ACN Latitudes Forums

Antibiotics for Strep

Hope

My almost 9 yo has strep. It did not show up on the rapid culture at the pediatrician's this morning but it did show up in his blood test results from the environmental doctor. I am really thinking that he constantly has a low Strep infection. We will be checking on that for sure!

My question is: What do you do about antibiotics? Do you have special antibiotics made up that are free of all the JUNK they put in them? I hate that they have all the garbage in them that we try to avoid!

I asked to have his prescription filled through a compounding pharmacy. They are doing Zithromax using only Stevia to sweeten it a bit and take off the bitter edge. Hoping my guy will take it!

Unfortunately, the pharmacy just called and said it will not be covered under my insurance! ARGH! $45 for what we could get for $8 if we didn't care about the junk. So frustrating.

What do you about this? Do you just give the regular antibiotics or go a different route?

I just went through this with my children. Three of my four children were diagnosed with pertussis last week and all of us had to go on Zithromax. The compounding pharmacy I was going to use so that they did not have to take the Zithromax liquid with red dye said it would cost me over $100 to have it compounded. What we did instead was to crush the Zithromax white tablets and mix it in applesauce or anything you can get your child to take. It tastes bad, but they dealt with it. Most Zithromax comes in pink caplets, but this pharmacy gets it from a manufacturer that does not make it with coloring. The pharmacist said that was perfectly fine to crush the pills. I did this for my sons ages 1, 5, and 7. I have also opened Keflex capsules and dumped the powder in juice, which the pharmacist said was fine. You can do that with a lot of meds if you just check with the pharmacist first. Good luck.