ACN Latitudes Forums

Overwhelmed by allergy test results!

BARGE... ghee receipe.

Hi Tami,

here is the recipe..

1. Use organic unsalted sweet butter sticks.

2. Melt the ghee in a pan (preferably not non-stick for health reasons). Keep the flame in medium setting.

3. Foam will begin to form on top and you will hear a lot of sputtering noise.

4. When the sputtering noise settles down and is reduced to almost nothing, it is time to take the pan from the flame. the liquid butter below the foam will be clear. This is the tricky part as leaving in in for too long may cause the ghee to be burnt.

5. Keep the pan out for 5-10 mins.

6. Using a strainer . strain the liquid into a container (preferrably not plastic as the liquid will still be hot and may induce plastic leaching).

7. Check back the container the next day (or after 12 hours). The ghee should have solidified and be golden in color.

Hope this helps.

-Nan

Betty,

After seeing Caryn's reorganization of your allergies, they were a lot easier for me to make sense of too. I see a lot of smoothies and icees in your future. I would run out this weekend and get a Magic Bullet (I have mentioned this product before. I have no affiliation with the company). I think Hamilton Beach makes a knock-off too. They are so much more convenient than a blender because you can make individual servings. They come with about 8 mini-blender cups and you can rinse them and put them in the diswasher after use. Smoothies will be your best friend when you are hiding supplements in foood! They are sweet and colorful so most kids love them.

Here are some suggestions:

Banana-berry smoothie

Orange-banana smoothie

Carrot juice Icee

Peach-applesauce

Watermellon Icee

I also use it to hide "green" foods. I pulverize them beyond recognition and sneak them into rice (quinoa works too). If it looks too green, some carrot will neutralize the color.

I think you are wise to start with the gluten. I will be surprised if its not the first thing out of the DAN doctor's mouth. My test results were faxed to the doctor several days before we received them in the mail. He called me between patients to tell me not to give my son any wheat products. We have actually been gluten free for about a month and a half, based on suspected intollerance. I was still shocked when I saw the results last week. His wheat gluten and gliadin were not just high, they were literally off the chart. It is very difficult, but it does get easier every day.

Tami

Betty,

After seeing Caryn's reorganization of your allergies, they were a lot easier for me to make sense of too. I see a lot of smoothies and icees in your future. I would run out this weekend and get a Magic Bullet (I have mentioned this product before. I have no affiliation with the company). I think Hamilton Beach makes a knock-off too. They are so much more convenient than a blender because you can make individual servings. They come with about 8 mini-blender cups and you can rinse them and put them in the diswasher after use. Smoothies will be your best friend when you are hiding supplements in foood! They are sweet and colorful so most kids love them.

Banana-berry smoothie

Orange-banana smoothie

Carrot juice Icee

Peach-applesauce

Watermellon Icee

I also use it to hide "green" foods. I pulverize them beyond recognition and sneak them into rice (quinoa works too). If it looks too green, some carrot will neutralize the color.

I think you are wise to start with the gluten. I will be surprised if its not the first thing out of the DAN doctor's mouth. My test results were faxed to the doctor several days before we received them in the mail. He called me between patients to tell me not to give my son any wheat products. We have actually been gluten free for about a month and a half, based on suspected intollerance. I was still shocked when I saw the results last week. His wheat gluten and gliadin were not just high, they were literally off the chart. It is very difficult, but it does get easier every day.

Tami

Thanks for the smoothie suggestions, that may be a great breakfast idea? Do you just use ice and fruit/veggies? I have not made a smoothie in many years but I recall using yogurt and milk. Since dairy and soy are out I was just wondering if they still taste good with ice only? And thanks for saying I am "wise" to start with gluten, its so hard knowing what is best! If you don't mind me asking, have you seen any improvements since going gluten free, and if so, how long did it take to see a difference? Thanks again, Betty

Betty,

Banana-berry smoothie

Orange-banana smoothie

Carrot juice Icee

Peach-applesauce

Watermellon Icee

Tami

Betty,

Icees are just ice cubes and juice slushed together.

