risk. Hence my inability to trust that these people are really qualified to advise me in this area :unsure:

Kelly,

What you have described with your son and the intrusive thoughts, needing to tell you things, unspecified fears, etc., and the recent strep infection, and the improvement after antibiotics is classic PANDAS. It is stuff I have seen with my kids. Have you already looked into that?

We have a huge history with strep, however, in my guys case i think that any assoc problems are yes connected to strep but more to the functioning of the overall immune system, not a full blown auto immune attack resulting in the kind of symptoms that many report here. I wouldn't say that I have ever seen either of the boys "wake up a different child." Our illness related symptoms are usually in the way of tics, sometime after they were largely recovered. Neither ever tic while in the throws of illness. This is the first time since I have really gotten into this whole thing, that i can say that i clearly saw any type of psyc. assoc problems. My oldest son used to wake up (not really awake) and say he was sorry..over and over. At the time, i didn't know enough to look for those episodes in relationship to illness.

Since looking at this heparan sulfate issue, I have been trying to see what i could come up with, regarding illness. If you get bored during this blessed holiday weekend, you might want to relax with this little study :lol: I totally expected to find that the inability to synthesize (whoa how do you spell that?) heparan sulfate would leave them more vulnerable to strep. This almost looks like they would be less vunerable????? Now I have to look at the dermation sulfate stuff. I will grow old (er) and die before i really know enough to make a difference here (big sigh with a smile). I hope there are no tics in heaven, or i'm afraid ill be right back at it. :mellow:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/1...33.2003.03600.x

Has anyone ever been told exactly what reactive antibodies appear to be causing a problem? Searching the things mentioned here, was quite enlighteneing.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=1853370

A number of proteins of varying size have been identified as possible antigenic target proteins in the sera of tic disorder and early-onset OCD patients. Two studies have identified a protein of 60 kDa as a possible target (Church et al., 2003; Hoekstra et al., 2003), while a third study showed numerous proteins with different molecular weights as contributing to changes in TS antibody repertoires (Wendlandt et al., 2001). Most recently three neuronal glycolytic proteins, pyruvate kinase, aldolase and enolase have been suggested to be potential autoantigens in a group of patients with post-streptococcal movement and psychiatric disorders (Dale et al., 2006).