ACN Latitudes Forums

9 Year Old son displaying Tics - Very worried

Hi There,

My 9 year old son has developed a tic, whereby he slightly throws his head back. He started doing this last week. I remember when he was around 4 or 5 he used to blink his eyes, but this went away. I really feel sick to my stomach as I fear he may have signs of tourette syndrome. His dad has also noticed this but seems to think it will go away. Have not been to the doctor yet, should i go ? Don't know if there is any connection but last week he looked reallly tired and has a bad cold, no sore throat,. He also lets out a repetitive cough. I cam accross this website which i think is fantastic. any comments would be most most helpful, Thank You.

welcome Nicola

many children do have transient childhood tics which seem to resolve without intervention. And in most cases this is not Tourette related.

the combination of illness and the tic is however something to look at more closely, especially with the growing evidence for microbe indiced tics (commonly known as PANDAS when strep induced, and PITANDS when related to other microbes)

there are so many other things that can cause these tics....like reactivity to artifical dyes and sweeteners etc in foods (which most of our kids seem to have), and actual food allergies like gluten or dairy, to photosensitivity where flicker from TV or computer can trigger tics and also the growing evidence of harm from mercury and heavy metals, childhood vaccines and so much more

we have a thread here on some basic info that may be helpful for you as you begin looking into all this

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

on one of the posts there you will also find the link to an article on Finding Triggers for Tics

hope you find answers and effective treatments.

it can all seem very overwhelming at first, so do just take it a step at a time while you go thru all the info

Nicola,

Can I ask if the tics at age 4/5 started after your child was vaccinated? I see a lot of parents write in about tics after vaccines.

My son does the eye blinking. He had the head jerking for a little while. We eliminated the head swinging when we changed his diet....all thanks to this forum.

I hope you find info here that it helpful!!!!! Read on!!!! You will learn a lot from these parents!!!

Nicola,

Welcome. By all means don't jump to a worse case scenerio.

I'm wondering if you used any cold medicines during your son's cold last week. Did you give him tylenol? Any family history of tic disorders?

hate to overwhelm you with questions, but if you have been reading thru the threads here, you probably know there are a lot of parents that are really determined to find the best way to keep our kids safe and healthy. Sharing info has been such a huge part of this forum, we don't want you to feel left out! :)

Many of us have seen neurologist. The majority (with a few exceptions) have not found it to be very helpful. I guess my personal feeling is that it's not a bad idea in regards to ruling out other conditions. However, if they determine "it's just a tic," you will probably leave with a wait and see approach and not really any other useful information.

Nicola,

Welcome. By all means don't jump to a worse case scenerio.

I'm wondering if you used any cold medicines during your son's cold last week. Did you give him tylenol? Any family history of tic disorders?

hate to overwhelm you with questions, but if you have been reading thru the threads here, you probably know there are a lot of parents that are really determined to find the best way to keep our kids safe and healthy. Sharing info has been such a huge part of this forum, we don't want you to feel left out! :)

Many of us have seen neurologist. The majority (with a few exceptions) have not found it to be very helpful. I guess my personal feeling is that it's not a bad idea in regards to ruling out other conditions. However, if they determine "it's just a tic," you will probably leave with a wait and see approach and not really any other useful information.

Thank you all for your replies, it is so reassuring that I can talk to you all about this, my husband i think does not want to discuss this as I think he may be a little worried as well. I am from scotland and here he was given his main jabs around the age of 2/3. There is no family history of Tourettes/Tics however, my brother was diagnosed with OCD last year. Is this a connection I wonder. I shall start with his diet, but what worries myself is that he is already very fussy when it comes to food, so eliminating for example milk, which he loves, i worry that he will not be getting enough nutrients. One thing to consider is that he play his nintendo ds pokeman game all the time he loves this game, if I take this away will this not get him stressed and thus make the tics worse? I will try one thing at a time. Once again to you all god bless for taking the trouble to reply.

I would start by looking at the strep induced tic angle. In fear of sounding like Kelly, ( meaning that she is much more knowledgeable on the subject and I am still learning) the other stuff can be looked into gradually, but strep has to be looked at now as it will go away and you will not know. Especially since he was sick recently, I would look at getting a strep test. If negative, strep culture and if that is negative, ask for the blood test. The test is ASO and anti-DNase B titers. My doctor hadn't heard of it, yet he was willing to run it. It is best to rule this out first as you only have a window of time before the titers go down.

Nicola,

Welcome,

We have such an active group if one is working or can't check in on a day one can really miss a lot.

Just wanted to add my hello, and glad you found this place, its a great little group of earthly saints.

Keep your questions coming, lots of really smart folks here.

C.P.

My son developed very similar tic patterns. He has a transient tic (a tic that changes form over time) We do believe it is associated with his vaccines. He had seizures after his first vaccine. Anyway In regards to the tics we were told not to be alarmed and that he would most likely outgrow it, if not just to learn to live with it. Well several weeks later he added an eye rolling tic that was so intense he could not focus his eyes on anything for a prolonged period and was experiencing severe headaches. My son is also 9. We have no family history of tics or tourettes. We have changed his diet and do epsom salt baths 3 times a week to detox which has helped a great deal. I use 2 cups per bath. We believe the toxins from the vaccines are the root of the problem and all the other reactions are basically the symptoms. Light was making his eye rolling worse. Light being emitted from television, computer, disco lights (roller skating) even sunlight. I don't like to think of the worse scenario but I also feel it's better to be safe than sorry. I don't want to wait for his condition to escalate into something that does further damage. I just feel I would rather have all my bases covered. When our Pediatrician told us to live with it, the first thing I did when I got home was set up a consultation with another Pediatrician, a Neurologist and a Homeopath.

Hi There,

My 9 year old son has developed a tic, whereby he slightly throws his head back. He started doing this last week. I remember when he was around 4 or 5 he used to blink his eyes, but this went away. I really feel sick to my stomach as I fear he may have signs of tourette syndrome. His dad has also noticed this but seems to think it will go away. Have not been to the doctor yet, should i go ? Don't know if there is any connection but last week he looked reallly tired and has a bad cold, no sore throat,. He also lets out a repetitive cough. I cam accross this website which i think is fantastic. any comments would be most most helpful, Thank You.