ACN Latitudes Forums

More on coconut oil

CSP

Please feel free to add any info you all might have on coconut oil.

I'm interested in the ability of coconut oil to distroy Candida albicans cells. If this is a natural way of treating yeast would one have a die off?

To avoid buying yet another capsule, could one get the monolaurin from a couple tablespoons of coconut oil?

Now the reason I ask is because in just 10 months of using olive oil in my cooking my son's oleic acid skyrocketed. (spectracell lab tests)

I'm really intrested in knowing if our kids could benefit from daily doses of coconut oil to help with the exposure of strep, because of the antimicrbial properties in coconut oil?

Thanks everyone,

C.P.

I'm really intrested in knowing if our kids could benefit from daily doses of coconut oil to help with the exposure of strep, because of the antimicrbial properties in coconut oil?

This would be great! The kids and I get Strep way too often around here! I would love a way to prevent it!

Dr. Mercola's website has a lot of info on the benefits of coconut oil. You should check it out. www.mercola.com

I'm interested in the ability of coconut oil to distroy Candida albicans cells. If this is a natural way of treating yeast would one have a die off?

To avoid buying yet another capsule, could one get the monolaurin from a couple tablespoons of coconut oil?

Now the reason I ask is because in just 10 months of using olive oil in my cooking my son's oleic acid skyrocketed. (spectracell lab tests)

Thanks everyone,

C.P.

CP,

How about cooking with coconut oil or add it to your salad dressing? I cook with it but my kids don't like the strong taste in food. You can also use it on skin. However, i find the strong fragrance of the oil makes me hungry and it is a bit greasier than olive oil on the skin.

Pat

Yes, patty, I just started cooking with coconut oil about 2 weeks ago. Last year I did make the most moist cake I have ever tasted, and used coconut oil, and not the vegatable oil the recipe called for. I make my son homemade granola.

2 tbs melted coconut oil

2 tbs raw honey

1 tsp cinnamon

1 cup oats

Your choice of nuts or seeds, dried fruit.

put all together in a bowl and mix, spread out on a oven safe dish and and bake for 20 min or until just turning brown.

Let cool.

He loves it, and the coconut oil really gives it a yummy flavor.

He eats it as a snack or a bowl of cereal.

C.P.

Hi C.P.

Lots of people in the UK use MCT oil as a candida treatment, and I've read lots of posts that say they have found it better than other remedies and medication like nystatin. You can chill it and then use it as a spread on toast etc.

Kirkmans is one brand that I could suggest to be pure and of good quality.

Hope this helps.

Jules

We've had our son on "Cocobiotic" which is made from baby coconuts and supposedly very high in important probiotic material for a while to work on candida and clostridia with very good results according to labwork we've gotten back.

www.bodyecology.com and find the link to cocbiotic.

Thanks everyone,

C.P.

When I was on vacation in Bali a few years ago, I had terrible sinus congestion that nothing seemed to help. One of the hotel staff brought me a vial of coconut oil and told me to rub it around my nose and temples. It was incredible--I had almost immediate relief. I used it for about four days and my sinuses cleared completely. Since then, that has been my remedy of choice (although it is messy and the coconut oil has a strong smell--but to me it's worth it).

I since learned (from my aunt) that raw sesame oil (not the toasted Chinese sesame oil) has similar benefits. Sesame oil is also used in India as a throat gargle to kill strep and other bacteria. Ayurvedic medicine highly recommends massage with sesame oil because it guards against bacteria and fungi. In Southeast Asia, massage is done with coconut oil for similar reasons. I've started massaging my kids with both of these oils, not only for the health benefits, but because it relaxes them and they love the physical touch. If you don't like the lingering smell, you can do it just before a bath, although it is good to let the oil absorb into the skin for a while.

If you or your child is on a gluten-free diet, you might want to check out coconut flour as well.

great thread CP :unsure:

we have incorporated coconut products into daily diet

the capsular Monolaurin is a specifically formulated "natural antimicrobial" and so it really does pack the full punch when needed, which is why we still give that in addition

It's available from the Vitamin Shoppe

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/brow....jsp?id=CV-1068

CP,

In regard to your granola receipe, doesn't the high heat temperature in the oven destroy the raw honey benefits? I am thinking perhaps just using regular honey, since raw honey costs more than regular honey.

By the way, 305 degrees in the oven?

Pat

Yes, Patty, I think the heat will distroy the enzymes. I always buy a case of 5lb of really raw honey on line so I never thought about the cost. I'm sure you could use any type of sweetner.

I did bake it at 350.

C.P.