Smoothies are thicker and I usually don't use ice. I usually use frozen berries, I save the fresh ones for snacks. Trader Joe's and Whole foods sell organic frozen berries. The banana is the single best ingredient. It adds a sweet taste and it thickens the texture so that a dairy product is not needed. When I started, I was using rice milk or soy milk. Now I just use banana.

Go poke around a Jamba Juice. Grab a menu and watch what they are doing behind the counter. The reason I bought the Magic Bullet in the first place is because my kids were Jamba Juicing me to death. They wanted to go all the time and it is a very expenive snack. Let me know if you don't have one and I'll pick up a menu.

Apparently it takes a very long time to get gluten out of the system and repair the damage. We have been gluten free for about seven weeks. The tics consistently waned. I may see one or two tics a day now. They are isolated events. When they started to wane I noticed that his boredom/watching tv/going to bed/eating tics went away first, while the extreme excitement ones were more persistent (fear/anxiety/playdates/Chuck E. Cheese). Now those have waned too, although I am not brave enough to take them (He has a 7 year old sister) back to Chuck E. Cheese.

I think it can sometimes take months to see a difference. This is not a quick fix.

Tami

Thanks, we just had a Jamba Juice open and now I have a great reason to go! Glad to hear I will now have use for all my over-ripe bananas :lol:

I am glad to hear you already noticed a difference with the gluten free diet, I know it takes time but I am glad to hear that it may not be 6 months!

Thanks again Tami!

Betty,

Icees are just ice cubes and juice slushed together.

Smoothies are thicker and I usually don't use ice. I usually use frozen berries, I save the fresh ones for snacks. Trader Joe's and Whole foods sell organic frozen berries. The banana is the single best ingredient. It adds a sweet taste and it thickens the texture so that a dairy product is not needed. When I started, I was using rice milk or soy milk. Now I just use banana.

Go poke around a Jamba Juice. Grab a menu and watch what they are doing behind the counter. The reason I bought the Magic Bullet in the first place is because my kids were Jamba Juicing me to death. They wanted to go all the time and it is a very expenive snack. Let me know if you don't have one and I'll pick up a menu.

Apparently it takes a very long time to get gluten out of the system and repair the damage. We have been gluten free for about seven weeks. The tics consistently waned. I may see one or two tics a day now. They are isolated events. When they started to wane I noticed that his boredom/watching tv/going to bed/eating tics went away first, while the extreme excitement ones were more persistent (fear/anxiety/playdates/Chuck E. Cheese). Now those have waned too, although I am not brave enough to take them (He has a 7 year old sister) back to Chuck E. Cheese.

I think it can sometimes take months to see a difference. This is not a quick fix.

Tami

Just a small tip, from someone who makes a LOT of smoothies: don't use overripe bananas. It doesn't taste right, and it doesn't add the same body. The bananas should ideally be perfectly ripe. If you can't get to them that day, simply freeze them, either whole straight into the freezer, or peeled and cut in chunks in a plastic bag or container. BUT... be sure to use them fairly quickly, like within a week or so, and be sure not to thaw them at all before using. To use the whole frozen banana, use a sharp knife to cut it into chunks, and then use the knife to slice the peel off each chunk.

I use a banana in every smoothie, something frozen (berries, or the banana if frozen, or peaches, etc.), and something liquid (milk, almond milk, rice milk, or juice... the ones with juice are our favourites by far... especially mango or papaya.) No ice.

Have fun!

Calicat

Nan,

Thank you.

Calicat,

I peel and freeze banana too. If you use frozen berry or banana, you don't have to add ice, which dilutes flavor. I somehow think that the low temperature helps to hide supplements too -- Its like it confuses the tongue!

I have found a use for overripe bananas. My kids are low sugar, so I make cookies sweetened with banana. Overripe ones work best.

Betty,

Tomorrow, I will post a banana-pumpkin cookie recipe for you since your little one is not allergic to either. I should warn you, my kids call them "poop cookies." This just speaks to their color. They still beg for them!

Tami

Calicat,

Thanks for the tip about the bananas, the smoothie I made this morning my son hated. I think it was because the banana was not ripe enough so I thought overripe would be perfect, but now I know better ^_^

Tami, thanks also for the cookie recipe, i know lots of baking is in my future, I told my husband I need to quit my job to grocery shop and cook full-time :blink:

Betty